SS FUEL 03 13sqm - pros and contras

forum for kitesurfers

eutanator
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

SS FUEL 03 13sqm - pros and contras

Postby eutanator » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:08 pm

I'm considering to buy this kite. I'm not loving SS brand because of they skaty style, but... If it's good it's the most important issue.

OK I'm 75kg, intermediate skills, runing on TT 160 (want to change for s. shorter). In my quiver I have R2 16 and old Wipi (which I want to change for s. new).

THX for all opinnions (esp. from people who tried this kite) :P

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster

Postby WILCO » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:58 pm

Hi,

First of all what the f*ck do you care about a brand's image, just read tests, know what you want and choose whatever suits you best. (I'm coming from windsurfing and aint a punk boy either)

I just bought one (SS fuel 2003 13m), received it two day's ago.

Flown it yesterday in marginal conditions (8 knots average gusts of 11 knots), so I can't really comment on the performance, since I didn't fly it for any longer than an hour or two...

What I can say, is that it's build to last, thick rubber protection pads everywhere, stiff and strong tips (with battens..). It has 6 attachment points (3 in the front and 3 at the back), but I've only used the outer settings so far, so I can't really comment on the differences between them...

From the minimal experience I got with this kite yesterday, I can say it flew damn NICE!!. I think I can get going on my large TT in a steady 10 knots and they told me I should be able to hold it down to at least 20 knots on my small board (don't know if it's really true since I didn't test it). Ooh BTW I'm only 60 kg's so the windrange will be quite different for you...

It is a very fast turning kite (even looped the kite twice yesterday), and that's great for milking the wind (sining). It also fly's fairly quick, so I got good apparent wind speed, on which I could get going. The bar pressure is light (comparable to AeroII).....So all in all I think I'm going to have a great time with this kite, and I'm very happy with it :thumb:

Only downside I noticed (when I didn't know how to properly fly it yet): was that if you wanted to fly at max power (about equal back and front lines) in these marginal winds, it had the tendency to drift back in the powerzone (flying backwards). Once the light went on and I just depowered the thing (giving the rears some slack) It went of and it flew perfectly fine.... I think in that little wind you have to depower it a bit to give it some speed, instead of flaring it and stalling it (only in very little wind).

I am told that if she's blowing somewhat harder you can fly with equal lines for max power just fine.....(but haven't test it yet so can't say if it's true or not, but I do think so......)

Hope this helps making up your mind!

Good luck :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:07 pm

Hi WIlco,

reading this you should make your back lines a bit longer so it doesn't fly backwards when you want full power.

Greets
Toby

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Foxi » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:26 pm

I´ve 11,13 and 17 in my quiver ! With 80 kg rider weight, fun (jumping!!)with size 13 starts at 14 kts. It´s a great kite as long as you´re not flying in gusty conditions at its low end as it tends to stall. I guess 2004s will improve dramatically in this regard as I´ve read they got much lighter with thinner tubes. You´ve to be carefull not to get it too low in the window, its weight will pull it into the dip. In optimum conditions it´s pure fun and depower is even better than I had expected ! Forget 10 kts - my wife weighs 55 kg and won´t leave the beach with anything smaller than our (great) 17 in those conditions !

aloha

Jürgen

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster

Postby WILCO » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:02 pm

If I could afford a 17 to go with it too, hell yeah I would take that one in really lightwind, but as a single kite the 13 has a amazing low-end.....

Toby.....I'm still fine tuning the line lengths (still waiting for some wind)

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:04 pm

Buy it and ride it. You won't regret it at all.
Ride what you like and like what you ride. :thumb: :thumb:

eutanator
Frequent Poster

Postby eutanator » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:11 am

Thank you all for this tips. Sounds great. I found for me just one important weakness - that it has tendency to fall in lighter, unstable winds, but if I understand good it can happen only in wind under 14k. So to this wind force I can ride on my Rhino2 16 (never tested high end but it seems to). What I see is that this kite has very high high end what is for me a great asset. I saw on forum someone wrote (85kg) he can stand on it till 30k and 35k makes him a Lipton (teabaging). So I collect the money and go to hair dresser to prepare some more punky friz. :thumb:

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster

Postby WILCO » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:00 am

I found for me just one important weakness - that it has tendency to fall in lighter, unstable winds, but if I understand good it can happen only in wind under 14k
Actually It stands stable in the sky from a steady 10 knots.....

I've flown it in winds sometimes dropping to 6-7 knots in the lulls and about 10 knots max in gusts. I can tell you that it get the tendecy to drop in the very low stuff (7-8 knots), but I didn't fell once I could always recover it, while other kites around me also dropped from the sky like bricks (AeroII-14m and AeroI ..m). So I think most kites drop in those lite conditions anyway (except maybe the new special lightwind guns Phoenix, Mamoot and the foils offcourse), but above 8 knots and it fly's just fine, no problems whatsoever. And as you say you won't use it earlier anyway cause it's too small. So concluding: It's just a great kite, you'll be happy with it!

Good luck :thumb:

ralph
Rare Poster

Postby ralph » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:55 am

My experience with SS Fuel 2003 is different. I tried a 11m in optimum condition. It felt slow compared to the Skoop2 I am flying usually. SS' upwind performance is quite poor. In lighter winds it tends to fly backwards and sometimes stalls - I agree with the other guys.

Alltogether a very well manufactured kite with lot's of detials for protection. I would recommend it for beginners up to i ntermediate kiter - but for advanced guys who like to fly high and rip hard there are better kites out there! And the original bar-setup with this oldfashioned safety (you actually cannot call it a safety: handleash on backline!) is absolutely crap. Wake up, Slingshot, this is years behind the other brands!

SS lovers might be angry now - but this is my personal experience with the kite. Best thing to chose a kite is trying them out in good conditions and go for the one you like the best.

Take care,

Ralph

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Foxi » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:25 am

Hi Ralph,

Skoop2 must be REALLY fast, as Fuel 11 is MUCH faster than Fuel 13 if I compare within my Quiver - is it flight speed or turning speed you´re talking about ? Or both ?
Problem with stability is more for less experienced riders because as soon as you know the Fuels and its "donts" you can mostly avoid it. Overhead stability hands-off the bar is tremendously better on Takoons as I could repeatedly watch on our local beach with very gusty lauch area. To be honest, I would have assumed the lower AR of the Fuels to be less prone to stalls than the smaller ones of the Takoons as air flow should be less sensitive - but actually the contrary is the case, for whatever reasons !

aloha

Jürgen

Return to “Kitesurfing”