forum for kitesurfers

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Fixed Loop jumping question

Postby Louis Cypher » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:12 pm

Hi Guys,

i actually do jumping without using the fixed- loop. But my impression is, that i have to improve airtime for nohanded- stuff like deadmans and therefore have to use the fixed loop for jumping. Furtheron i recognized, that i have much more hangtime using a powerlock- bar. I seem to depower the kite to much while in the air.

When do you guys hook in the fixed loop? Right before launch or after takeoff. Do you unhook before landing (i didn't with the powerlock- bar)?

Thanks a lot!

Louis

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:01 pm

I launch hooked in I jump hooked in and I land jooked in every one I have seen kiteboarding does the same.

If you know your kite and the conditions launching hooked in is the safest way you simple have twice as much controll of the kite.

Rod

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:02 pm

You hook in the fixed loop before takeoff.

And usually you have to land in the fixed loop too, because if you are doing a deadman or other, you often don't have time to hook out anyway.

You must trim your fixed loop length (or depower strap) so you are powered okay, but not fully powered.

If you are fully powered when fixed, you will get poor kitespeed, and have difficulties in your takeoff and landings.

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Thanks a lot

Postby Louis Cypher » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:41 pm

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot! I'll try that next time i get wind (tried it with big kites but not well powered with smaller kites like my Fuel 9)

@F12-Flyer: I talked with lots of very good riders in Capetown (some of them semi-profesionals and teamriders). There are lots of guys who jump without being hooked into the fixed loop and yesterday i watched several vid's to see how they do it and saw quite a couple of deadmens etc. without being hooked into fixedloop

Greeetzzz Louis

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:28 pm

I thought you meant un hooked completey. I was under the impression you were told to do it this way for saftey.

When you say hooked in to me that means connected to the chickenloop or the fixed bar loop its all the same just differnt kite characteristics. doing a deadman would be better to use the fixed bar loop because of its longer hang. But it doesnt matter with the right technic.

actually I'm a little confused you use the CHICKEN LOOP and thought you need to use the Fixed loop to keep the power on. OHHHH nah you dont have to just jump higher and choose your window for a second or 2 deadman.

My kite bars dont have fixed loops so I dont use them never had a problem. plus the fixed loop just clutters up the bar area.

Hope that makes sense :-?

Rod

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Postby Louis Cypher » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:59 pm

Hi F12- Flyer,

oki, now we get it sorted. I use a bar like you at the moment. Just a chickenloop. During the last weeks i used a powerlock-bar a couple of times and had the impression, that my jumps are much higher and the hangtime is much better using that bar. So i want to learn jumping hooked to the fixed loop.

Greetzzzz,

Louis

P.S.: Furtheron with my Fuel 9 i had the problem, that i can't feel to good where the kite is if it's depowered (fixed now; had to shorten the depowerrange on my bar) and therfore i'll have more control when jumping in the fixed loop.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:28 pm

Hi,,I got two cents

I am not focused on an extra foot of hieght,,,when I was,,, I tryed hookin in to the hard loop befor blast off,,,,I can't say it got me higher,,,but I can say it f-up my landings,,owch.,,,the big thing for me now is smoothin in like a blue haired goose,,,beening in the chick-loop,,depower all the way out,,,so I can have my bar above my head,,,has restored my landings,,
and helped me,,smile again,,2 cents
fokiten

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:07 am

Louis Cypher wrote:Hi F12- Flyer,

oki, now we get it sorted. I use a bar like you at the moment. Just a chickenloop. During the last weeks i used a powerlock-bar a couple of times and had the impression, that my jumps are much higher and the hangtime is much better using that bar. So i want to learn jumping hooked to the fixed loop.

Greetzzzz,

Louis

P.S.: Furtheron with my Fuel 9 i had the problem, that i can't feel to good where the kite is if it's depowered (fixed now; had to shorten the depowerrange on my bar) and therfore i'll have more control when jumping in the fixed loop.
Hi louis,,
your post reads like a list of my pet peves,,everyone sould persue his own course,,I would be interested in how your fixed-loop jumping changes your kite experience,,,,will ya let us know?
thanks
fokiten

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:14 am

Most people I know just use the chicken loop. But I use the main loop for big, straight jumps (like board-offs etc.) if I am spinning I use the chicken loop only. The advantage of the main loop is that you can steer the kite both ways with any one hand. You also go higher and the kite is more responsive. if you are spinning, I think it's better to use just chicken so you don't go as high and the response of the kite is dulled. it's also easier to spin with the bar further above you.

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:22 am

when you guys use hard loops on your bars how do you keep it from getting hooked in only when you want it to? i took mine off because i couldn't figure out where it should be...above or below my CL...i kept getting into the hard loop when all i wanted was to be in the CL (i don't use a shackle).

Return to “Kitesurfing”