Backless bindings

forum for kitesurfers

Rhode Island kite freak
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Backless bindings

Postby Rhode Island kite freak » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:24 am

I've seen Liquid Force, Cabrinha, and litewave all make these and am interested in getting a set.
anyone have non biased experience with any of these?
thanks
Matt

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2

Re: Backless bindings

Postby Krazedkiter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 am

IMO the Cab sync bindings take some getting used to. They have a lot of direct input to the board and you tend to overdue things until you learn.

Also, the top of my feet (the tendons leading to the toes) ache so bad after about 5-10 minutes that I have to come in. It definitely puts your feet in a different perspective. Also, you will have to mold your feet to the bindings. They have a pretty long break in period before they fit right.

Im still in that break in period after three sessions but it has potential.

adfree
Medium Poster

Postby adfree » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:12 am

I just had my first session on them. Did them too tight and my feet went to sleep immediately. Loosened them - now no control over the board. Never got them right and they rubbed the top of my foot where it meets my leg. Did not have a great session - feet sore and lacked board control. I think I will go back to LF Luxury. They are so comfy and give great control but I have to wear heel straps which I don't like and why I bought the Cab bindings.

I suspect they just need breaking in but I am not sure I can do it.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2

Postby Krazedkiter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:09 am

Yes I agree. I have to loosen them up to fit good but then it's too loose to have good control. Your feet are all squirly and floating around.

I have tried adjusting them in every position and tension (yes I watched the Cab video) and I cant seem to get them right. IMO you have to have size 13 feet (Im size 10 US) for them to work. Otherwise your toes cannot reach the ledge to grip.

If you have them tensioned too tight you cant get your feet in enough to get the toe grip. If you tension too lose, the top half of the bindings (closest to your leg) are to open and loose.

$120 for a good lesson in new products. Maybe it will come to me. Im still hoping.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, SP Boarding, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:09 am

They work great for me (the Cabrinha Sync). Can't speak to the rest -- I've only tried them in a shop, not riding. I've put the Syncs on all my boards. (anyone want some Spleene, Nobile, or older style Cabrinha footpads and straps? No? Didn't think so.) :x I ride a lot in the cold, and with 5mm booties, it's not as good a fit, but then, nothing is with 5mm booties on.

-Droffats.

Rhode Island kite freak
Medium Poster

Postby Rhode Island kite freak » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:50 pm

thanks for the feedback guys.
one of the manufacturors (liquid Force?) advertised precurved top piece, maybe this would help to make a good fit? no shop around here carries any of these so I can't try any of these out before purchase.
I also use liquid Force luxury straps and pads which are real comfortable when I wear booties but barefoot I can't get them tight enough (size 9 foot)
Matt

islandbound
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Postby islandbound » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:35 pm

I liked the Sync after learning how to tighten them (watched the cab video), I slide them on loose, park the kite and then tighten with both hands. I also have the raptor heel straps attached to the sync's to keep the foot from sliding back. I do feel they have some break in time to soften up and agree that the toe grip of the pad seems to far up. I tend to like a really tight fit and do not ever have a problem with the feet falling asleep so I cant comment to those posts. I also like the NSI Ratchets to get that tight fit and connection to the board. Hope this helps

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:46 pm

I'm biased so I won't get into all the good things about the Cabrinha Syncs. However, here are a couple of tips..
1) there is a tendency to overtighten
2) there is a tendency to want to ride with your heel as far back as possible...try making sure your toes are on the toe grip instead.
3) when customizing for your foot, realize there is an arch support...the reason for #2 above
4) work the laces so the "tongue" conforms to your foot...is tight where you want and looser where you want

in my opinion, the purpose of the binding is not for you to be permanently attached to the board, but to have a more solid connection thereby realizing greater input and control.

steve

adamrod
Frequent Poster

Postby adamrod » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:55 am

Matt, I have an easy fix for the small foot problem of the LF pads&straps. This would work with the luxuries, but works best with the comps as you can adjust the comps more.

1. Use a soldering iron or sharp tool and create a new hole further in on the webbing end piece of the strap on both sides of the strap. So that way, when you attach the strap with the screws, it's already tighter.

2. Take your pad, and using a razorblade, cut the sides of the pad. (on both sides) as shown in the pic.

This allows the strap to cup your foot more as opposed to just mashing it down. make sense?

I have the LF lace-up comp straps, and after making the mod, they are heaven. If you like the luxuries, the comps should be good for ya, they cinch down quite a bit tighter. a huge improvement over the luxury straps, which were already pretty sweet.
Attachments
IMG00105.jpg

wondamic
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding

Postby wondamic » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:31 am

Genius my man! I just got done cutting out the extra material and it does feel much more snug. I can't wait to see if keeps my feet in during jumps and stuff. Thanks for the photo! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”