Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sprecks
Favorite Beaches: Sprecks
Style: big air, surf
Gear: Jimmmy, jimmy, jimmy and some Airush kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Video contest is a joke - Kiteboarding needs to step up

Postby grandad » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:30 pm

What?? World finals? Where are the quality vids? This is pretty weak, kiteboarding has to be represented better than this in this contest. And this isn't just a joke contest, there's $$ behind it, there are many legit-board sports in it, and sponsors with pockets are paying attention to it. Maybe some kiters and kite video makers didn't step up because it is European?
http://www.riders-match.com/uk/category/kitesurf/

We need to get more of our top productions and riders in this contest next time. BMX, Windsurf, Surf, Skate - they all dropped some quality vids. Check out Josh Angulo's for example.

The contest is a bit of a joke because it is voting based, but still as my grandfather used to say "somebody's going to win, why shouldn't it be you?" Joke or not, this contest is being viewed by board-sports riders from all over the world - why shouldn't kiteboarding shine in that arena? Some of the kite vids are decent, but many are unwatchable.

Where's ACL with the Red camera and riders like Dre? What about Hadlow? And Nate with his "Work in Progress"? We need to step up the quality - I know we as a sport have the riders and the video talent. Bring it on next time please.

pdkite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Style: balls to the wall. don't hold back
Gear: 2006 Airush Lift 10m and 12m
2007 Liquid Force Recoil 130 x 39

Re: Video contest is a joke - Kiteboarding needs to step up

Postby pdkite » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 am

yup there are def some bad vids up there - and for the finalists, the third place dude, guy on f-one stuff - looks so horrible.

though there are some sweet vids too - like torrin's is awesome, rick jensen's, tom courts is aight, len10's...

and ya i can appreciate these vids but what about someone who doesn't kite - how difficult/impressive do they look.

i want to see less kooky vids for sure.

props to guys like elliot at ACL and nate for this new footy they're releasing - it's super dope. we need waaay more.

t69c
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: brook, iow
Favorite Beaches: caberete beaches in general
Style: fluid and changing
Gear: North 08 vegas, rebel...jaime pro 08 board
Brand Affiliation: Sponsored by north and animal

Postby t69c » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 pm

agreed! the level of the video's isn't high enough, the point of the contest is to show progression beyond normal contest...and at the moment there are only a few videos that are event edited properly. hopefully next time the videos will step up...

but keep voting and hopefully the rider that wins will invest some money in a proper production for next year!

cheers - tom (http://www.riders-match.com/uk/member/tom/)

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: None, not even lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:03 pm

torrin's vid rules - the 10% rule... 10% to be spent on a big party if u win!

torrinb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Mt Maunganui, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Underground, Mystic, Oakley, Assault Kiteboarding Centre

Postby torrinb » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 pm

yea for sure i agree, some of the vids aren't super. but a lot of the videos on there would have been made using no (or next to no) budget, and probably not with the best cameras around either. just came about from a few sessions of footage and some personal editing - nothing professional. maybe a longer time allowed (3mins??) would be good too.

hopefully next time round there are some better videos, but that means throwing more time and money into it. and that time + money has to come from somewhere...the surf/skate industries are much bigger than kiting, and i think that shows with the amount of sick videos and dvds coming from those sports.

who knows, maybe ACL and the likes didn't know about the contest, or didn't bother...

cheers
torrin

http://www.riders-match.com/uk/member/torrinbright/

torto
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 5
Local Beach: Ilopango/ El Salvador
Lake Victoria / Uganda
Favorite Beaches: Punta del Este
Laguna el Sauce
La Barra
Paje Sansibar
Style: Old school
Gear: Speed4 21m
Surfboard 6´2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby torto » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Hey I don´t agree with Grandad

I think for example that Torrins video rocks !
The music, editing, special effects and a smoth fluid riding with some good air and cool tricks...You can feel that rider and spectators (in the boat) are having fun. 2 Minutes to show what Kitesurfing is all about. I whould show this to friends who want to get into the sport...

Well done :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”