forum for kitesurfers

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

anyone into directional boards?

Postby WILCO » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:40 am

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a directional board, because my dad (yeah my dad!) wants to learn kiteboarding too. He doesn't seeem to get the grip on my BIG TT (180cm) (he's windsurfer as me too).

So were're now looking to buy a big directional (for learning) which can later be used as a lightwind board (I now use the big TT as lightwind board, but I think a big directional will work better....)

I have found these options (second-hand):

RRD directional 175
Airush Starboard directional 172
Cabrinha Surface to Air 5"5 (165cm)

Which board is the best, which will be the board that planes earliest, sail easiest, can hold a bit of power, jumps wel etc...the whole fun package....who knows?

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:17 pm

big ones are best for learning, small ones jump best, med size boards are an all round fun machine offering the best of both worlds...

These are the directional boards I've used.

6ft6in Underground directional
6ft converted surfboard
7ft6in Mini mal Surfboard
6ft Underground directional (140 sessions on this beastie)
150cm Manolo Directional

Hey man directionals rock, you're Dad will love kitesurfing.

As expected the Minimal get's me going REAL REAL early but not really an air machine.

The 6ft Underground directional used to be my main board and this board has a monstrous windrange when ridden right. The fins increase the range of this board heaps, toesiding is easy peasy on directionals and they jump soooooooo well. My mate has a 150cm Manolo directional and that thing totally kicks ass. It's an advanced board, not for beginners but the upwind performance is unreal, it holds so so much power, goes incredably fast and even in light powered conditions you can jump really big with it.... interesting things about directionals, a lot of the top guys use directional style boards called mutants (Mark Shinn?? Flash Austin?? No they are not "has beens" either). These boards are small and hold mammoth power.

Yeah man I use both Directionals and Wakeboards and like both... but directionals have their place in kiteboarding....

So in answering your question....

Yes I'm into directional boards..

:mosh: :mosh: :mosh: :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:25 pm

you can get a brand new stonker directional board for quite cheap, they are all end of line boards
http://www.stonkerboards.com/shop/category19_1.htm

could even end up being cheaper than a second hand board.

slashy
Medium Poster

Postby slashy » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:44 pm

get the starboard, you will not be disappointed.
I am not affiliated in any way to one off the brands mentioned, but this is the most performant board in your choice. and will be as easy or easier than the other boards.

(hide it from your dad on waveriding days :-), and get on it yourself)

Hogworts
Rare Poster

directionals

Postby Hogworts » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:49 pm

I learnt on a 6'6 starboard very good board and lots of fun being able to jibe is cool and takes some skill :thumb:

Shamikaze
Medium Poster

Postby Shamikaze » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:09 pm

I'm currently riding on D'light Mutant 150*42.

Perfect for all wind-conditions....

Get's you going early, does keep you where you want in high winds, perfect for wave-riding (as far as my skill's reach on this though...)...

And because of the fin's you get get easier upwind, jump higher (load up the fin's as well with pressure to hold you edge down as long as possible).

Some guys in our club owned a 160 Airush directional. they got going very very early and the board ('cause of the fine tali and sharp edges) was very controllable when things got rougher...

GReetz & have fun out there...

S.

nir_
Frequent Poster

Postby nir_ » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:36 pm

hello world,

i'm into directionals! - & i think its the right way to ride

i've used to ride on a wipika-olry TT, but now i'm riding my 2 straps airush 152 directional - and lovin' every minute on it.
the board feels and steers much more natural on the water -edges like hell,
gives much more upwind capabilities, jumps/lands smoother - and riding through/with waves is a blast .
mastering jibes on a small, 2 straps directional is chalanging - but once you're there - there is no replacement.

coming from snowboarding - i thought at the begining that a bi-dir will be more natural for me - but, for my surprise - it was the small directional - that gave me that deep-snow-like wonderfull riding style feeling- where your board-nose is way up in the air - front foot extended way up there, and back foot pushing down - cound'nt crank that feeling from my olry...

anyways - i recommend this to anyone - not just your dad.....

have a blast,
nir

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:09 am

Yeah man directionals rock...

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:12 am

"BLOWN AWAY" wrote:
Yeah man directionals rock...
Absolutely. Especially if you're a surfer, windsurfer (planing out of carving jibes), or powder/carving snowboarder.

JayEl
Rare Poster

Postby JayEl » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:48 am

Depends what you want.

I think what your dad needs is a board that he can ride without being too much powered. In that case, he needs a big directional, like the very old ones (2 meter something).
It is for sure that he will outgrow this board very fast (one week or so), but it will help hom to get the feeling on a board. So I would say: just buy a cheap board like this and he will love it. Just take his kite much smaller than your kite on a TT. Remember that in the days of a directional, the biggest kite size was an 11,5 m2...

On holiday in Leucate, I saw many directionals fot 60 EUR in the shops...

JL

Return to “Kitesurfing”