Clew In
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Do you think you can pull the plug if you need to? QR

Postby Clew In » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Hey,

Video of a short drag:

It looks like he gets yanked over and then a split second until he gets yanked hard. This video shows how you need to be quick on the QR and it can save you from a bad day.

Clew In

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Do you think you can pull the plug if you need to? QR

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 pm

sometimes yes, sometimes not...but it has to be ALWAYS.

Takes a lot of training and thinking of it though!

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2

Postby Krazedkiter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:25 pm

QR would not have mattered in that situation because the rider had already made the error. Given the error the rider made, he would not have been able to pull thew QR. Here is what I mean:

He powered up the kite by diving it. Watch his hands while he turns the bar. That gives him the first yank. Then he freaks and hangs on to one side of the bar. Enter the fully powered kite loop.

Thats not a "shoulda pulled the QR" situation. Thats a shoulda let go of the bar. Thats improper training or needs a little more training.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:44 pm

expierence
Recognizing whats going to happen next,,
essential
1st being a dough head on the beach
2nd instead of sliding on his ass, he digs in
3rd being on the beach fukin around
4th trying to save it with a hand on the bar
5th no safety memorization
6th I love those dudes,
makes hangin on the beach so fun between sess's
so predictable :lol:
but I always wonder if they are going to get up

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Krazedkiter wrote:QR would not have mattered in that situation because the rider had already made the error. Given the error the rider made, he would not have been able to pull thew QR. Here is what I mean:

He powered up the kite by diving it. Watch his hands while he turns the bar. That gives him the first yank. Then he freaks and hangs on to one side of the bar. Enter the fully powered kite loop.

Thats not a "shoulda pulled the QR" situation. Thats a shoulda let go of the bar. Thats improper training or needs a little more training.
Hmmm. Watched the video 3-4 times and didn't see him steer the kite for the first yank. I did notice several feet of skid marks behind him before he got yanked. Looks like the wind suddenly came up or he may have rigged too big.

Just to clarify on letting go of the bar. Is your reasoning that if he let go of the bar, the kite would not have looped? That he could have tried to pull the QR?

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2

Postby Krazedkiter » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:48 pm

mobettah wrote:
Krazedkiter wrote:QR would not have mattered in that situation because the rider had already made the error. Given the error the rider made, he would not have been able to pull thew QR. Here is what I mean:

Hmmm. Watched the video 3-4 times and didn't see him steer the kite for the first yank. I did notice several feet of skid marks behind him before he got yanked. Looks like the wind suddenly came up or he may have rigged too big.

Just to clarify on letting go of the bar. Is your reasoning that if he let go of the bar, the kite would not have looped? That he could have tried to pull the QR?

Possibly regarding the first yank...its hard to see with this video. But it does show that...relative to the depower strap that is visible....his bar is sheeted in alot when he gets yanked. The resulting powered kite loop by hangin on to one side Im pretty sure about. The point is that failure to use the QR is not the moral of this story. Two errors were made that would have negated the need to use the QR. I do agree that conditions do look like he rigged too big but thats very hard to tell.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:10 pm

This is the video in higher resolution.
Well it would have been a link to it in higher resolution if somebody (Toby?) hadn't changed it.

I edited it back again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwpxKIDm6j8&fmt=18
Last edited by ronnie on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:29 pm

do you see the track in the sand? looks like he is completely overpowered, and maybe not even knowing what he is doing? Even after he stopped getting dragged, he does not release?

Whatever of letting go etc...he has just to concentrate on releasing, nothing else. I think we all think to much, instead of pulling the trigger...just as a REFLEX

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Krazedkiter wrote:
mobettah wrote:

Possibly regarding the first yank...its hard to see with this video. But it does show that...relative to the depower strap that is visible....his bar is sheeted in alot when he gets yanked. The resulting powered kite loop by hangin on to one side Im pretty sure about. The point is that failure to use the QR is not the moral of this story. Two errors were made that would have negated the need to use the QR. I do agree that conditions do look like he rigged too big but thats very hard to tell.
I looked at it again and noticed that too about much he was sheeted in. Also noticed that it looks like a fairly big gust blew through on the first yank. Just before he was yanked, the bar gets pushed out.

Sure glad it looks like he wasn't injured too badly - hopefully just shaken up.

sisky
Medium Poster

Postby sisky » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:27 pm

I want to chime in and say (i know this may sound like a broken record, but) the first thing everyone needs to learn and know how to use with out thinking is the QR period...

little story from a week ago..

My wife, that is still a relative beginner, she can stay up wind, but is very timid and is perfecting her technique, ran into a very scary situation. At our local spot the fisherman set their nets using empty plastic soda bottles anchored to the bottom. She dropped her kite and one of the steering lines became wrapped and locked around one of the bottle tops. This caused the kite to remain on a wing tip and somewhat powered up. She let go of the bar, but the kite kept pulling with the tension on the bottle. She pulled the kite QR on the bar which still did not relive all the pressure, so then she release the leash QR and all was good. She was about 200 meters off the beach when all this was going down. I was watching trying to figure out what the heck was going as it looked as if she was just trying to relaunch the kite. During this entire time she was being PULLED UNDERWATER from the pressure on the bottle anchored to the bottom! I could not tell since she was a far way off the beach........

as you can imaging she got to the beach sort of tripping out over the whole thing. But she did say one thing....She said thanks! Every time before and after I launch her kite, I go and stand next to her and make sure she shows me what she is going to do with the QR's if something was to go wrong. This time was no different, and she released everything perfect. She is sure if she did not know the proper way to do this she would have drown!!!!!!

She took a break from kiting the rest of that day, but jumped right back in the next day and had an epic session!!!!

if anything i hope this inspires people to know and practice the QR's. You may never need to use it....but then again you may!

Return to “Kitesurfing”