Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Waroo looks like a bow kite, do they pay royalties?

forum for kitesurfers

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Waroo looks like a bow kite, do they pay royalties?

Postby ScottM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Hey while trying to figure out a cool design for the waroo colour scheme using the templates provided by Best, I just noticed it had the curved trailing edge like the Crossbow and other bows first on the market.

I would gather that this makes it qualify as a bow kite design as it also has the bridged bridle to support the leading edge. So in the end do they pay royalties to Bruno for using his design, which would only seem fair?

Anyway all this time I thought it as something different, but by the looks of it, I'd say it looks like a copy of the bow diagram from the Cabrinha website. Anyone see differently?
Attachments
compare1.gif
compare1.gif (26.72 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
hpa_names.jpg
hpa_names.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 4010 times

FredMurphy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FredMurphy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:53 pm

I don't think Best even paid the original "inflatable kite" royalties, never mind anything relating to either Legainoux's bow kites or the Sonic design. They may have changed it just enough to get round it legally.

Dano the Great!
Frequent Poster

Postby Dano the Great! » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:02 pm

Yep, that’s my understanding & big beef with Best!

They save money on Royalties and then undercut the other manufactures. Not cool… :nob:

This is a great opportunity for Best to come clean with their business model & prove to the kite community that that are on the up & up. Let’s here it guys. We're all ears...:dumbo: ~D
Last edited by Dano the Great! on Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:32 pm

Yeah would be a shame if royalties aren't paid, people put alot of work into validating a design, they should be rewarded for this. I know in other topics SQ tries to suggest that Cabrinha will copy the Waroo by using 5 struts or other small design changes, but this is minor compared to coping the whole concept of the bow design.

Anyway considering that Bruno only charges $12 per kite, I would doubt that this would push the costs up for BEST dramatically you think? Unless this would set a precedent and force them to back pay on the inflatable kite royalties as well?

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:54 pm

So many policeman so little point,

The Waroo is not a Bannana Ocean wing, it is a high projected area design with a bridled leading edge.

That a volo has wheels does not make it a wheelbarrow...

LOL, say what is it with playing policeman?

Waroo has dead straight trailing edge, Disqualifes it as a Bananna

Bannana being the curve in you dong...

... from pulling it/playing policeman too long,,,

Switch hands,, unless you've the mucho- Bannana aspirations

Regards 50s bo-zos
fo
lol,,,

Dano the Great!
Frequent Poster

Postby Dano the Great! » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:04 pm

Dancing around it Fo... :dance2:

The question is Royalties paid by Best or not?? Plain & simple.

Got it??

~D

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:07 pm

Hey Dano,,

How was vantana?

Say, how would I know?

I wouldn't pay a homeless guy to sleep in the street.

It's no Bannana,,,That's all I know...

Regards
man

(doing the phillipe are we?)

lol

Dano the Great!
Frequent Poster

Postby Dano the Great! » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:17 pm

Hey Fo, LV was really nice! 10 out of 12 days on the water. Came back fully de-compressed & was then a bit shocked by the world we live in... :o

I’m not trying to be a cop, a pimp or a “phillipeâ€

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:19 pm

Actually it's a valid question as we've seen much hype about how different it is from a bow. Perhaps the images provided by Best are not correct but if you compare the straight red line on the trailing edge of the Waroo outline, you can clearly see a concave trailing edge.
Attachments
best.jpg
best.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 3819 times

pjc
Frequent Poster

Postby pjc » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:20 pm

I'm a big fan of Best, but I'd like to see them pay Bruno's royalties as well.

Let's be real here -- it is not Cabrinha or Naish or SS or Best that are driving kite design. The real innovation is coming from Bruno. And he is being very reasonable -- non-exclusive licensing at 12 Euro a kite. Add the 12 Euros to the retail price andt Best is still way cheaper.

I'd really like to see Best come clean on this subject. Either they pay the royalty or explain why they're outside the patent.

I'm not normally into playing cop, but without Bruno, there'd be no kitesurfing, and guys like me would never venture into the ocean at all...

Return to “Kitesurfing”