Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony
Brand Affiliation: None

Lack of sensitivity

Postby simonm » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:54 am

Before any confusion arises, I am talking about kites.

Does anyone else notice that bow kites seem to crash in the surf more than unhooked Cs? The direct feel of an unhooked C means that you can basically fly the kite by feel without seeing where the kite is. I have been stuck in larger waves many times and felt the kite pulling and corrected its decent by either looping or bringing it back up depending on the situation. With all the pulley guff on bows, kite awareness seems much more diminished and it is much harder to feel what to do to keep the kite in the air. Anyone else notice this?

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Rockstar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:11 pm

No.

Its wishfull thinking on your part,because you are jealous of the Bow kites riders !

ozonelevel
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Gear: Whatever works

Postby ozonelevel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:30 pm

What's a "C" kite? I've never actually seen one. Asked some more experienced local riders about it. They said it's a type of kite used in the early days of the sport that they actually learned to kite on and was quite an adventure. Nobody uses them anymore. Hopefully someone will buy one e-bay so that we can actually see one fly on the beach.

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:06 pm

i have crashed bows in waves more than Cs.. but that was in part because they were new to me and i spent a bit to much time mucking around with the trim strap while unhooking.. point being i think it has lots to do with how well dialed in you are to your kite. if you are new to bows/sles you are going to crash them. especially in the waves where you have lots more to pay attention to. the modern bows/sles are getting smoother in power transition.. less on off. that's gotta help the ease of flying them.

unhooked wave riding may be a dif story. im still learning... as it is winter now and i'll be snowboarding more days than kiting,,, ill have to get back to you in a few months on that one! getting myself some small Cs for the Spring just to be sure. plan is to go C for the steady wind days and bow/sle for the gusty ones..

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:16 pm

C kites are better unhooked there is no denying that

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:08 pm

Hooked or not, if I blow out my edge, crash on a landing, sail into a "hole" with no wind, or whatever, and the kite starts to go down, either powered, stall or "Hindenberg", I can fly it back to zenith, even if I am underwater, on my back, etc., about 80% of the time.

Not because I have any great skills ( I don't), just because my kite is a good kite. You can always feel where it is flying, and equally important, even when it is not flying normally, you can predict is rate of stall/sink/roll/turn and steer it quickly where it needs to go to stay aloft. (usually :wink: )
And, yes, it's a C kite.
You know it's good when you can fly the kite from underwater without seeing it!

So my question is, can bow users say the same?
From my experience bows seem to "stick to the sky" a little easier without user input, but personally I have had a harder time keeping them from crashing when they want to crash.
??

kite-it-right
Medium Poster

Postby kite-it-right » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:27 am

AdrenalinDriven wrote:C kites are better unhooked there is no denying that
imo, c kites are better an most things( coming from an ex bow kiter)

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:52 pm

:D

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Personally I don't fly LEIs, but the absolute best riders around here fly C-Kites. In particular there are two guys. On flies Naish and the other RRD.

solo flight
Frequent Poster

Postby solo flight » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:36 pm

You have to know your gear,in these past three years of 'bow'development nearly all brands have changed their kites considerably every new year,in a frantic search for the perfect kite(like they did in the first years of kiting).

C-kites nowadays are mostly only tweeked, as the design has ripened and thus the designers have near total controll during their design proces.

It won't stop me from buying new kites every year,but especcially in kiterippin' waves I'm carefull on my first sessions on a new kite.

PS not saying C-s don't change,they stay closer to their original design parameters IMO.

Return to “Kitesurfing”