Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Heel straps - advice needed please!

forum for kitesurfers

snowplay
Rare Poster

Heel straps - advice needed please!

Postby snowplay » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:06 am

I have just added Dakine Raptor heel straps to my Underground FLX board to stop me losing my board - especially in my jumps. (I ride in lots of coastal chop/waves)

My question is really to anyone who uses heel straps - but how do you get out of them when you are coming in to land? I have tried different ways with little success. I have tried to undo them quickly at the beach edge after a session. This normally makes me look like an idiot faffing around in the surf - with my board finally releasing and washing down the beach. Or I have been stopping some distance out to undo the heel straps and them cruising in with my feet half attached.

Does anyone have any useful info (please no "avoid using heel straps" info!!)

Thanks

whiskas
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Heel straps - advice needed please!

Postby whiskas » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:29 am

Hmm, not sure if I understand the problem as there shoud not be a problem... Just sit down in shallow water and take the straps off? Or you can, while riding the last meters before land, just bend down and slide the heelstraps down the heel so that you can step out of the straps as if you didnt have the heelstraps.

Hmm. Clear?

lex123
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Narrabeen / Long reef Beach, Sydney, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Narrabeen
Longreef
Style: Wake
Gear: North Team Series 133
North EVO 11 & 7
Brand Affiliation: North and Naish

Postby lex123 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:00 am

I bought the same thing last week. just flick them off your heel while your riding in, then dismount normally.

snowplay
Rare Poster

Postby snowplay » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The problem is that where I ride has quite a rough onshore surf - where you can't hang around when coming in. The heel straps are doing a great job - but they are tricky to get off. I was hoping somebody else had a similar problem and maybe could suggest a modification (velcro tab??) to help me take them off.

Today the wind was wild - gusting like a bugger - with crashing waves on the beach. Having your feet secure on a day like this is great - coming into the beach firmly attached to a board is not!!

Maybe I can't have my cake and eat it!!

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:10 pm

When heading out, slipi into your footstraps but not the heelstraps. Have the heelstraps remain under your foot's arch. Waterstart and ride away to deeper water. Take a dip and redo your feet. Reverse for coming back in to land.

RM3001
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Tampa Bay
Style: freeride
Gear: omega 15m waroo 9m underground 148x46 prodigy 148

Postby RM3001 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:14 pm

I always wear booties due to oyster beds and such but they make your feet slip out more(at least the booties I have - Okespor). Not sure about the Dakines but I bought the rubber heel straps and they work pretty well. The rubber ones can be flipped on top of the footstrap to stay out of the way or since they are thin you can just put your foot over them if you really needed.

The people I talked to said the Dakines were harder to get out of if you really needed to fast so I opted for the rubber ones which they said would be easier to exit. The rubber streches quite a bit so you can just reach down while riding in to move the straps off. Even easier is to just flip the straps up when you're still on the outside and then ride final tack in with just the regular footstraps.

legrill83
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sandy Hook
Favorite Beaches: Delray, Whale harbor, LBI, Boca Grande, Hatteras
Gear: Wainman/Mystic/RRD

Postby legrill83 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:41 pm

Another question related to this topic.

What is the correct way to attach heel straps? I have Liquid Force Lux pads/straps.

I'm guessing that the straps get screwed into the board between the pad and the foot straps?

Return to “Kitesurfing”