Forum for kitesurfers
bedmondson
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help a new kiteboarder!

Postby bedmondson » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:30 pm

I am about to start kiteboarding for the first time. I bought a trainer kite, dvd, and will be going out to the beach with an experienced friend. I am 152lb, and I can not seem to figure out what kind of equipment I should buy. The board sizes and kite sizes seem to have a large range. I will be in the galveston,tx area where winds seem to be around 8-15mph most days. I will also be traveling to corpus christi and maybe florida this summer.

Should beginners start with smaller kites? Let me know if I am wrong but it seems like a larger kite, 14-17m would be good? I don't want to get to small a kite then it not be usefull because there is not enough wind.

BizB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 175
Local Beach: Gunpowder, Matapeak, Triton
Style: Freestyle/Big Air
Gear: Slingshot RPM/RPX/SST/FUEL
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Re: Help a new kiteboarder!

Postby BizB » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:55 pm

I would suggest that you refrain from buying any additional gear until after your lesson(s). During the lesson, your instructor should be able to give you insight into the correct size choices for the winds in your area.

Kite size is not dependent upon user experience, really. Though, a more experienced kiter may be more likely to have the ability to control a larger kite in higher winds.

Feel the stoke!

xspataro
Frequent Poster

Postby xspataro » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:18 pm

i agree, you should take lessons from a teacher. its faster, and safer. an expirience friend will come in handy when youre already going on your own, but start with classes

texaskiter69
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galvastion,

Texas City Levee
Style: freestyle
Gear: 08 Ocean Rodeo Rise

Postby texaskiter69 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:33 pm

sweet your gona be kiting the same places as me, if you need to find a good instuctor or any help just send me a pm

texaskiter69
Rare Poster

Texas City Levee

Postby texaskiter69 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:41 pm

a 10 or 12 for your weight i weigh 170ish and i ride a 12 and it still can get too windy for me but if its less than 13 knots its not even worth going look into a ocean rodeo one it has a huge range then when your better get a rise but be warned its an unforgiving kite(the rise)

bedmondson
Rare Poster

Postby bedmondson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:35 am

I was going to get lessons from a professional teacher but they charge $100 an hour and have a 3 day course that is 3 hours a day. After taxes that will be over $1000. It seems a little outrageous to me to pay that much for lessons. I already know how to wakeboard so learning to fly the kite is key to me. I hear a lot of people saying you must get lessons from a teacher but I wonder who is saying that? maybe they are teachers and it is all a conspiracy!!! lol. I am just going to try and get as learned as possible with the dvd and trainer kite unless I can find a cheaper alternative to the local shop here.

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:45 am

bedmondson wrote:I was going to get lessons from a professional teacher but they charge $100 an hour and have a 3 day course that is 3 hours a day. After taxes that will be over $1000. It seems a little outrageous to me to pay that much for lessons. I already know how to wakeboard so learning to fly the kite is key to me. I hear a lot of people saying you must get lessons from a teacher but I wonder who is saying that? maybe they are teachers and it is all a conspiracy!!! lol. I am just going to try and get as learned as possible with the dvd and trainer kite unless I can find a cheaper alternative to the local shop here.

Prepare to spend some time in the hospital. Your bills will be more than the lessons.

texaskiter69
Rare Poster

Texas City Levee

Postby texaskiter69 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:53 am

dude get lessons trust me i've had plenty of f*** ups even with lessons check out xl kites in the kema area phil and jason there are awesome instructors but dont be one of thouse ppl who watches the dvd and trys to figure it out we have a few at the levee and we wont even help them launch, kiteboarding is a brotherhood but we dont like stupid ppl plus all you need is a few hours of lessons if you need more then its probly a good idea to get more because if you kiting in our area we dont want kites getting tangled together, just get some lessons, get ppl to show you the ropes, and take all the advice you can
Last edited by texaskiter69 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patrickm86
Medium Poster

Postby Patrickm86 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:54 am

It is almost like people start these threads for fun to get a reaction out of people.

Not it is not a conspiracy. Get lessons. If you truly want to get into the sport you will fork over the money. You will hurt someone if you just do the DVD thing.

I am not an instructor :wink:

bedmondson
Rare Poster

Postby bedmondson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:02 am

wow. Point taken all. Does everyone agree it takes $1000 of lessons to become a capable kiteboarder? Maybe someone has a more reasonable approach?

Now, I don't want everyone to yell at me for this but I am just saying... I learned to ski and snowboard with out a paying a "professional". I learned to waterski and wake board with out paying a "professional". I understand that building the notion that the only safe and acceptable way to learn this sport is to take lessons will create a safer environment for everyone involved. What makes kiteboarding so extraordinarily different than other sports to suggest that lessons from a professional are the only way to go? I learned everything else from friends with knowledge of the sport.

Convince me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”