Review: Flysurfer Psycho3 6m

Forum for kitesurfers
mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Review: Flysurfer Psycho3 6m

Postby mark van haze » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:16 pm

(thats not the same size but the same color I rode)

Ive finally had time to test the psycho3 here in Tarifa. We had the usual gusty as hell levante, around 20-40 knots. I weigh 70kgs, ride a 128rip and the conditions were choppy. I was the only foil rider around and others were on 5m/7m waroos, 8m instincts, 7/8m c-kites. The session was about 2.5 hrs long.
Right from the beginning I rode off to our wavespot which is around 6km out on the open sea. There I had 1.5-2m waves and good conditions to test the ps3 for wave riding. While riding the wave you can just park it and as you ride down, the ps3 just drifts along with you. As soon as you need power you just pull the bar in and off you go. The difference here to the hybrids and bows ive been flying sofar, is that the ps3 is super smooth in the way it develops its power. No on/off feeling - you can really dosage what you need.
The depower truly is a huge leap forward. The range now easily equals any hybrid. However its not a 100% depower kite, ie. it can be ridden on the stopper if you wish. Id guess you have around 20% power left (similar to the gaastra spyder or ozone instinct) if you trimm it right. That also means its not a beginner kite. You can quickrelease and stay on the 5. line, which depowers the kite completely, but then thats not a 1 step safety as on bows.
Id also like to mention that the depower on the ps3 definately is better than on the pulse. Sofar I can tell (ive been only flying the pulse very few days) the ps3 has a better range.
Jumping: Switching from so many different kites it always takes me a bit to get my timing right again. In particular when switching to flysurfers, it takes extra long because they simply respond and turn slower. But its finally here, no exageration, no hype, take my word for it - if you can jump on a waroo or a newer hybrid, you will feel right at home on the ps3. The 6m turns+responds about as fast as the 7m waroo, 8m sonic, 9m spyder. But theres a slight difference: The hangtime of the ps3 is just beyond any hybrid / bow ive been on. The best sofar was the EH ripper (super flat profile) but you have so much more time on the ps3 - simply impressive. Then on the other hand, thats always been one of the strengths the foils have over tube kites. Just check out snowkiters to see the difference.
Kiteloops: Now heres something interesting. As much as I tried (unhooked and hooked in) I didnt manage to make the ps3 turn very tight loops. The inner wingtip does not stay nailed in the sky, it makes its own little circle and therefore youre loops become pretty big and look incredibly hardcore. More than once I was looking down on the kite while looping it through. Now on any tube kite that would have meant hospital time (for me) but although the horizontal pull is strong, the kite generates this pull extremely smoothly and you can actually land them after a while. So no pussyloops with the ps3 and I dont think a double loop is possible (unlike for example on a north rebel). For my personal taste id prefer the kite to turn tighter, it will make kiteloop moves easier. Then again ive only been flying the settings the way they are straight from the bag. Maybe it changes with other settings or a larger bar.
Relaunch: no problem - pull on steering line, the kite flips around and up it goes. As it relaunches in the powerzone you need to push the bar out to kill off the excess power. Like this you dont even get ripped out of the water as youd expect. Again, the depower is truly up to par with hybrids.
Now the negatives: The kite had the 5th line wrapped around the other lines when I unpacked it. Thats not really what I expect from flysurfer even though its easily fixed thanks to the quick connectors on the 5th. Remember that flysurfer foils come ready to fly, lines and bar already attached to the kite.
Another problem was that in some gusts, lets say 35 knots dropping to 20 knots, the kite folded in the middle, then opened up again but one wingtip stayed tangled in the bridles. This made the kite crash onto the water and all I could do was wait. The wind then picked the kite up again and on the relaunch the wingtip managed to pop back into its place. This happened twice but always when the gusts ripped through the kite.
Other than that, the ps3 was super stable and being the only foil riding and on top of that having fun in these crap conditions, made many look curiously. But then i couldnt care less about that - ive been riding everything because I dont see that ill be able to judge whether something is good or not by standing on the beach and badmouthing hybrids/bows/c-kites or foils :o
Last edited by mark van haze on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

daft
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Review: Flysurfer Psycho3 6m

Postby daft » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:21 am

mark van haze wrote:For my personal taste id prefer the kite to turn tighter, it will make kiteloop moves easier. Then again ive only been flying the settings the way they are straight from the bag. Maybe it changes with other settings or a larger bar.
You might benefit by setting the steering force adjustment to SOFT... move to a different knot in the bridle indicated by little flags.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:17 am

My Psycho 3 13 had some mild stability problems for the first couple of sessions and then they went away completely.

I've heard that others had the same experience. It takes a little while for the kite to bed in with a bit of use.

I've had mine out in very gusty conditions and it is very stable.
That day a bunch of kites fell out of the sky and a bow kite inverted scaring the shit out of the rider and despite him relaunching it several times it would no longer stay up.

The Psycho 3 is a very powerfull kite. Ripped my seat harness to shreds. A friend also trashed his harness.

What I really like about this kite is how smoothly it delivers it's power. Made me progress really well. it's also such an easy kite to fly, just watch out for the power when you loop it. :thumb:

Cheers

Fred

Random
Frequent Poster

Postby Random » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:24 pm

FredBGG wrote:just watch out for the power when you loop it. :thumb:
When Armin says the kite accelerates through turns, he ain't exhagerating!

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Tarifa is always a little extreme and a hard testing ground for any kite.
I agree that on the 6m the standard steering setting is a little hard and I opted for one knot up from soft steering.
This is the best compromise between tight turns and power throughout the turn.
I found the stability was already excellent on our 6m Psycho3 straight out of the bag but as with all PS3s it will improve dramatically after it has bedded in.
The depower is truly astonishing. My wife used the 6m on its maiden flight up to a measured 35-41mph. She was pretty much the last man(woman) standing and she is a featherweight at 50kg. She also thought that the hangtime felt much more like that of a bigger kite and that it was very easy to ride.
Actually one Sonic rider who got blown off the water commented about how stable the kite looked.
Keep us posted on how you get on with the kite as it beds in and you are getting more dialed in on it.

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mark van haze » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:57 pm

The way it looks like, this weekend we will be getting more levante with 33 or more knots. So ill let you know how far the ps3 6m goes :)

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:41 pm

mark van haze wrote:The depower truly is a huge leap forward. However its not a 100% depower kite, ie. it can be ridden on the stopper if you wish.
:thumb:
Last edited by DrLightWind on Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

srod
Medium Poster

Postby srod » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:21 am

mark van haze wrote: Right from the beginning I rode off to our wavespot which is around 6km out on the open sea.
f*** that sounds hardcore! that's a long swim if you're in the shit surely?

AdrianCZM
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Passion Island
Favorite Beaches: any with good winds and good people to kite
Gear: most kite that would pull
Brand Affiliation: CrazyFly, the greatest boards!

Postby AdrianCZM » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:59 am

nice review! thanks for sharing

Srod, when kiting we take risks, some more than others. I just chance a few months ago to foils. I have been using the Flexifoil Sabre which I think its a great kite in the low end as well as the high end. The one I have its a 11.5 and been flying that stuff from 9kts and a surf board to 20kts on a 127 crazy fly. The issue is: I would not go more far that Im willing to swim.

You are right, if shit happends you are stuck there although I have hear great coments on Flysurfer water relaunchability

hope all its well there

Adrian

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:30 am

srod wrote:
mark van haze wrote: Right from the beginning I rode off to our wavespot which is around 6km out on the open sea.
f*** that sounds hardcore! that's a long swim if you're in the shit surely?
Yeap

There is a place called " La Bajeta " which is between Tarifa & Africa , actually where the Mediterranean & Atlantic oceans meet and it create an unique "wave spot" very , very dangerous the current is so strong that you don´t need to go up-wind ....you have to fight to stay downwind !!! ....I was there on Saturday and I can tell you that this spot is the most similar to a " skate park " I kited so far.

Hey Mark. I will be kiting on friday expecting ( again ) nuclear wind , if the wind is to strong to kite in Tarifa then Palmones would be the next choice.... still waiting to switch kites with you..... you have to test the 7m Instict...

See ya

Saludos

Return to “Kitesurfing”