Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Self Land a Havoc

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Self Land a Havoc

Postby adamj2281 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:57 pm

Ok, what's the easiest way to self-land the Havoc. I have only done it once or twice before, but I pretty much just put the leash on the outside line connection, and pulled the QR. I typically ride with the leash on the depower line, so I'm just wondering if there's an easier way to self-land.

kitehok
Medium Poster
Local Beach: TO
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Self Land a Havoc

Postby kitehok » Fri May 08, 2009 2:54 pm

The only way I like to self-land my havoc is with a carabiner hooked to a solid object and walk along the front line.

If there are no solid objects around I do something similar to you except I leash to the front O-shit. At the edge of the window yank the centre line or hit the QR and "sometimes" it settles nicely on the beach.

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Self Land a Havoc

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Fri May 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Hello, I have a 16m 08 havoc. I fly it in light winds so its easy for me to land it this way. I might not attempt this in anything higher winds.

I have a big stainless steel clip on my bag. I fill my kitebag with sand, its around 100 lbs full or more. Then I can self launch and land from the bag. I always make sure I launch and land toward water. I always set up far upwind or far downwind of any beach goers.

If the wind is light enough i just depower the kite at the same time i am gentley crashing the leading edge into the sand. Then one of the lines so the kite sits correctly into the wind.

I personally dont like the crashing landing into the sand. I would rather set the kite on its wing tip, and unhook, and clip it onto the bag. Then run up the top front line, and set the kite down just like someone was landing it. Be careful. It could be potentialy dangerous, to you and others.

Andy

Return to “Kitesurfing”