Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Rhino2 for 70kg rider???

forum for kitesurfers

North Rhino2 for 70kg rider???

Postby Guest » Sat May 10, 2003 8:05 pm

Hello..

I need a bit of advice, Im looking for a new low end kite for this season.. I have a great deal on a Rhino2 16m. But from what I have heard this kite is supposed to be nukin fukin strong, and you need something like 90kg to be able to hold back its fury.. I weigh 68kg plus boardshorts... And I have a defender 143 on the way. My skills are pretty much intermediate++ and all my previous kites have been High AR. I can also get a Mach2 16.. but I dont know.. I read that it is a really faaast/sensitive kite and it needs a fast board/(lots of sineing) to deliver power, which I dont know if the Defender is.

Thanks/ Jay. no not Z :bye:

Btw... What would you think my range would be on the Rhino2/Mach2

Sake
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sake » Sat May 10, 2003 8:53 pm

Rhino2 is surely better for heavy guys. In de 2002 North brochure it even says so. And the Toro for leighter kiters. In 2003 that difference is supposed to be smaller but the rule still stands

I have the same experience in 2002 and I would not even think about buying a Rhino knowing that there are plenty of excellent kites out there!

AMP delivers excellent mix for 70-80kg kiters. :thumb:

Don't know what the characteristic are of the Mach2 but it surely has more depower so better suited for leighter riders. :o

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Re: North Rhino2 for 70kg rider???

Postby DrLightWind » Sun May 11, 2003 5:00 am

Anonymous wrote:Hello..
I need a bit of advice, Im looking for a new low end kite for this season.. I have a great deal on a Rhino2 16m. But from what I have heard this kite is supposed to be nukin fukin strong, and you need something like 90kg to be able to hold back its fury.. I weigh 68kg plus boardshorts... And I have a defender 143 on the way. My skills are pretty much intermediate++ and all my previous kites have been High AR. I can also get a Mach2 16.. but I dont know.. I read that it is a really faaast/sensitive kite and it needs a fast board/(lots of sineing) to deliver power, which I dont know if the Defender is.

Thanks/ Jay. no not Z :bye:

Btw... What would you think my range would be on the Rhino2/Mach2
Please read the thread @ Try!F-One M II 16m the ultimate lightwinder with 40m lines? I just posted recently and it will help you to decide.

One of my friend has the Rhino II 16m and he is complaining it is very hard to jump with it and needs much more wind than for the Mach II 16m.
He also mentioned it's hard to go upwind with it especially when the wind is on the lower side.
If you have steady 11 knots you don't really have to sine the Mach II 16m, but it is capable to produce the power when it's less than that.
I had secondary jumps today when the gust was hitting by simply bringing up the kite again to 12 without any board speed in only 11 knots with 40 meter lines and directional board. :jump:

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Sun May 11, 2003 5:30 am

40 meter lines and a reasonably big directional will get you going with even almost any 4 line 12 meter + kite in 11 knots. But lets face it, jumps suck with 40m lines, and who really want to ride a big directional these days when new kites are so powerful and allow for smaller boards?

I have been using a 14m Rhino II for some time. This is a super grunty and powerful kite. I would think at your weight, a 19m Rhino II would be a perfect low end kite. From what I hear, a Toro 2 might be even better. It should have slightly more depower range in stronger wind if that is your concern.

You wont need anything bigger, and you will get good range from either of these kites. The 16m Rhino is very popular, and I have friends (who are heavier than you) who use their 16m Rhino II in 20knots OK. I can get going in almost as much wind as on my 20m X2 (on my Mutant). Thats about a consistent 12 knots for me.

I'd get the Rhino or Toro if you want a low end kite. I am now using X3's which I would guess are a similar styule to a Mach 2. These are rigid, fast, high performance style kites - but the benenfit comes in more wind than less wind I beleive.

I think your better off with a Gruntier smaller kite like the Rhino, than a faster bigger kite for light wind conditions. The 16m Rhino will be lighter and more powerful than a higher aspect faster kite in a larger size in my view.

I weigh 85 Kgs. I don't think weight is as much a factor as skill. I have a good friend who is about 68, and he often uses the same size kite as me, or even bigger when I am overpowered at times. For example I have been maxed out on a 10m X2 and he has been using an 11m Slignshot Fuel (very grunty kite). This was in 30 knots +.

From what I hear the Toro 2 is a fantastic, all around easy to use kite. Especially in the 16m size. From what I hear, they have the 16m Toro dialled for huge range. It's 9 months more recent design than the Rhino - so I would go for that.

Or try an Aero II.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Sun May 11, 2003 5:39 am

I just read Bela's post on the Mach... I think this is a matter of persoanal preference. What appeals to me about the Rhino II for light wind (I have not persoanlly flown the Toro) is that you can lock it in straight away and you have power to edge against and jump from. If I have to sine my kite than I don't bother kitesurfing. Others may be able to generate as much power working the kite with a faster profile kite, and may prefer the extra speed and manourability - like Bela. It's horses for courses. All I can say is that if 16 is going to be your bioggest kite, and you want power then go for the most powerful 16m you can find, not one than can be depowered and used in stronger wind. You might as well change down and use a 10 or 12 for that at your weight. Try a few kites and see what you like.

Dwight raves about the Toro 16 - definately worth a look in my view. I am now flying X3's, and this means that I need an 18 or 20 for lighter wind. These are not 'grunty' kites so you need more size. I would guess that the Mach II is similar.

kitemonkey
Rare Poster

Postby kitemonkey » Sun May 11, 2003 11:31 am

First of all, thanks for all the help, you really gave me some great advice. :thumb:

I guess the rest is up to me.. but I would still like to hear what you think. I currently own a Mach1 12, which I found is a great from around 16knots+. In lighter wind I think its a really sensitive bitch.. According to what I have heard the Mach2 16 would probably be great around 14knots. By great I mean nicely powered, and that you dont have to sine the kite. You could probably like Dr.lightwind said get going in 8-9knots on a big directional and 40m lines... but then again Im not the kind of guy that has 40m lines and a big directional, i like to put my lines on, grab my one board and go. So after having said that, I think I should go for the Rhino2. But Im still very uncertain since I have never tried that kind of a kite before, I have tried Arx, Airblasts. How different are they? in how they ride? Is the Rhino really hard to go upwind on?

Cheers/ Jay :P

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sun May 11, 2003 12:25 pm

kitemonkey wrote:I have never tried that kind of a kite before, I have tried Arx, Airblasts. How different are they? in how they ride? Is the Rhino really hard to go upwind on?

Cheers/ Jay :P
The Rhino2 is easy to go upwind. It pulls more like the ARX than Airblast.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sun May 11, 2003 1:57 pm

Jay,
As soon you understand how speed is important you will start boosting skyward higher which is #1 key factor for higher jumping.
#2 key factor is the upward component of the force which is only a transient force by itself and often absorbed by the lines and not enough for boosting "high".
In combination the faster you move forward, the more you can send the kite upward (you don’t need as much backward force) to jump higher.
So why depend only on the low end grunt transient forces? From my observation I see all the time a rider can jump higher all the time with more control with a smaller faster kite while they are sining the kite. So don't be afraid!
:jump:
Here is my 2 cents before you decide:
#1. Please try out different kites which one you like best.
#2. Read the recent UK Kitesurf Magazine Mar/Apr 10 high aspect around 15m Kites. Note: after you read it you will see the rhino 16 is only for people whoo are over 200lbs and "beware of it it may spank you".
#3. You would not be disappointed with flying other kites like the Gaastra GXR 16.5m and Takoon Scoop 17m either, I'v flown these and they are amazing . So give a chance for yourself to decide, but only after you have flown theese kites and than you will the real thing. Since you are on the lighter side you don't need a biger than 17m kite, otherwise your range will be limited & narrow easily overpowered pluss you have to be a heavier rider to make a biger kite faster.
I just tried to help and hopefully it's useful. :D

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sun May 11, 2003 3:57 pm

Rhinos are probbably the best lightwind kites this season. Weight is not so important than skill, 70 kg is not a featherweight.
The rhinos don't depower too much so a good edging board is a must. The upwind ability is awesome when you have enough wind.
These kites keep you going and "jumping" even underpowered.
If you have a good deal, go for it.

bobbybill
Medium Poster

Postby bobbybill » Wed May 14, 2003 8:09 pm

I agree w/ Hernan, the Rhino 2's (I have 8, 10, 12, 16) are beautifully engineered. They're great in steady wind, but in big gusts, I wouldn't want to ride twintips w/little fins (I ride custom Mutant w/big surf fins in the middle). And yes, they ride upwind and jump great.

BTW, i'm about 70kg and put 16m kite on about 25 m lines, 28" bar, steers very fast for a kite that size. Also front lines about 1.5" shorter, I think

Return to “Kitesurfing”