Jericoacoara, Taiba, Brazil
Marina di Grosseto, Italy
Style: Wave, a bit freestyle, a bit old school
Gear: Board: 9eleven (130/39) from TWO.AG
Kites: A funny mix. I must tidy up quickly... 7 SP-X, 9 Bandit Dos, 14 Jekyll
Brand Affiliation: None

Takoon Kites

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:32 pm

I would like to know if there is anybody having trouble with the Wook bladders or has some experience with the Takoon's service.

Thanks - Peter

Cape Cod Kite Chick
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Cape Cod Kite Chick » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:49 pm

No problem with the bladders so far, although I know Takoon bladders are kinda thin. What kind of problem are you having? Is it with the bladder or the valve?

Takoon service here has always been EXCELLENT. :thumb: Very prompt and responsive and tries to resolve any problem. I just bought my 3rd Takoon to replace my Wipi, so now my kite quiver is all Takoons.

ralph
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby ralph » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:42 pm

Hi Peter,

Although I really love the flying performance of my Skoop2 kites I am not very happy with the quality. I faced a problem with the bladders too. The seams of the bladders - not the dacron cover of the strut - keep opening. I believe that the welding parameters are not always within range. Mainly they open at the edges and the only way to fix it is to use the glue and stick the two layers of the outer edge (outside the seam) together.

At the first time it happened I got a new bladder from the shop, but since I am glueing - actually nearly every second time after kiting.

It's very annoying since the bladders cost Cents in production and I do not understand why a leading company like Takoon is ruining their reputation by saving pennies for a better bladder. The Takoon kites are the most expensive ones (at least in Germany for shop owners to buy from distributor) - why not using proven stuff like other competitors do?

Furtheron I recently noticed that my 14.5 has a twisted leading edge bladder - pretty nerv-racking! It takes ages to pump it. Not even mentioning the f***ing valves that never work.

But apart from that I love my kite - it is just hard to get air into it and keep it inside!!! :evil:

Pump it up,

Ralph

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:38 pm

I am curious: who makes the kite bladders? Are they really all made by different manufacturers to different specifications? Or is there one UBERBLADDERFABRICANTZBELITUNG somewhere in China? Also; is it really neccessary to make them so thinn & fragile :?: :?: :?:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:51 pm

Flyboy wrote: Are they really all made by different manufacturers to different specifications?
YES.

Take a look inside the opening on different brands of kites. You will see different thicknesses, and differences in the way the edges are welded, including the edge allowance.

agio
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, Jeri
Style: wave,freestyle,freeride
Gear: NK Evo 2011: 6 + 8m2; NK Fuse 2010: 12m2; NK Rhino 05: 16m2; Trax5 2010
prior kite: globerider sonic 2006, north rhino 2005, takoon waroo 2003, naish R3 2001

Postby agio » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:07 pm

I got 2 wooks and I love them. My kiteboarding improved so much since I got these kites.

But I have to confirm what ralph wrote:
The seams of the bladders - not the dacron cover of the strut - keep opening... actually nearly every second time after kiting.
This is really annoying. My old R3 11, I am lending to my friends, which is actually used more often never had a problem. It is always pumped up rock hard and crashes into the water,... but no problem.

The funny thing is, my takoon bladders are always OK when I come back from kiteboarding, but they have a hole when I pump them up for the next session. I simply don´t understand why!!!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:01 pm

Could it be sand inside the struts rubbing on the bladder & causing holes?

agio
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, Jeri
Style: wave,freestyle,freeride
Gear: NK Evo 2011: 6 + 8m2; NK Fuse 2010: 12m2; NK Rhino 05: 16m2; Trax5 2010
prior kite: globerider sonic 2006, north rhino 2005, takoon waroo 2003, naish R3 2001

Postby agio » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:06 pm

sorry, no sand around here... must be anything else

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:37 pm

Some Tacoon kites, and and wipika have, lets say, not the best bladders...

Normaly théy warenti it .....

But thats the way it is... (Funny when you know the Tacoon kites, are made at the Cabrinha faktory.. :roll: ) And they dont have this problem... :thumb:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:31 pm

But the older (2001) Cabrinha kites were notorious for problems with the bladders.

Even if the kites are put together in the same factory, surely the bladders are made somewhere else :!: :?:

The bladders are the "weak link" in inflatable kites. So easy to break in so many different ways. And now there are such a variety of stut sizes, valve placement etc. that it's hard for a store or even distributor to stock many spare parts.

My most interesting bladder failure: was flying (for the first & only time) in side-off winds. I was out for about an hour, then while I was close to shore, the kite suddenly just started to lose it's shape & collapse. Inspecting the LE edge bladder I found a 8cm tear at one of the tips. I think it must have caught on something sharp while self-launching: enough to damage the bladder, but it held together for an hour of kiting, then suddenly failed.

It's enough to make you paranoid :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”