Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mel's accident, what kind of kite Mel was using ?

forum for kitesurfers

Mel's accident, what kind of kite Mel was using ?

Postby Guest » Thu May 29, 2003 9:13 pm

I remember, that Mel wrote Guerilla ARC is his latest kite. He said Guerilla Arc to be very good gust absorber. Was G-Arc Mel's accident kite ? I'm using Guerilla ARC too (G18), and it seem to have very much lift in fast gusts

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mel's accident, what kind of kite Mel was using ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 29, 2003 11:25 pm

Golre wrote:I remember, that Mel wrote Guerilla ARC is his latest kite. He said Guerilla Arc to be very good gust absorber. Was G-Arc Mel's accident kite ? I'm using Guerilla ARC too (G18), and it seem to have very much lift in fast gusts
I cant say anything about the Guerilla ARC specifically, but I can say for sure, that whatever kite you are using - you'll risk getting lofted in gusts when parked overhead !

So don't worry about your Guerilla being worse than others - I still think they are better gust absorbers (as most ARC's) than other kites !

But in gusts you'll risk getting lofted with ANY kite :roll:

kitesurf73
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurf73 » Fri May 30, 2003 3:03 am

Kites are made for getting air how the hell do you absorb a gust with something thats are constructed to get as much air as possible ?????

PS: Im not mad just really ciourius..... :bye:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri May 30, 2003 4:34 am

Peter as usual has it spot on. Some kites handle gusts "relatively" better than others but not to a significant degree in the face of a truly strong gust. After all they are designed to effectively provide lift under such conditions.

I like to say traction kites are like guns, don't point a gun at something you don't want to shoot by accident and on the same token, NEVER point a traction kite where you don't want to GO. The way things work, just add a strong gust and there you are and at speed ...

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Re: Mel's accident, what kind of kite Mel was using ?

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat May 31, 2003 3:17 am

[quote="Golre"]I remember, that Mel wrote Guerilla ARC is his latest kite. He said Guerilla Arc to be very good gust absorber. Was G-Arc Mel's accident kite ? I'm using Guerilla ARC too (G18), and it seem to have very much lift in fast gusts[/quote]

Sent him a private get well quickly, wouldn't wish spinal injuries on anyone!
I think what Mel has always said about Arcs is that on the water, in use, the rider does not feel gusts as much with the arc style kite, compared to inflatable kites Mel has used?
From what I read Mels entire accident occured as he was trying to land the kite?
Arcs are the only kite to be able to auto zenith, bit this was not a cause of Mels accident. I am just taking the opportunity to amke the warning again, do not rely on this feature of the kite while on land, actively keep the kite below 11 or 1 oclock.
Never walk upwind with your back to your arc kite, with no hands on the bar! Even though you may think this looks cool in front of inflato riders, it is a most dangerous habit to get into, and has the potential to injure you in the same way as Mel, or worse!

powerkiteaddict
Very Frequent Poster

Postby powerkiteaddict » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:16 am

Golre wrote:I remember, that Mel wrote Guerilla ARC is his latest kite. He said Guerilla Arc to be very good gust absorber. Was G-Arc Mel's accident kite ? I'm using Guerilla ARC too (G18), and it seem to have very much lift in fast gusts

Steve,

Get the quote thang down wouldya?
PKA

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:49 am

[quote="powerkiteaddict"][quote][quote="Golre"]I remember, that Mel wrote Guerilla ARC is his latest kite. He said Guerilla Arc to be very good gust absorber. Was G-Arc Mel's accident kite ? I'm using Guerilla ARC too (G18), and it seem to have very much lift in fast gusts[/quote]

Steve,

PKA[/quote]

I don't understand, what do you mean by "get the quote thang down wouldya"

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MadMick » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:00 am

kitepower wrote:
powerkiteaddict wrote:

Steve,

PKA
He means hit the quote button at the top of the post,so that the quote comes out with a yellow background.

Have you not noticed that all the quotes except yours are this way??

Get with the program,man!!!

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:34 pm

kitepower wrote:
powerkiteaddict wrote:

Steve,

PKA

Steve, It looks like you are using the correct "quote" syntax (that should make the quoted material appear in a lighter colored box, as above) but you are probably leaving the "Disable BBCode in this post" box checked. It must be unchecked to enable that syntax. You can set it to default to 'unchecked' in your profile so you don't need to do it every time you reply.

Steve T.

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:43 pm

Steve,
You are being a real gentleman by not replying in the way I would perhaps reply. The quote police are apparently a very serious lot. It is rather curious that a discussion about a serious accident to one of the great supporters of the sport has digressed into a discusion of quite ettiquite.
["weird"
Gary[/quote]

Anybody know how Mel is doing?

Return to “Kitesurfing”