John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08
Brand Affiliation: None

leash for rotations

Postby tux » Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:53 pm

This is the way If you use a quick release trim loop:
Put the loop and the leash with a inox ring into the spinnable wichard

if you need to realase the kite just pull the loop
and the leash remain into the wichard
but both spin round wile you rotate and don't give you trouble.
F@@k
I've lost the 50.000 message

eppo
Medium Poster

Postby eppo » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:29 am

If the wichard accidently releases you lose both chicken loop and safety - and it can happen when you want it to the least. If you use a double sided spinning shackle (just reduce your chickenloop rope length if too far from bar), you can attach the safety via a clip on the top rotating shackle. Also this way you can turn teh wickard independantly to unrotate the twists in your front line. No I can see an accident waiting to happen with your system.

Eppo

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:00 am

Well, I would say, that the sidepivot schackle is less prone to accidental releasing.

And the very idea of this system, is to be able to get RID OF IT ALL in one single move.
This is a good idea, as it seems to attract many safety-leash avoiders (many of the really good riders).

If you release your depower first - then you are normally not very powered so you can release your side release scackle.
But your side release schackle will not release, if you try to get rid of it all, under load.
Here a Wichard would do the job better, but also more prone to accidental releasing of course.

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14

pulley

Postby tux » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:23 am

Since under high pressure the loop doesn't slide into the wichard,in put into a pulley:
tux

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:31 pm

http://www.vientomar.com. best tangle free rotating system that no matter what happens your kite isn't getting away unless you want it to. PS the shackle in the pictures does not release under any load and the split pin pulls out of the tip before it releases the shackle under load. Also the shackles will not spin on their own under load. Also I think there was a big discussion on those shackles a little while ago.
Aloha Royce.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:05 pm

We need to be careful what we're calling a "Wichard". Wichard is the name of a manufacturer. Among other things, they make at least TWO very different types of snap shackles: side-pivot pin-release (bad*, as shown above), & tip-pivot line-release (such as the strongly recommended model 2673).

*Wichard's side-pivot shackles are particularly bad, since they use unwelded split rings to pull the release pin. There is so much force required to pull the pin when the shackle's under load, that the ring opens. It might be replaced with a swaged-on loop of thin stainless cable, but it could still require more force than you can muster to release under high load, PLUS it may still catch on the part you're trying to make it relase from.

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14

Mine is wichard

Postby tux » Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:36 am

Mine is wichard , the one with the ''W'' and very expensive, but we call them wichard because it is the only brand gives you the security of tecnical manifacture we need for safety.
I know the one I use is not safety as quick realase using the plastic loop, but I use the naish loop as quick realase and the shakle to take both the loop and the leash together and make them spinning toghether.
Tux

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:39 am

Yes. I didn't mean to imply that your system was unsafe. The primary release on the trim loop makes it safe. I also didn't mean to imply that your side-pivot, pin-release (with unwelded split-ring) snap shackle was not a Wichard.

All I meant is that the Wichard most of us use (2673 for safe primary release) is MUCH different from the one you use. Above, both Peter Frank AND Eppo use "Wichard" to imply that 2673, while you use it to indicate your own different model (which could be replaced for your purposes with a MUCH cheaper one, which also won't release under load).

Return to “Kitesurfing”