Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Constructors Ranking - good idea?

Postby Toby » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:35 pm

I just saw on the website of the German kiteboarding tour, that they have a constructors ranking.

http://www.kitesurf-trophy.de/endspurt_ ... gonnen.php

(center left)

Does it make sense to have something like this for the worldcups/IKA ranking as well?

I think this is an additional promotion possibility for companies who sponsor riders from the tour, which makes it more sense to support even more riders. So a win/win situation.

Like in Formula 1, this title has a lot of prestige.

What do you think?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Constructors Ranking - good idea?

Postby BWD » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:56 pm

I can see how it happens in Germany where North is huge anyway, what with North dominating 2:1 over the others in the constructor ranking, and germans (forgive the stereotype please ;)) liking things in ordnung and all that.

I don't know how the teams are structured currently, and don't read German very well,
but typically to compete meaningfully on a constructor basis you should have the same number of riders for each team, right?
Requiring big teams would lock out small companies, and small teams would allow more companies but thwart competition and rider development.
If companies can sponsor as many riders as they like, with no regulation of team size, again, the big guy has a huge advantage, and the rankings become less meaningful.

I think rider development by letting many riders compete at the highest level they can is the priority for the sport, so I am not sure putting emphasis on constructor ranking would be helpful
It works in elite level things like F1 because of all the lesser circuits where drivers are trained, but kiting just doesn't have the billions of dollars or the talent pool to make that happen.
It is just a smaller world for kiters, but that is OK, and really that is part of the charm of the sport.

I do think a company using its riders' cumulative race results over a year is a valid advertising point though 8), and whatever the "system" is, people will always pay attention to what gear is winning.

Return to “Kitesurfing”