Forum for kitesurfers
bear
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What to do in winter?

Postby bear » Thu May 22, 2003 3:45 pm

Try this out in winter guys, new Kite ATB vid's are up at http://www.kitingaustralia.com go to videos - atb -Mad Monkey Episode 2, beats freezing your nuts off!

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sat May 24, 2003 9:14 am

watching vids during the winter? Too busy kiting me thinks. Oh yes and slaving away at the daily grind :wink: . But for those no wind days watching vids can be risky... you can get extreme anxiety and catch the mustgokitesurfing fever. It can tear you to bits if ya not careful. 8-10 knots today, to be honest I can't wait for winter are more likely to make my own vids than to watch any... Reason being if i watch Mark Shinn go huge and rip it up hard i get the severe anxiety mentioned above. If i watch myself make big splashes and just miss the old ladies on the beach with my X2 I feel like looking for a place to hide 8) . Ain't kiting grand.

bear
Medium Poster

Postby bear » Sat May 24, 2003 10:32 am

not WATCHING the vid's, DOING the deed!!! i hate the rolly boards but filming goshen has got me hooked, will probably give it a go this winter.....

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sat May 24, 2003 11:32 am

Oh you mean mountain boards........

Taina Kite
Medium Poster

Postby Taina Kite » Wed May 28, 2003 2:37 am

Or just come to PR... :D :D :D

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Wed May 28, 2003 3:38 am

If it is so cold that you are "freezing your nuts off" then you gotta get a snowboard and find some snow. On the frozen lakes we get around here it is almost like riding on dead-flat water, maybe better. You can do tons of things you might not try on the water, because without any chop to go through a snowboard responds very predictably and you can seroiusly set a strong edge to launch huge.

You can build kickers and practice launching off of waves that don't move on you an mess up your timing, teach your friends with tiny kites without fear of sinking if they go too slow, and no need for the walk of shame, upwind is so simple that a rank beginner can learn it in the first day.

Kiteboarding on snow is so much fun, it is possibly the only thing that has kept me from blowing my brains out (or at least ditching EVERYTHING and heading for the tropics) during the long, cold, dark winter nights.

I'm still pretty glad it's just about summer here now, though - I've been getting to practice all the new stuff I learned last winter on the water!

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu May 29, 2003 12:43 am

Well considering winter here in Auckland is our windy season (well actually spring is but winter is second) I'll be finding myself plenty to do. And it's not that cold either, need wetsuit of course but it's not life threatening going out and it's still nice and sunny.... besides can't snowkite here... there isn't any snow.

Return to “Kitesurfing”