Forum for kitesurfers
hwenn
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Leashes - again

Postby hwenn » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:38 am

I must say I was irresponsible yesterday and did not use a leash. Only about 20% of the guys at my beach use leashes, but it certainly does not make it right.

I like to ride unhooked with the pulley bar system. Any way to make a spinnable leash that will work with handle passes? Without handle passes would well to, I haven't really done them yet anyway.

Any pictures on what it should look like would be really helpful, or a picture of the new half leash system of the pros would work too.

Peace

Henrik

Stan
Medium Poster

Postby Stan » Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:12 am

The leash I use now for learning different passes is simple, I use one of Slingshot's stretchy, clip leashes which is good because you can remove it while you are kiting or put it on to try passes. I connect the wrist cuff to the handle on the back of my harness and then leave one end of the leash permanently clipped here. The other end I clip to the side of my spreader bar untill I want to pass, then I clip it onto the ring at the bottom of my leader and pass. This works fine, just make sure you start with the leash on the propper side so it can unraved, instead of spinning around your guts and cutting you in half. Hope you understand, good luck.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Leashes - again

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:24 am

Deleted
Last edited by kiteboarder@pacbell.net on Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Leashes - again

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:37 am

"hwenn" wrote:
I must say I was irresponsible yesterday and did not use a leash. Only about 20% of the guys at my beach use leashes, but it certainly does not make it right.

I like to ride unhooked with the pulley bar system. Any way to make a spinnable leash that will work with handle passes? Without handle passes would well to, I haven't really done them yet anyway.
Thank you for knowing what's right, & joining those of us who wish to keep kiteboarding as long as possible (by using leashes to avoid bans caused by runaways). Also, congratulations for realizing you'll learn handle-passes quicker if you don't lose your kite every time you miss one. As for a SPINNING handle-pass leash, since you have to unhook to do the pass, would it be okay to have to unhook to unspin? If not, maybe instead of having NO leash connected in order to spin*, it could be made to connect to the side of your harness for passes, & to a swivel for spinning (I guess only a swivel-hook would work for hooking in & out).

*or just learn to spin the other way too!

http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/al ... ass?full=1
the new half leash system of the pros would work too.
I've never heard of this new "half leash" system. Does anybody have a description or picture of one? (Henrik: Where did you hear of it?)

stonezone
Medium Poster

Postby stonezone » Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:34 am

I connect my leash to a small line that hangs off the back of my pulley, therefore, if I lose the bar, it completely depowers the kite, similar, but more so than if you clip it around a chickenloop like martin and the boys are doing.

sz

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:23 pm

Is that the "new half leash system"?

If I understand correctly, the first one you describe depowers as much as would be possible with both front lines still tight. It does NOT really FULLY depower the kite like releasing tension on all but one line (like regular leashes do). That seems better than the second one (to the trim loop).

Either would seem to be a decent option for advanced riders, especially if you have a "grab" leash (the "half" leash should give you time to grab the fully depowering leash). I'm glad to hear some pros are helping set an example with leash use. Hopefully it will catch on before all the runaways get us banned.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:52 am

kiteboarder@pacbell.net wrote:Is that the "new half leash system"?

I'm glad to hear some pros are helping set an example with leash use. Hopefully it will catch on before all the runaways get us banned.

I don't think this leash is used for safety reasons, it is just for not loosing the kite doing handelpasses, so is more for convenience than for safety.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:20 am

In my opinion, simply not losing the kite adds a GREAT deal of public safety, which matters most, since it's lack will get us banned.

By the way, if they can do a handle-pass with a so-called "half-leash", why not with a real leash?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:03 am

there are ways to have a leash and do handle passes.
If you don't want to do handle passes and feel comfortable to be shackled, have a look at this system:

It is a fully spinable bar and works perfect.
more infos:
http://www.kiteproshop.com

Greets
Toby

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:03 pm

"Toby" wrote:
there are ways to have a leash and do handle passes.
Somebody posted me privately, pointing out that a real depowering kiteleash requires relaunching after activation. The "half-leash" doesn't always: if you miss the handle-pass you may still be able to retrieve the bar before the kite crashes, to continue practicing.
...have a look at this system:...
That's the system with no front line adjustment, right? I think somebody mentioned they've now come out with an adjustable system. If not, I've got a new simple system for greater range of rear line adjustment (than the one above), but adjusting rear lines is pretty hard on an inflatable, isn't it? ARCs are easy though, & since that's what I ride, my new rear adjusters should be fine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”