I have been keeping track of discussion of access issues at this fairly unique spot for years through Marcus, Latino, Mark, Jimmy, east coast riders and others. It is an obvious shoreside accessible launch for westerly frontal winds, one of the VERY few in South Florida.
The problems have been growing as has the population of visiting kiteboarders (over 100 kites seen on several intervals within too tight an area).
Some of the reported problems include:
1. Kiteboarders removing No Trespassing signs and boundary ropes from protected bird sanctuary areas and walking through and flying around these sensitive areas mainly in the south lagoon. Far less than this has killed access in MANY areas around the world to date. Get a clue guys this sort of behavior could easily blow us out of the water.
2. Complaints to Park Rangers from other park users about kiteboarders riding too close to bathers within the south lagoon. Ignorant behavior of kiteboarders in response to Park Rangers.
3. Kiteboarders landing and launching on private beaches in front of waterfront, multimillion dollar homes mainly within the south lagoon. One guy was dragged/lofted into one of these property/homes by riding too close to shore in marginal conditions already. These behaviors have caused complaints and serious threats to access in other areas as well. Who has more clout with local government, out of town kiteboarders or guys that pay $100k USD/year property tax?
4. Dangerous quantities of kiteboarders trying to ride within too tight an area at the same time within both lagoons and particularly the south lagoon. It is nothing more than multiple accidents waiting to happen.
5. Excessive quantities of trash being left around the area by visiting kiteboarders in and around the bird sanctuary and bather area.
6. Complaints received by the County and Park Rangers resulted in ALL kiteboarders being called out of the water by the Sheriff within the last week or so. Problems were discussed and a demand for getting things sorted out and reduction of the complaints required.
Now over to us. If we keep doing what we have been doing the outcome is obvious.