Le Rem
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Beginner buying advice

Postby Le Rem » Wed May 28, 2003 2:03 pm

Hi Kitesurfers!
I'm starting the kite and before invest good money, I need tips! :?:
Which Flysurfer size/kind of kite in preferable to start with?
What are the flying differences between inflatable type kites and the Flysurfer kites (with wind cells)?
I am already training with Flysurfer Maniac 2.0, I'm 65kg, I'm already windsurfer and snowboarder.
Thanks for your help :thumb:
Le Rem 8) from Shanghai

zimboflyman
Medium Poster

Postby zimboflyman » Wed May 28, 2003 5:56 pm

Hi Le Rem...

At 65kg’s with windsurfing and snowboarding experience, sounds simmilar to my background – other than snowboarding!
Inflateables…..
I would suggest a medium aspect Inflateable (since I’ve not kitsurfed with foils – can’t really comment on them) I started on secondhand Naish 11.5m AR5 which is a 4 line kite from around 2000. If you want to start on a new kite, possibly Naish Aero (2002) I’ve heard the Aero 2 (2003) might be very powerfull.??? The only reason I suggest Naish is simply because these are the majority of kites I’ve used and they seem to be built pretty strong – since when learning you will undoubtedly hammer the kite quite often. I’m sure there are loads of other well made kites out there.
Size wize, I’d definatley recommend around 11/12m (Naish sizing) remember this is different to many other kite sizes and should be around 9m Wipika/takoon/flexifoil/North sizing – maybe someone can confirm this?
Anyway this size is not too massive to begin with and normally has a relatively large wind range. For your weight, I’d suggest 10 to 20 knots. Although things will get tough as you approach the upper limit until you learn to control the board and use it to depower. (and depower the kite by bringing to the edge of the window where it has less power!)
If you buy second hand – pump the kite up hard and try check all the seams on the main bladder and struts as once these begin to deteriate, it can cost a lot to repair.

If you can borrow a larger board (165-180cm) to begin with, this is great, because if you learn qwick, you will outgrow it very fast. Then buy something around the 150cm size. A Twin tip is best all round as it will have simmiliar characteristics to a snowboard.

A lesson or two can also go a long way to getting you up and using the right gear.

Find out about relaunchable foils like flysurfer's as this seems to be a growing option!
Just make sure you choose your locations carefully – steady winds, large open uncrowded beaches – avoid offshore winds at all cost, it’s not worth the problems it can cause. Give yourself plently of downwind space when launching – launch away from hard objectsand use a leash and helmet.

Sorry bout the long speech – just havn’t been kiting for a few weeks now, goin a bit mad……………..
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

Enjoy!!!!

Le Rem
Rare Poster

titan 6.5 or 9.5, za t'iz ze kestion!!

Postby Le Rem » Thu May 29, 2003 1:27 am

Hey Zimboflyman !!
Thanks for your long answer and good tips! :thumb:
Isn't there good spots to fly alround London?

Here, we are several fellows starting together (with experimented guys also), and we plan to get Flysurfer's kites.
Do somebody knows if Titan 6.5 or 9.5 would fit with my profile for starting?
:bye:

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Thu May 29, 2003 3:46 am

What kind of winds do you expect to be riding in? Usually 12m inflatable or 9.x flysurfer is the reccomended size, but in some places that is too big and in many places that is too small.

When I first got into kiteboarding, the local dealer reccomended I get a 5m naish ar3, since anything else would be too big and too dangerous. Those kites were punny! I'm so glad I did not waste $700 on one, most days around here my 16.5 warrior is not enough to let me go out.

The titan is probably OK for a beginner and should be very inflatable-like in its handling but with faster, easier relaunch. I have not tried a titan yet.

The Warriors and Maniacs have a zero-bar pressure design - which means the bar stays where you put it when you sheet in and out. On inflatables, the titan, and the psycho there is positive bar pressure which means the bar will sheet out if you let go while hooked in. Most riders prefer the positive pressure because it lets you get a better feel for how much power you are working with.

zimboflyman
Medium Poster

Postby zimboflyman » Fri May 30, 2003 3:05 pm

nah Le Rem....

Nearest decent beach is about 1 and half hours drive from London - but there are some really great spots all over Uk, wales and Ireland!!!

What about Shangai? good spots nearby? Is kitesurfing a big movement in china?

Cheers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”