Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

MY RHINO II POPPED TOO

forum for kitesurfers

MY RHINO II POPPED TOO

Postby Guest » Tue May 25, 2004 1:17 pm

I WAS GETTING READY TO SELF-LAUNCH MY RHINO II 20 LAST NIGHT AND THE LEADING EDGE SEAM BLEW OUT SITTING ON THE BEACH. I LOVED THE KITE AND WAS GOING TO SEND IT TO AIRTIME FOR REPAIR. I JUST NOTICED THE EXPLODING RHINO THREAD THIS MORNING, SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM FOR MORE THAN A FEW. INSTEAD OF SPENDING MONEY ON A REPAIR THAT PROBABLY WON'T LAST I'LL JUST SAVE FOR A NEW KITE. AFTER BEING DISAPPOINTED WITH MY TORO II PURCHASE LAST SPRING (CRAPPY KITE) I'M ALSO THROUGH WITH NORTH. BILL FT MYERS BCH FL

Fabjet1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Fabjet1 » Tue May 25, 2004 1:22 pm

That shows you that even the better constructed kites fail like the others.

Save your $ get a Best.

Fabjet.

KitekidGA
Rare Poster

rhino II

Postby KitekidGA » Tue May 25, 2004 1:31 pm

Bill,
Sorry to hear about your you bad experience with north kites. I am interested in buying the 20m Rhino II from you if you are willing ot sell it. Please e-mail me at Ethiopia103@aol.com. Thanks.

Dutchie
Medium Poster

Group up

Postby Dutchie » Tue May 25, 2004 2:24 pm

Seeing all the stories,

Maybe an idea, to group up and start talking to North as a group.. see if you can came to a agreement...Understanding that it's a big problem for everybody, you can't fly and North is losing his good brand name...(even when it happens out side the warranty) if you have got 12 months warranty and it snaps in the 13 month it still is bad business.

If somebody of the group makes 1 phone call and get name and e-mail adress and says that you will posted here so that everybody who has a problem can sent a "complaint" e-mail. Or put 1 frontman up and let him talk to North.. representing 10 or 20 people make you stronger then a individual.. I think you will get a better deal and also feedback from " :lol: or :cry: " users is important for R&D and help North restoring his name

North can see how big the problem is and work on a solution with you?

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Tue May 25, 2004 3:13 pm

what colour is your leading edge and how hard was it pumped, and what was the air temperature??

nEwSkIn
Frequent Poster

Postby nEwSkIn » Tue May 25, 2004 3:23 pm

Do these bursts occurr only in new kites, or also very used ones?

thanx

Ivo.
Rare Poster

Postby Ivo. » Tue May 25, 2004 4:35 pm

The 5th Element will protect your kite! With the 5th element your kite won't be "folded" open on the beach. I assume that "folding" your kite open is bad for your kite.

But how do you self-start your north kite with the 5th element?

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Tue May 25, 2004 5:13 pm

Bill, before you ditch the kite talk to North about warranty and helping with repair costs. If you want to send me private email and give details I might be able to help, no guarantees but I'll investigate possible solutions. :thumb:

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Tue May 25, 2004 5:39 pm

its a relatively simple problem, you pump the kite up curved, then you flatten it out decreasing the volume and putting huge pressure on the seams, the air pressure simply finds the weakest point in the seam, generally near the thicker part of the kite as the stitching is put under most load at the bend and hey presto it pops.

the harder you pump the more likely it is too happen, older kites with wider leading edges are more likely to fail as are older kites that have been used a lot.

a thinner leading edge would go a long way to reducing this risk as would not having a seam on the underside of the leading edge, ie facing downwards when flying, not sure if the rhino has, but with the leading edge bent this would be under huge pressure along the stitching.

to be honest i'm surprised we dont here of more large kites with over enthusiastic owners with pumps splitting, i guess this is in some way a reflection of the success of the 20m rhino sales, that it appears on the radar at all.

nEwSkIn
Frequent Poster

Postby nEwSkIn » Tue May 25, 2004 6:09 pm

a thinner leading edge would go a long way to reducing this risk
The best advantage :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”