Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RPM-Coast-Video-Oregon

Forum for kitesurfers
shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RPM-Coast-Video-Oregon

Postby shymac » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 am

Over the past weekend I had the chance to get some good footage of RPM's out on the Oregon coast. Since some might think otherwise I put a simple video together to showcase what they got to offer...

http://www.vimeo.com/5416616

For any other RPM users out there showcase you photos, footage and experience with one of the best kites for 2009 . It would be great for others to really "get" it and at least I won't be the only one pimpin here.... HA! :pirate:
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (88.97 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
Last edited by shymac on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tristonjah
Medium Poster
Gear: Still rockin the 07's
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot RPM's work well in surf!

Postby tristonjah » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 am

Is that a rasta fuel mixed in there or a RPM?

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:41 am

sweet freaking spot!

not to bust your bubble or anything, but in those conditions any small kite will do great.

i like the look/design of rpm. will def give it a try.

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:58 am

Well when the brand manager of North rings to congratulate you for having the best kite on the market right now and sales have gone through the roof in the fatherland there must be some good reason.

It's got creaming reviews over here, both mags just love it to bits just a bit pricey cos of our busted ass economy and currency.

Kind of gives the lie to the whole uber ghey delta thing..

No question Best SLE ever.. imvho.

Super congrats to whoever laid out that bridle..

If in doubt... try one out..

Just don't bugger about with it...

Konza
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kiel
Gear: LF HiFi, Switch Combat, Slingshot SST
Seaflight Diamond 5'9"
Brand Affiliation: None!

Postby Konza » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:17 pm

Damn, in those conditiones I wouldn't even think of using a kite!!!

akp
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fyn Denmark
Style: Like an old man :-)
Gear: Slingshot Kites Fuel 2007

Postby akp » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 am

Those are nice waves man :-)

I just wanted to give my opinion on the RPM.
Just bought the rpm 8 and 12m coming from the Fuel 2007 9 an 13.
Im the safekiting type of guy trying a little bit of everything but
it takes time for me to try new things (chicken !!!! maybe to old 32 hehe..)
Im 188cm 90kg started 2004 with the fuel..
Since i loved the predictability of the fuels and the feeling of power and turning
especially on the 9 fuel but sometimes thinking that they vere a little frightening
when looping and missing some depower. I thought that the rpm would be the right kite
for me. And Im very happy with my decision !!!
Im buying all my equipment out of my own pocket so this is my true meaning..
The 8 RPM is a sick kite, the first time I tried it I thougt it was very fast ! It was
25 knot and I was on the medium bar from the 12 on the stock settings meaning the second
backmost setting on the rearlines. I was hoping for the same speed as my 9 fuel but this was way faster.
After a few minutes I was almost used to it and was boosting high floating jumps :-) very explosive takeof like the Fuel but higher and more hangtime.
Tried to go for a litle unhooked but it was way too fast for that.
I went In to change the rearline settings. swaped to the small bar and placed the lines on the second innermost setting.
Now that was some of a change ! suddenly the kite was feeling like the good old 9 and I was at home :-)
Looping was easier still powerful poping of the water easier for me (stays a little longer in the powerzone when edging making it easier for me to time the takeoff without killing the power).
The kite stays where you place like the fuel.
and no need for trimming. the kite is very easy to handle onhooked :-). Tryed to chase it and it drifts far better than the fuel making it perfect for waves (havent tried in prober waves yet).
The 8 has a huge range starting at 18-19 knots on a 133*40 TT for my 90kg and easely managing 30 knot.
Like I sayd the 8 is a damn fine kite..
The 12m is ofcourse in another league concerning turning speed but stil somewhat faster than my 13 fuel that I was hoping for. And starting earlier aswell :-). I would say 12-13 knots and allso nice highend but performes best until 22 knots.
after that i becomes a little slow in the steering because of of the depowerstroke.
Both kites are easy to relaunce just pulling on the rearline.
Upwind performance Is great on both sizes but on the 12 it takes a little while getting used to it. In my opinion
you have to slow a little more down in speed to get it moving upwind.
Very Happy with both kites!!. If you havent tried it yet you better hurry op :-).

At last a little question:
Will it be posible to change/buy the the chickenloop system for the new 2010 one ???
(not that I dont like what is now but looks great the new one).

How is the Safety going through the new swirvel (still connected to one frontline like rpm bar) ????

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Nyali Kenya

Postby GraemeF » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:45 pm

Pretty sure they'll be doing the bar as an upgrade option.

But then a lot of dealers will be buying the next kites, Fuels and A.N.Other we can't speak about because they wont let us and those will be going to a market that will want kite only so either way there will be aftermarket bars. You may need the lines as well, there's something wiered going on with the new spinner I think I heard, but I could be wrong it wasn't that great a marketing meeting, they left it to the sales dude and all he wanted to do was stitch us up..

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:48 pm

I've had an 8/12m combo for the last couple of months, haven't needed to use the 12m before today. The 8m is an awesome wave kite, fast, super-stable unhooked, and you can generate a lot of power even in 15+ knots by sining the kite. The 12m works OK in waves if you keep it steady but it's just a wee bit too slow turning for real waves. I suspect a 10m would be much better for low-end wave-riding. These kites are really light because of the 3 strut design that they don't fall out of the sky when surfing downwind even if the lines are slack. The 12m is very much a wake-style kite, sits deep in the window and doesn't surge forward in gusts; you just don't seem to notice them. The 12m goes really well upwind, I suspect those struggling on the bigger RPMs are over-sheeting and choking them.

I put surf wax on the chicken loop line first off which reduces line wear. When you pump the RPM up the struts don't seem have that much air pressure, it doesn't seem to affect performance so they probably equalise with the leading edge once in the air. Self-launching and self-landing is sweet even on narrow beaches, the kite flips upside down as if it was on a fifth line when on safety.

I really can't fault them, I just wish the US dollar wasn't so high. It's one of the ironies of global finance that the worse off the US economy is the more the dollar goes up as capital flows back to the US to prop up balance sheets. No other economy works that way.

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:38 pm

GraemeF wrote:Well when the brand manager of North rings to congratulate you for having the best kite on the market right now and sales have gone through the roof in the fatherland there must be some good reason.

Graeme, RPM is a really nice kite, I like it alot, but the rest of that statement is BS (no offense). The 7 North Evo (Delta) is a great kite as well, similar wind range as an 8 RPM but more direct and hangs in almost no wind.... some people might prefer that. F-One Bandit Dos (Delta), super nice kite as well. Other companies don't hype their kites as much as others......... they don't have the "cool" factor possibly.....but don't confuse that for lesser performance than your favorite brand. I do appreciate your loyalty to SS, it's no big deal to me......... but c'mon now!! Best regards my friend, Stefan

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Nyali Kenya

Postby GraemeF » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Stefan wrote:
GraemeF wrote:Well when the brand manager of North rings to congratulate you for having the best kite on the market right now and sales have gone through the roof in the fatherland there must be some good reason.

Graeme, RPM is a really nice kite, I like it alot, but the rest of that statement is BS (no offense). The 7 North Evo (Delta) is a great kite as well, similar wind range as an 8 RPM but more direct and hangs in almost no wind.... some people might prefer that. F-One Bandit Dos (Delta), super nice kite as well. Other companies don't hype their kites as much as others......... they don't have the "cool" factor possibly.....but don't confuse that for lesser performance than your favorite brand. I do appreciate your loyalty to SS, it's no big deal to me......... but c'mon now!! Best regards my friend, Stefan
No offence taken, but the reported conversation did take place following the success of the RPM in the German market place.
And the Delta thing? Ask anyone in an objective position and the whole 'Delta' thing has produced some very flakey kites. You have only to ask those having to deal with rescuing the Germans on Lake Garda struggling to relaunch in the oft flukey summer breezes down there, the Delta being the worse offender.
It's a big old world and perceptions vary, but personally I'm glad Slingshot resisted what was quite a strong movement, when a ball gets rolling in this very very risky business, it's a brave company that will go in a different direction and I'm glad it's paid off, we're the better for having a kite like the RPM, not everyones cup of tea and if I'm being cynical it could be argued they are just trying to pension off the Fuel because of poor sales Stateside, but I think in the fullness of time it has opened the door to another path, far better than the direction the Delta was taking..

Return to “Kitesurfing”