Over-Amped or what?

forum for kitesurfers

Aki
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Over-Amped or what?

Postby Aki » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:00 pm

I've been using the AMP 11.9 and 8.7 with a WT 142 (w/ 5cm Tarifa fins on the heelside) for a few months now but find that the 11.9 in particular generates too much lateral force in gusts for my weight. I'm just under 70kg and find it really hard work to hold the rail. (Note: I used to sail the Airblast) I'm not really very impressed by the windrange compared to the Airblast. :(

Mates of mine (who are heavier) don't seem to find it a problem.

Options:
1. Change to less grunty kites e.g Takoon.

2. Get a smaller perhaps more flexible board that dumps the power a bit/holds its edge better.

3. Shorten the lines on the 11.9 making it faster and perhaps a little less powerful.

4. Learn how to kitesurf properly.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Aki

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:03 pm

Do like i did..

Get a high ar kite, that dont have a lot off pull, and lots off depower..

(Pull is gut, in low winds.. :thumb: Like a AMP-R2 :thumb: )

Like the F-one marc2, or Naish X3..They have alot off depower...

rb_stretch
Medium Poster

Postby rb_stretch » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:03 pm

That is the nature of Amps. I also came from Airblasts and struggled at first (well actually still struggling a bit).

Apparently it just takes a while to really get used to the power after coming from a low power kite such as the AB.

RB

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Over-Amped or what?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:18 pm

Aki wrote:I've been using the AMP 11.9 and 8.7 with a WT 142 (w/ 5cm Tarifa fins on the heelside) for a few months now but find that the 11.9 in particular generates too much lateral force in gusts for my weight. I'm just under 70kg and find it really hard work to hold the rail. (Note: I used to sail the Airblast) I'm not really very impressed by the windrange compared to the Airblast. :(

Mates of mine (who are heavier) don't seem to find it a problem.

Options:
1. Change to less grunty kites e.g Takoon.

2. Get a smaller perhaps more flexible board that dumps the power a bit/holds its edge better.

3. Shorten the lines on the 11.9 making it faster and perhaps a little less powerful.

4. Learn how to kitesurf properly.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Aki
Either get used to it, or change to rangeful kites like Takoon, or Airblast again, or X3.

But you could also keep your 11.9 as your light wind kite (more low end than others), and get more rangeful kites for the smaller ones, how about that ?

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:28 pm

I agree with the other posters. AMPs are low to mid range kites. If you weigh 100 kg like me, you can hold them but they dont particularly like it as the AB did.

Just a differeent mind set will help. Understand these are not your AB's . Its not a bad thing considering most of the time the you need extra grunt to get going. The real problem is fitting one in a quiver. You may develop a "quiver hole" if you think they are going to match perfectly with the AB line. If its at the 11.9 to 8.4 jump, you may need to work your 8.4 more to make it all work if your light.
One big guy opinion.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:21 pm

I've seen the a smaller Amp in nukin wind and was impressed, really high jumps, super stable and great hangtime, I've seen the big amp in lightwind and was impressed, decent upwind, enough lift for jumps and turns fast enough for a big kite.
I've seen 2 x 11.9s and I wasn't impressed by either, they don't seem to start early imo or go upwind at all until almost every other 16m kite is rockin.

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:01 pm

For me(65kg) it's the other way around.

I LOVE the AMP11.9. It has a huge range. Measured range 8-22 knots!
Not more then often it's the first kite that gets going and boost high :thumb: (light winds SS SX141,,,,stronger winds SS Misty137)

With the smaller AMP's, yes I miss depower. I take a smaller size earlier. For me the AMP8.7 and 7.1 do not have a huge range as the AMP11.9.
For real strong winds an Hydro5 2002 is excellent in depower.

My mate weighs about 75kg and finds depower of the AMP's excellent also the smaller sizes. So only 10kg makes a big difference in the smaller sizes.

So option 2 and perhaps 4.
Grab a board that can hold an edge and you should be fine for the AMP11.9. For the smaller sizes perhaps a less grunty kite is better.
For now I'd say that in 2004 I will keep my AMP11.9(16.2 flat) and get less grunty kites in size 12 and smaller. Also for my feel of safety. I can hold the smaller AMP's quit long but I do not feel safe then. No margin for error except for using the leash...
Last edited by Sake on Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aki
Rare Poster

Postby Aki » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:07 pm

Thanks for your replies. :D

So what do you think about my changing to a smaller board? OR a different design that holds more wind? I've heard that boards with more flex help the lighter folk to hold more kite. Apparently boards with a narrow (as opposed to a wide square tail) are also good for holding lots of power although you may lose some pop. ...the wipika edge and radical custom boards fall in that category.

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:14 pm

The edge 142 (Catman Pro) can hold an edge VERY good, but IMO too small for gusty conditions. I like a (little bit wider) SS Zeppelin or Misty better.

You only feel overAMPed on the water or also on land?

Aki
Rare Poster

Postby Aki » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:15 pm

Sake,
I read in a previous post that you shortened your lines on your 8.7 AMP. Did you do the same with your 11.9 to reduce the power and increase the speed? :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”