Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, Prea, Taiba
Style: freestyle
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None

The problem with this industry.....

Postby andrewb44 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:53 pm

The problem with this industry is that there are too many kite companies. It is too easy for any half assed "pro" to set up a kite company. The barriers to entry are very low - it is very cheap and easy to set up a kite company. The Asian kite manufacturers will make anything and the kite stores (kite whores not stores) will sell anything to anybody no matter how crappy or inappropriate it is. The kite magazines and kite websites will NEVER give any kite a crappy review no matter how crap the kite is in case they scare off advertising dollars.

So your left with a crappy industry with hundreds of kite brands selling sub standard products to poorly informed customers. Innovation in the industry is kept low since no kite companies can get really big enough to afford a decent r&d expense. You end up with shit companies and even shittier products..... :duh:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: The problem with this industry.....

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:57 pm

nice for a first post!

why the need to tell? Why bother?

In any forum everyone can add their reviews...

adrood
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Evros Greece
Style: Freeride Wave
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m kite and Core Riot XR 8m , Ocean rodeo rise 10m
F-one Fifty Pro, Ocean rodeo mako wide 40 , north freestyle fish

Postby adrood » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:00 pm

all the products area have this. Shoes , Electronics etc. The good thing is when you test a product . I am more concerned when i am intrested at a kite model what the people that tested it will write at forums , and i dont really care for kite magazines. Also at forums you can understand when someone pimps or not most of the times. Still best kites around , makes a difference among the others. You can have good words over the internet from different countries and people at one model and that one be a crappy. It may not suit you , i agree, but it doesnt make it crappy.

So the other good thing for all of us as buyers is that more companies = more products. More products = cheaper products from all the companies and higher standards .
So at my opinion , i would love to see more companies that will stay viable of course at market

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:02 pm

Alot of truth..

Magazines are driven on advertising $$$$. Why would they be honest?

sshields
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Kite Point - Lake Hefner

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Style: lawn mowing
Gear: Slingshot T3

Crazyfly scorpion Carbon Fiber

Postby sshields » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:21 pm

This is cup half full/empty.

Start your own review site/blog!!

I see nothing but opportunity and joy in this industry.

I've decided to start my own company that I think will truly revolutionize kiting. We test our stuff with "pros" and new people.

It's the most fun I've had in a long time. Especially when hard core kiteboarders are like "wtf are you flying". After they fly it they go "OMFG, does anyone else know about this? I want one NOW."

Between my wife's marketing skill, and my aerospace background (I'm an BSEE, but I almost went aerospace in college) I truly believe this sport will allow me to own a business that brings joy to people and give me the life I want.

This sport is so new that it's WIDE OPEN for someone with drive and some balls. Go for it!!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:29 pm

Well, sshields sounds like you might be what's right with kiting, more power to you.
I love tuning gear and building boards occasionally, if you can take it to the pro level, go for it!
It's really fun.

But what's wrong is a legitimate question too.
For me, two things always come to mind:
1. Fools with darwin award mentality/ wannabe Jackass.
2. Snowboard/ "surfshop" type fad/adolescent marketing (but damn, seems effective :roll: ).

Anyway, the positives still outweigh the negatives!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Windsurfing has the same problems but to a lesser extent, but the good thing is that they are performance products, and the trend does end up with good products.

It could maybe get there with more efficiency, but competition means that eventually the products evolve in the right direction overall. Its certainly evolving faster than windsurfing did.

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Europ2 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:29 pm

sshields wrote:This is cup half full/empty.
I've decided to start my own company that I think will truly revolutionize kiting. We test our stuff with "pros" and new people.
It's the most fun I've had in a long time. Especially when hard core kiteboarders are like "wtf are you flying". After they fly it they go "OMFG, does anyone else know about this? I want one NOW."
Between my wife's marketing skill, and my aerospace background (I'm an BSEE, but I almost went aerospace in college) I truly believe this sport will allow me to own a business that brings joy to people and give me the life I want.
No form of evidence but looks promising for a first post !
SShields, any agenda to communicate here (or by PM) ? :idea:

sshields
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Kite Point - Lake Hefner

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Style: lawn mowing
Gear: Slingshot T3

Crazyfly scorpion Carbon Fiber

Postby sshields » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Lol. Can't give away the farm.

I will give you one tip that will change how your kite flies (in a great way) that is really cheap.

Look up "turbulator tape". Brought some out to our local kite spot and sold out my entire roll in an hour.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:44 pm

hmm, some crossover would be nice, but the stall speeds, AOA ranges, etc, etc are pretty different.
Would be nice if LE to canopy attachment worked out to be a good place for it, ;) but I will let you be the guinea pig on this one....
And another thing, how dfferent is this from the OR system in practice (obviously looks different...)
Not really expecting answers, but....

Return to “Kitesurfing”