All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Azores kiting
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:38 am 
Frequent Poster

Does anyone kite in the Azores, Sao Miguel? I will be there for about 2 and half weeks in August.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Azores kiting
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:24 pm 
Medium Poster

i hope someone answers as i am curious about this myself.

however, from the research i've done, it seems, as is common of volcanic islands everywhere, that sandy beaches are very few. wind should be good though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:46 am 
Frequent Poster

I actaully go there every year but it will be the first time I'm bringing the kites. There are a few beaches with black sand and some with volcanic rocks. The waves are fairly large. Problem with these beaches is that they are very crowded on the beach and in the water with swimmers, surfers, and boogeyboards. I've never seen kiters but my cousins there told me they have so I'm trying to find these people. There is also a sort lake by furnas with flat water but not sure if the wind gets in there as its in the mountains. If no one responds I still will be kiting there and I'll give a trip report :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:17 pm 
Rare Poster

I kitesurf in Sao Miguel, Azores. The best and the safest place is praia das Milicias on the south coast, and it is good with southwest, south and southeast wind. It is also possible to kite in the beach of Ribeira Grande on the north coast, but there the waves are big and the currence is strong. Summer months are not so good for kiting as there is not much wind... Autumn, winter and spring are better, I think the best months are February-April. It is also possible to kitesurf in the lakes, but the wind there is very gusty.

[ 4 posts ]