All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kiteboarding Hand Signals, Something to start using
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:28 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

It is important that we recognize UNIVERSAL hand/audible signals for kiteboarding. They have these in diving and many other activities and they have been a help. In the case of kiteboarding effective signals can accomplish many things including reducing the odds of a launch/landing incident or accident, verifying that the person that is to catch your kite may indeed have some idea of how to do it, etc.

If you exchange signals with someone it is more likely that they may know how to help you correctly. Guys have been severely injured several times by having untrained people help them and through miscommunication with experienced helpers.

I widely posted some photos of proposed universal signals after a particularly nasty accident happened following poor launch communications in August 2002 at:

http://tinyurl.com/2qr9c

I really don't care whose signals are adopted universally, just as long as some uniform signals come into regular use. Failing that, there will likely be more avoidable accidents, including some severe ones. So, why not start using some of these things. There was a time when no one knew what "lofting" was unlike today. It is amazing how things can spread once we start using and talking about them.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The more complete list of suggested hand signals appear below. In reality the short list doesn't cover all the needs. For instance I use the "hold kite" signal frequently if I have to land to retune the kite pigtails for increased or lessened power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Back up to the top...

[ 3 posts ]