Guerilla 2 sizes V LEI

forum for kitesurfers

Japers
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Guerilla 2 sizes V LEI

Postby Japers » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:14 am

Have currently got a quiver of 9m CO2 (2003) and 12m Aero 2. Due to travelling am toying with the idea of swapping my quiver to Guerilla 2s. In due course (read: money permitting!) I'm tempted by both the 9m and the 13m.

I can only afford one for the time being and for practical reasons would like to replace the Aero 2 first. Have searched at length but couldn't find any figures re windspeeds on the web or on the PL website. Would the 13m Guerilla 2 be a good/equivalent swap?

Thanks

jp

oli
Medium Poster

Postby oli » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:32 am

There is a wind range calculator at http://www.gobigkahuna.com/guerilla_ii_ ... ulator.php

From what I've seen, when I ride with my G2 13 most of LEI's I see are 12
or 14.
So I would answer yes to your question...

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:50 pm

the 13 seems to adequate perfectly to your request.

The aero is a little more manoeuvrable than the guerilla2, but the guerilla2 13m will jump higher (a lot), and you will hold your kite at the same high wind, so around 27 knot for 65kg.

Japers
Rare Poster

Postby Japers » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:09 pm

Great, thanks for helping me out! Will give it a little more thought but hopefully I will act impusively and buy it!!

jp

BigKahuna
Frequent Poster

Postby BigKahuna » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:22 pm

Hi JP,

The Guerillas (and the GII) tend to fly best at the top half of their wind range. The GII has improved bottom end over the 2003 G's, so I'd agree with Oli and say get the GII 13m to replace your LEI 12.

As for the LEI 9m, I'd consider the GII 11m. The GII 9m is really a -high wind- kite. I don't know what your weight is or the wind conditions you want to use the kite in, but I'm guessing the GII 11m will cover your needs.

One other thought: since both your LEI's are low to medium aspect ratio kites, if you wanted similar performance in an Arc, the Bomba is also an option. The Bomba, although marketed as an "intermediate level" kite, is also a -really- nice kite, and -GREAT- in waves. The GII will give you bigger/floatier jumps.

All the best,

Paul

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:03 pm

BigKahuna wrote:Hi JP,

The Guerillas (and the GII) tend to fly best at the top half of their wind range. The GII has improved bottom end over the 2003 G's, so I'd agree with Oli and say get the GII 13m to replace your LEI 12.

As for the LEI 9m, I'd consider the GII 11m. The GII 9m is really a -high wind- kite. I don't know what your weight is or the wind conditions you want to use the kite in, but I'm guessing the GII 11m will cover your needs.

One other thought: since both your LEI's are low to medium aspect ratio kites, if you wanted similar performance in an Arc, the Bomba is also an option. The Bomba, although marketed as an "intermediate level" kite, is also a -really- nice kite, and -GREAT- in waves. The GII will give you bigger/floatier jumps.

All the best,

Paul
I have both lei and g2 (and a couple of bombas)

I agree with what paul said. the g2 13 will replace your 12 nicely and the g2 11 your 9. Personally I don`t care for the bombas (maybe only because I have not had a great session on them). The g2`s are great kites. I too travel a lot and that is why I bought them. At home I ride my tubes. But for travelling you can`t beat the size that the g`s pack up to. Much less gear to take along.

Mark

BTW, the g2 15 is great also.

I have a 13 and 15 bomba for sale cheap if interested.

fourperf@adelphia.net

Japers
Rare Poster

Postby Japers » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:44 pm

Thanks Paul, I weigh 64kg so am rather light... I was hoping to build a quiver of 3 kites (+ maybe a second board) which could take me out in almost any conditions.

I have had a few days this year where I wasn't able to go out because even my 9m CO2 was too big :cry: , so I would like to base my quiver to start on the best size I can find for high winds. Hence I was thinking the 9m. Maybe I should eat more pies, it would be cheaper!

The Bomba route is quite interesting though - as high wind kite I would actually prefer a lower profile. From your website calculator the B8.5m seems to have a higher top end range than the G2-9m. I have been considering buying a 6/7m LEI but if a small Bomba/G2 can do it then I prefer that route! Do you think the B8.5 would allow me out in much stronger winds than my 9m CO2?

I can see where this thread is heading - I am now going to end up buying 2 kites instead of one and that's just the beginning! I knew I shouldn't have asked!! :lol:

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:49 pm

Hi Japers.
You might consider the 13G2 and the nine G2. The nine is a good high wind kite with more bottom end than the old 10 G. This will get you up and going and cover a nice range in concert with the 13 G. Most of the guys who have bought the 11 from me end up getting the nine as they think the 11 has more power than they expected. I personally really like the bombas as it is such a nice snappy, wave kite. The 13 bomba has a bit less bottom end than the 13 G but a better top end and the turning for waves is a huge plus. Super stable, etc. For bomba it would be a 13 B and a 10.5 B or 8.5 B. The new 8.5 has more bottom end than the old 10 G as well. Comes down to your weight, board size and local winds there of course.
All the best.
Traig
MonkeyAir.com :thumb:

Japers
Rare Poster

Postby Japers » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:56 pm

Mark - that is exactly the reason I am going the Arc/Foil way. Looks like I'll be travelling to some fairly remote places (read: remote from a kiteshop) so need something light, compact and easy to repair... Interesting that you keep your LEIs for back home though.

Desperately trying to keep my travel quiver to 3 kites but it's not looking good! Oh well...

Cheers

jp

BigKahuna
Frequent Poster

Postby BigKahuna » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:01 pm

Hey JP,
Desperately trying to keep my travel quiver to 3 kites but it's not looking good! Oh well...
Sure you can! At your weight either the GII 9, 11, 13 or Bomba 8.5, 11.5, 13 will do. Take two bars: one with 30m lines, another with 2 sets of 20m lines (so you can use it as either 40m or 20m) and you're good for nearly any wind condition. A 9m GII on 20m lines should get you out when it's nukin' and a 13m on 40m lines when it's light. You'd be surprised how big a difference line length makes. Endless possibilities...

If you want to really go nutz, bring a set of 5m lines so you can stack two kites (there are a couple of guys here that stack arcs -all the time-). A Bomba 11.5/13 stack would be a killer lightwind solution (24.5m!) (Be careful though, stacking kites is -not- for beginning arc fliers).

Best place for more specific advice is the Yahoo Arcusers Group, that's where Traig and the rest of the gang hang out...

Paul

Return to “Kitesurfing”