Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

sorry sight

forum for kitesurfers

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

sorry sight

Postby tweekster » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:05 am

i consider myself a relative beginner and feel awkward trying to preach to other kiters about safety, but i am curious as how any of you out there would handle a situation like the following.

i watched in dismay yesterday as two obvious beginners were attempting to kite at the local beach. one of the guys was using an old, faded, two line wipika and an LF picklefork. the wind was gusting anywhere from 5 to 25 mph. no one else was out.

first sign of suspect was when he started getting ready to self-launch with the kite directly down wind. the kite loaded up and briefly swung toward the window and then immediately started dragging him down the beach. he gouged the sand with his heels for a couple of 10 yards or so. fortunately the kite was rather small and he gained composure.

i watched him walk the board and kite out a bit and then try to take off. a couple of unsuccessful attempts later he was a hundred yards or so down the beach and his kite dropped into the drink. it relaunched a couple of times but he kept losing it until finally he let the kite go...i couldn't believe he didn't have a leash! he chased it in the waist deep water, to no avail. luckily his buddy saw all of this happening and was able to run the kite down before it hit the beach and did some real damage.

another regular at the beach had been watching them for awhile before i got there. he went and handed the guy a wrist leash. the guy tied it on and tried again. this time his buddy helped him launch...again directly down wind.

on their third attempt the two switched places, but not before taking the leash off. :o i left as the second guy was shooting down wind half out of control.

whattya do? how ya gonna act? :?:

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MrBonk » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:05 am

I would have asked them if they wanted some help :!: They may have felt uncomfortable asking for it. I know I would have been lost on my first day if it hadn't been for the helpful locals here. They gave me a hand, showed me the ropes (no pun intended) and got me going without any hassles :thumb:

Obviously, you know enuff about kiting to have spotted the mistakes these guys made, so even as a 'relative beginner', you still had info to offer :)

SunStruck!
Medium Poster

Postby SunStruck! » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:59 am

I agree with Mr Bonk. Give them some advice if for no other reason than to protect your access. Personally, I don't want to see anyone get hurt in this sport and with more and more people getting into it (many without lessons), we've gotta stick together and help out where necessary. I understand what you're saying about not being fully confident about offering advice. I guess you just need to approach in a friendly manner and let them know you've just been through the learning process yourself not that long ago and offer a couple of tips.
No Idea and I were out the other day and noticed 2 newbies trying to self launch without success. We went in to offer advice and found they were trying to launch without ballasting their kites with sand. Basically trying to quickly run to the bar and launch before the kite rolled down the beach. Lucky there wasn't too much wind. On closer inspection we found they had the front lines rigged to the back and the back lines rigged to the front. We let them know they were lucky they didn't get hurt, showed them how to launch and highly recommended they get a lesson before going much further. (They had only bought their kites 2 days earlier and not even bothered to look at the instructional video they had purchased). They were appreciative of our help and I've since heard that they did in fact book in straight away for a lesson.
Like Mr Bonk said, if you're able to notice that they don't really know what's going on, then I believe you're qualified enough to offer a little help, without coming across as if you think you're the kite police. If they ignore you and continue then they will be humbled and learn quickly, hopefully without seriously hurting themselves or others or jeopardising your right to kite.

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:30 am

point well taken, but actually there WAS another guy there giving them some words of advice. i don't know exactly what he was telling them because i was on the other side of the park, but i could see him pointing and gesturing. he even gave them a kite leash to use. unfortunately it didn't seem like they wanted to listen to what he had to offer because they kept doing what they were doing.

thanks for the input just the same.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:04 am

Hi,,

Sounds like a case of the old blind leading the blind,,,

the cure in this case,,,is the freindly shuffle over,,, nice kite,,,strings suck,,usual,,,

casual,,freakum up a tad,,and bit,, cast a little doubt around ,,,,
bingo,,,you got total control,,,

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:40 am

We have an ass hole and his girlfriend here that started kiting more than 18 months ago. They did not take any lessons. He and his girlfriend have in the last month wrapped a kite around the power lines at the launch on the causeway. The next bright move was to crash a 12m kite fully powered into a boat full of kids.
He was a terrorist as a windsurfer and now continues as a kiter.
He gives anyone the finger that has the nerve to launch from the same beach as him or kites within 200 yards of him.
He says that he is still working on his turns and is not ready to try to jump yet. His girlfriend cannot relaunch the kite if she crashed it. Both are still wearing leashes. They have been rescued more than 20 times by boats.

what worries me is that we will loose access due to their carelessness, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest :thumb:

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:19 am

yeah, when i first started kiting at this particular beach there was this guy there everyday. on my first day out with a training kite he came up to me and gave some pointers and then left me with the reminder that it was very dangerous to kite there because of the gusty winds and shallow reef. i thanked him and went about my business.

the next time i showed up with a small inflatable to do some body drags and over he comes to tell me that i shouldn't go out because its too dangerous and that he is a trained professional and that i will definitely get hurt, and blah blah blah...i got intimidated and left with out getting wet.

6 more times he hassles me. each time for no reason other than i was using "his beach." i finally cursed him out and told him to leave me the f-alone. i see him doing the same thing to almost everyone he doesn't know. its really discouraging. i think his intentions are good, but he has poor delivery.

i like the fo technique better...i took refuge behind a tree the last time i saw those two trying to launch their kites. :bye:

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:51 am

Damn the real world sucks,,,rude, dumb, unskilled shelfish,busy bodys
Damn, all thease special cases,,,damn,, may have to just "do-um,",
peace on the beach, is so important,,,, :roll:

Kinky John
Rare Poster

Postby Kinky John » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:18 pm

I had a similar experience whilst visiting Dubai. I was walking down a very crowded beach with my wife, when I spotted a large LEI kite on the sand. I popped over to have a chat with the kiter, it turned out to be a couple of guys who had borrowed the kite from a friend. The kite was big - 16 SQM and massivley underinflated. They had no leash, or helmets and were trying to launch hooked in, by throwing the kite up from a directly downwind position. Luckily for them there was not enough wind to fly the kite, otherwise they would have been dragged through a crowd of families, 4x4's and other nasty obstacles. I told them that they should leave it and get some instruction, but they ingnored me. An hour or so later we passed them again and they were still at it - throwing up the kite. What more can you do?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:25 pm

Kinky John wrote:I had a similar experience whilst visiting Dubai. I was walking down a very crowded beach with my wife, when I spotted a large LEI kite on the sand. I popped over to have a chat with the kiter, it turned out to be a couple of guys who had borrowed the kite from a friend. The kite was big - 16 SQM and massivley underinflated. They had no leash, or helmets and were trying to launch hooked in, by throwing the kite up from a directly downwind position. Luckily for them there was not enough wind to fly the kite, otherwise they would have been dragged through a crowd of families, 4x4's and other nasty obstacles. I told them that they should leave it and get some instruction, but they ingnored me. An hour or so later we passed them again and they were still at it - throwing up the kite. What more can you do?
No easy answers or absolute "this always works" solutions that I have heard about. One thing you could try would be to tell the guys I will give you some tips but for starters you have to setup a safe distance downwind of people and hard objects, if they have a leash that can be rigged toss that in as a condition as well, what I have done at this point is to setup and launch the kite without a lot of commentary and then have one of the guys get in front of me and grab on to the bar. They are not hooked in. I then give them some feeling for the power of the kite. The area should be wide open and free of obstacles and people. I may even give a yank on one end of the bar to really let them get a feel for the power of the kite. If they freak out be totally sympathetic, say it is really tricky and say what most people do to manage through this is to get adequate lessons. It isn' t perfect but has worked in some cases.

Return to “Kitesurfing”