Flexifoil Riders Prefer Inflatables

Forum for kitesurfers
Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Flexifoil Riders Prefer Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:20 am

Given the choice between a ram air or an inflatable, Flexifoil team riders choose the Storm 2 (inflatable).

Flexifoil, of course, makes both ram airs and inflatables.

Peter Trow, once the poster boy of ram lovers, rides Storm 2's 95% of the time. He kicked arse riding Storm 2's at the cabo verde wave masters.

Inflatables have a better aerodynamic handling characteristics compared to rams.

Pablo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Pablo » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:44 am

pump me up, you are back!
where have you been all this time?

Mountebank
Rare Poster

Postby Mountebank » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:17 am

Interesting point..especially considering most ram users use the line that riders only use inflats because they are paid to do so.With Flexi..they have the choice..Blade 2 or Storm2.I have noticed that Danny Seales also has changed to Storms (he was another Flexi Blade poster boy)Makes you wonder.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:48 am

Mountebank wrote:Interesting point..especially considering most ram users use the line that riders only use inflats because they are paid to do so.With Flexi..they have the choice..Blade 2 or Storm2.I have noticed that Danny Seales also has changed to Storms (he was another Flexi Blade poster boy)Makes you wonder.
Could it be that the Flexifoil people named here by PMU and you, prefer to use the best tool for the job?
It would be pretty dumb, to compete against people with re-launchable kites, with a NRF, wouldn't it?
Maybe the Storm2 works better on the water too?

Also Flexifoil planned to release the Blade 3 with a VPS (variable power system) but could not get it sorted in time for the planned release date in 2003.
The concept has been shelved for 2003, and more research is being done now on a variable power system for the Blade3 or a completely new kite design.

So if the winds were not perfect, it makes sense that Peter used the Storm 2 at Wadell.
Plus it has a leash, one of the best out there, and all riders had to be leashed at that comp. It is not easy to leash a 2 lined foil like a blade.

Also when statements like "most ram users use the line that riders only use inflatos because they are paid to do so"
If you want to have any cred here, you need to back that up.
Which riders?
How much are they paid?
What ram air would they all prefer to ride?
:bye:

Mountebank
Rare Poster

Postby Mountebank » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:14 am

Steve, I think you have answered a few of my questions..
"Maybe the Storm 2 works better on water too" ..ie..inflat is a better kitesurfing kite (on the water)
If the winds are not perfect:"makes sense Peter used the Storm 2 at Waddell"...ie the inflat is better in a range of wind conditios.
"It is not easy to leash a two lined foil" ie..they are dangerous,and have been flying for how long? without an effective leash?...

Thanks Steve..I will stick to my inlfats anyday after your words of wisdom.

As for cred ..you have not backed up any of your statements with any hard truths just maybe's/opinions ..like... (ie .."maybe" this "makes sense that")..did you ask Peter Trow yourself before you spoke for him??
If you are the spokesman for credibility..its a worry.
As for my cred..maybe you should read the old inflat v foil thread..you will find what you are looking for there.

Dingoman
Medium Poster

Postby Dingoman » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:57 pm

what is the story with Chris Calthrop, I hear he's also using Storms. Makes you wonder, especially after his article Blade vs Inflatables at http://www.k48.com

K48
Rare Poster

Postby K48 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:33 pm

Hi, Chris Calthrop here. I normally stay away from forums but need to set the record straight here. :wink: I use both kites but mostly Blades. A depowering kite with slower max speed is great for real wave riding. 4 line inflatables like the Storm 2 rocks for this, as will the depowerable snowkite from Flexi. For sick air and jumps with a fast upward acceleration nothing beats low weight and high lift/drag ratio. (cf paragliding) The best usable kite I know for this is the Blade 3, when you use it full powered, and send it back from the water line, the launch upward is like a rocket launcher. There is no point sending an inflatable back from anything lower than 50 degrees as it can't go that fast.. too much drag and only 1/3 of the kite pulls in the right direction. So my choice for jumping everytime is the Blade 3. If you enjoy jumping and you don't learn how to do it on a Blade... you certainly are mising out.. but just enjoy whatever you ride! Alohaz... Chris :bye:

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: North orbit

Postby taabsr » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:09 am

This was the best answer i have seen.
Bouth kites have a lot of potencial but for diferent things. depending on what u like u choose what suits you!

Mountebank
Rare Poster

Postby Mountebank » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:39 am

Thanks for giving us some insight Chris.One question though..on your website (see above) you mentioned that you got more verticle lift with your blades("like a rocket launcher").Can you please explain then why ram air kites have not completely dominated hang time contests then?With all the verticle lift and soft glide landings you would only assume that they would be getting insane hang times.Isn't it a Wipika inflat that holds the title?.Considering the blade/other foils have been around for so long ...you would think that someone would have blitzed the hang time record.And if you say ..well competitions are far apart and miss all the freesailing hang time..well, why no video footage to support a hang time record?

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:27 am

Mountebank wrote:Steve, I think you have answered a few of my questions..
"Maybe the Storm 2 works better on water too" ..ie..inflat is a better kitesurfing kite (on the water)
If the winds are not perfect:"makes sense Peter used the Storm 2 at Waddell"...ie the inflat is better in a range of wind conditios.
"It is not easy to leash a two lined foil" ie..they are dangerous,and have been flying for how long? without an effective leash?...

Thanks Steve..I will stick to my inlfats anyday after your words of wisdom.

As for cred ..you have not backed up any of your statements with any hard truths just maybe's/opinions ..like... (ie .."maybe" this "makes sense that")..did you ask Peter Trow yourself before you spoke for him??
If you are the spokesman for credibility..its a worry.
As for my cred..maybe you should read the old inflat v foil thread..you will find what you are looking for there.

G'day Mountebank
I use my real name here and on all forums I post to, so I am happy with my credibility, thanks.
I did not make a statement on behalf of Peter Trow, I asked a question about his choice of kite at wadell, didn't I?

Please copy into your reply to this post, the statements I made in my original reply to PMU, that need backing up?

I did not say you could not leash a 2 lines foil kite, did I?

The conclusions you draw from my post are simplistic and an indicator of where you are biased, IMO.
Also, unless I am misreading your reply to me, you are trying to make personal insults?
Maybe you have not realised that is pointless.

Now, perhaps you could find the time to answer the questions I asked?
Here they are again.
Which riders?
How much are they paid?
What ram air would they all prefer to ride?

Return to “Kitesurfing”