Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The backflip

forum for kitesurfers

novice
Rare Poster

The backflip

Postby novice » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:38 am

Hi!

Anyone knows link with details about how to do backflip? I'm not shure how to do it. Have tried but crashed overturning it :D
(At least I think so! he he)

Cheers

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:57 am

an easy technique is to keep the kite high, when nicely powered, look for an upwind smallish ramp, make sure you have reasonable/comfortable board speed, edge smoothly upwind towards the ramp, just as you hit it use a wrist action only to move the kite slightly back in the window....

then dont even worry/think if youre airborne, but instantly turn your head to look right over your leading shoulder and you must continue doing this, this initiates the the backflip (or rather spin) and KEEP looking over your shoulder and as you turn, use the same opposite wrist action to re-direct the kite.... small movements only...... then spot your landing and either extend your legs or tuck your knees to reduce/increase the spin for the landing to avoid over/under rotation

Then extend your back leg for a nice smooth landing..... get it right and you "should" land at planing speed and feel very happy with yourself.

To do a proper backflip, its a very similar technique (albeit this is a tantrum - and you are better off landing spins first), just rather than looking sharply over your leading shoulder you instead quickly look hard right upwards and behind you.... imagine you are trying to get the back of your head to touch your back, then over you go and keep your body/legs as straight as possible and it is best to let go of the bar with your back hand as this is critical to the rotation.

Keep trying..... do it at least once, then twice on every tack all day long and you will have it nailed in no time.

Good luck

gotwind
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: The Flats, Tunnels, Wailua, The Pu, Kingdoms
Favorite Beaches: The Flats,Tunnels, and Waiehu
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush Team Rider

Postby gotwind » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:59 am

novice
Rare Poster

Postby novice » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:14 am

Thanks guys,

I have compete idea how to do it now! I can hardly wait for a new session to try it out! Hope it'll work! I'll post the results :lol:

Cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”