Favorite Beaches: Ft myers Beach - Lanark St
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com

My buddy flew away!!

Postby JumpinJoe » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Yesterday I went out and I had a guy with me that I have been out with a few times and he is a bit of a newbee. It was blowing like 15 to 16 and I knew it was going to get gusty if we saw a storm and I told him when I tell you to put your kite down do it. Off to our left the sky started to get darker and that was where the wind was coming from.

I also watched the weather and it said some gusty winds with some stroms may happen. So I was aware of what could happen and I told him also to be aware! My buddies wife was sittng on the beach and I told her to that when I tell them to put his kite down that he was to do it! NO riding it out! Is what I said to then and he said OK!

Well I did tell him and her to put it down and they did not do it. I saw the wind coming and I was telling him to put his kite down and he was fighting me on it and would not do it. As I am telling him to put it down I got stronger, Well I was not in a position to put mine down right at that second I was in the water and I moved out into the depper water to ride it out for a minute and I was fine but when I turned my head for a second to look at what I was doing and to get me release ready if I needed to use it, I did unhook my leash so if I let it go it was gone no second jerks for me.

I looked back to see if my buddy was ok and he was no where to be seen at all, NO KITE, NO buddy he was gone! I looked up I looked behind me I looked on the beach, he was no where to be found. I was still hangng on and wanted to keep control of what I had going on. But was going nuts in my head about where he was. Then I saw a few people running between 2 houses and running fast, So I knew it was to get him. I sat in the water and was getting tea bagged and yanked but I was fine. I was watching for a while and no one came out of where they ran to for 10 minutes and the wind was getting worse. It must have went from 15 to 35 in a second and then went to 45 after a few minutes, It was nuts!

Well I finally saw him WALK out! and he was holding his kite in his hand. He was a bit bloody but ok! I decided to come in at that point and had a few people help put my kite down.

Now I felt bad for him but I had to give him crap because he did not listen to me I would have had time to put my kite down if I didn't have to fight with him and he would not have gotten hurt if he would have listened to me. He was sorry and knew he was wrong.

There were so many things I could detail out to tell you how close it was that he could have killed him self that its not even funny. His words were "I saw my life pass before my eyes". he now has respect for the wind. He did figure it out the hard way.

tungsten222
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My buddy flew away!!

Postby tungsten222 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:50 pm

thx for sharing this story...can be very helpful for many of us.

But I wonder why it has not done a bit earlier? Why wait until it is very close? Not sure how long your discussion was...but maybe next time put your kite down first, if he doesn't listen. Then he will understand, that you are serious about it.

But, now he knows for sure!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:06 pm

Florida has been treated to some particularly violent and impressive squalls for weeks and virtually every day in some parts of the state. The wind, may be short lived and directly related to the thermal squalls moving to the ocean from inland. 50 mph gusts are common as is lightning. A guy was struck on a boat in SE Florida on Saturday btw. They have even more violent thermal squalls on the west coast of Florida I understand.

No one should be out in this stuff without a very clear idea of what is going on and likely to happen when. Having a kite up when the squall hits is a very bad idea. Should be down, secured and lines off well before any change in temperature, wind speed or direction. More of the same weather on the way too. The wind may be very short lived and bet you are within lightning strike range once the wind cranks up much. Summers are not good for kiting in Florida as a generality, this is just one reason why.

The shot below was taken on the way to the Tiki Beach Farewell party Saturday in Ft. Laud., FL
Attachments
0 Sanibel newgraph.gif
Was this your spike?
0 Sanibel newgraph.gif (28.27 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
0 west coast.jpg
What time did this happen. Here's a radar shot from around mid day.
0 west coast.jpg (252.3 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
06.6.09 squall line.jpg
This squall line a bit earlier before it crossed offshore
06.6.09 squall line.jpg (213.4 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
06.6.09 ft.l. squall IMG_2462.jpg
Have this stuff virtually every day. It chase the wind to the coast and then strikes, boom!
06.6.09 ft.l. squall IMG_2462.jpg (75.14 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ft Myers Beach
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic

Postby JumpinJoe » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks for your input and YES Rick Florida is not a good place to ride in the summer seeing that any wind is normally due to a storm of some kind. Also I will say we did have a few good days of wind and never got a storm at all. Also yesterday there were storms to the south of us by at least 50 miles and the sky we saw was very light and did not look that bad at all. No where near your picture at all. But it was still darker then a normal sunny blue sky day.

When we got hit it was just a super hard wind no storm, no rain, no lightning and the sky did not darken up. All the wind was from the system to the south of us and it was miles away. All I saw was a hard wind coming and I was in the water at the time and I wasn't going to be able to make it to a person that could grab my kite in time. I knew it was a strong wind by the look of the water. The white caps were really tight together and it was coming super fast. Thats why I was getting my buddy to put his kite down first. I just turned my head to get my kite ready to release and gear up for the hit and I turned my head back and he was gone!

Oh by the way my buddy was on a 17m and he is 250lbs, was on a 9m and I and 160lbs

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:54 pm

ok, that is a different story. thx for explaining! and scary!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Glad you guys came through OK, what time did this happen?

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic

Postby JumpinJoe » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:28 pm

RickI wrote:Glad you guys came through OK, what time did this happen?
Not totaly sure but maybe around 1:00 or so. I looked at the two closed meters and they only show wind in the 30's but I have been in 30's plenty of times and it was well into the 40's where I was at.

The meters I looked at are 20 miles to the north and the other was 20 miles to the south.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:04 pm

JumpinJoe wrote:
RickI wrote:Glad you guys came through OK, what time did this happen?
Not totaly sure but maybe around 1:00 or so. I looked at the two closed meters and they only show wind in the 30's but I have been in 30's plenty of times and it was well into the 40's where I was at.

The meters I looked at are 20 miles to the north and the other was 20 miles to the south.
Was this at south Sanibel? There is a radar loop up to and around 1 pm local time at:

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/d ... duration=3

Wind meter stations are always suspect due to wind shadow, averaging effects and other sources. I always try to get as good an estimate of wind speed as possible at the launch area for comparison. Also, wind speeds can vary substantially even over short distances. Looking at the ikitesurf wind records, there wasn't a lot of direction changes at 1 pm at the island and causeway stations. This suggests something other than a typical squall. Then again, there is a lot of storm activity around the area at that time per the radar. The skys looked pretty clear to the west and east with the squalls moving up from the SSW and off the water. Shortly after 1 pm a ton of storms were spawned over land to the east. These thermal squalls seem to be cooking off most afternoons these days at points around the state. Checking other stations north to around Tampa and further south usually show a wind spike around that time as well.

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic

Postby JumpinJoe » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Rick we were south of Sanibel and north of Banita Beach were on Ft Myers Beach, So I looked at the both meters and its not showing what we got hit with. There showing 25 to 35 between the two, I know the Sanibel meter on that direction does not get the best readings and I am not sure where the meter is in banita but its decently far away from where we were.

I can ride my 9m in 30 not well but also not getting tea bagged like that I was getting tea bagged like it was 40. And I was just sitting still for the most part waiting for it to calm down a bit, and till I knew it was safer to come in and land it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”