Rebel 09 Problems?

forum for kitesurfers

dalydesign
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aberavon, Swansea
Favorite Beaches: Ponta De Ouro - Mozambique
Style: Newbie'ish!
Gear: Rebel '07 12M, Rebel '09 9M, Nobile 555.
Brand Affiliation: None

Rebel 09 Problems?

Postby dalydesign » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:45 am

has anyone experienced any problems with Rebel '09 so far?

I bought my 9m '09 rebel a few weeks ago and when I took in out for its virgin flight in 30kts it kept on collapsing/folding. I'm a 90Kg rider with the struts pumped up to the recommended 6psi. It kept collapsing approx every 30 secs - it got so bad I packed it away and ended my session.

A week later I was out in 25kts with the 9m kite pumped up to 8psi. The kite flew brilliantly, superb power and a definate improvement on the old 2007 models. However... after 30 mins I wiped out on a wave then the kite looped and hit the water (not too hard); one of the lazy-pump connector tubes popped off at both ends and the kite completely deflated except for 3 of the struts (not much bouyancy with 3 small struts!). I was lucky that I was only 30m away from the shore and managed to get back safely.

So I packed it away and brought out my trusty 12m '07 Rebel - the 12m was flawless and turned it into an amazing session.

When I first received the 09 Rebel, I was very apprehensive about the connector tubes coming off during a session, I was surprised that the new Rebels don't have a one way valve on the struts similar to the '07 models.

hopefully this is a rare occasion, but it's definately bruised my confidence in flying this new kite too far off shore!

Does anyone have similar experiences? or any tips to prevent this again (i.e. put cable-ties on all the connectors)?

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Re: Rebel 09 Problems?

Postby Dwight » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:00 pm

The collets over the tube ends hold better than cable ties.

Are the hoses too short? Compare to some other kites on the beach.

kitesyl
Rare Poster

Postby kitesyl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:29 pm

I have read a report (in french) of a guy who had the same problem (deflate) with the 9m.

http://www.airone.ch/index.php?option=c ... 9&Itemid=3
"Small advice Put serts cables on the pipes(tips) of the one pump for your security. because in full flight(theft) j have a pipe which broke loose and the empty bladder."

This year i'll stay with my 2008 (12/7) rebel because i don't trust one pump system.

Good luck

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:26 pm

Just heard from North that the tubing supplier changed its source (without their knowledge) so the tubing doesn't fit as tight as the old tubing. The supplier has gone back to the old stuff that fit tighter. Not sure when all this took place though. If a tube pops off, I'd ask for replacement tubing.

Regarding air pressure, don't bet your life on those unreliable pressure gauges. If 6 psi feels soft, then your gauge is probably off. I've had gauges where 6 psi felt super hard and others where 6 psi felt too soft. It sounds like your gauge reads low, so use more pressure.

baller
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby baller » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 pm

Same old story with Chinese manufacturers. This stuff is sooo frustrating. We pay a fortune for these toys, and some nice person in China decided they could save a buck by implementing changes. What else should we expect from a system that puts melamine in baby formula?

Faber
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby Faber » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:30 pm

The french forum message doesn't appear. Can you please check ?
I had troubles witht Rhino 07 2 pump system. Got the Rebel 08 currently ( superb ) and I'd to buy the rbl 09 8 meters...but now I want to dig further into this issue.
This toys cost the hell of money and they must work well.
Still into North equipement btw.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:37 am

Dwight wrote:Just heard from North that the tubing supplier changed its source (without their knowledge) so the tubing doesn't fit as tight as the old tubing. The supplier has gone back to the old stuff that fit tighter. Not sure when all this took place though. If a tube pops off, I'd ask for replacement tubing.
Kind of pisses me off that the manufacturers seem to never catch these problems, it is always the lowly top-dollar paying kite buyers. It would be nice for what we pay for these kites if there could be some semblance of Quality Control instead of frequently shipping junk to buyers and then always acting surprised and blaming the overseas factories. I have heard this same weak excuse for years. where's the beef. 1) The brands should be more responsible for overseeing manufacturing before the problems occur. 2) Sample 1 out of 100 kites to be sure "the tubing supplier [hasn't] changed his lots" etc etc. Inexcusable lack of Q/C. I realize scale up can be a bitch (I know this from my own work where I earn money to buy kites)... but systematic Q/C and sampling the lots could prevent these embarrassing surprises (at the down time of the paying buyers) and the reputation of the brand.

bojsen
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Eclipse/best

Postby bojsen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:50 pm

What should North do about it....they have probably shipped a whole load of these Rebels?

I would like to buy the new Rebel but now... :roll:

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:33 pm

bojsen wrote:What should North do about it....they have probably shipped a whole load of these Rebels?

maufacturers should be responsible and pro-active for their distribution chain. if not hopefully they are responsive to problems when they appear in the field. (I want to have a look at the Rebel 09, too).

bojsen
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Eclipse/best

Postby bojsen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:17 pm

liv2surf wrote:
bojsen wrote:What should North do about it....they have probably shipped a whole load of these Rebels?

maufacturers should be responsible and pro-active for their distribution chain. if not hopefully they are responsive to problems when they appear in the field. (I want to have a look at the Rebel 09, too).
Agree with you but I just think they (North) will keep silent about this, hoping it was one unlucky occasion. Imagine if they would admit a mistake in their quality control...a slight damage to their very valuable brand.

Return to “Kitesurfing”