KiteSurfing Vs. SkyDiving

forum for kitesurfers

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

KiteSurfing Vs. SkyDiving

Postby Blow Me » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:44 am

Hey All.

I came across someobody last week at our local spot (cool guy) however he said something that I disagree with. He stated that SkyDiving is More Dangerous then KiteSurfing.

I really disagree with this. With Skydiving there really aren't that many things that can go wrong. Pretty much if your chute is fuc*ed, you cutaway, and open your reserve (now I can't remember the Percentage on this, but is something like 98/99percent guaranteed to open). There are only a few other factors that come into play with skydiving that can go wrong. (depending on if you do formation diving, and what not which increases the danger, because of diving with others that have potential for error, or mistakes). Basically though, there just isn't that much that can go wrong with skydiving. I have heard of people who caught the thermal that collapsed their chute (forgot wht it is called).

But on the flipside, Kiting has so many more factors into play that IMO makeit much more dangerous then SkyDiving. The Wind, Gusts, Lofting, the lines, the lines crossing with other lines, the water, there are just too many to list.

So My question to all of you is what do you think? Is SkyDiving more Dangerous then KiteSurfing?

I would say that SkyDiving is Safer then KiteSurfing.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:36 am

Skydiving has much less accidents than kitesurfing, and there are not that many things you can do wrong (like in kitesurfing).

So in that sense you are right, skydiving is "safer" than kitesurfing.

But - when it goes wrong, you can be dead meat in skydiving - whereas the chances of survival is bigger in kitesurfing.

Almost like riding a jumbojet - it is safer than any other transportation, no doubt.
But if it goes wrong, you are history (but the chances are almost zero).

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:39 am

Wrong Question !

Question must be: is a sport in its infant stage more dangerous than a sport that is evolved - the answer is always YES.

Skydiving in its actual form has been practiced since the 70's, skydiving in general since the 1930's Kitesurfing in its present form has been practised since the late 90's so there is a lot to learn in kitesurfing.....

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:51 am

true guest.

However, there are still more risks, and a higher factor for injury/death with KiteSurfing the SkyDiving....just because of all the elements going on.

I totally agree with Peter, there is less that can go wrong with skydiving, but when sh!t does go wrong, your gonna pay the price.

vp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Gear: Ozone Reo 10, 12
Best TS 8, 10
Slingshot Celeritas 5'8 Woodie
Crazy Fly Raptor Pro 137
Ocean Rodeo Soul Drysuit
Neil Pryde Eclipse 5/4/3 Wetsuit
Mystic Majestic harness
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Postby vp » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:51 am

there are many things that can go wrong with skidiving that you didnt mentioned.. what about breaking to early or too late during landing? - it is soo easy to break your leg this way... what about getting a gust of wind right before landing that blows you into trees?... what about hitting another airplane (swear to god that happens... :) a friend of mine came 3 seconds from hitting a plane flying by right underneath him.. and i heard some accual story of a guy dieing this way )
anyway.. it still takes more balls to jump out of a plane then to kitesurf.
but kitesurfing is more fun - i think.

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:56 am

it still takes more balls to jump out of a plane then to kitesurf.
Seriously, I don't know. I have been skydiving 3 times (and it is on my list of 'things to do' this year to get certified) In all honestly yeah, it takes balls to jump out of an airplane, but it seriously takes balls to fly one of these kites. They ain't no joke Man! They are strong, and when your A$$ is attached to basically a kite as strong as a boat, its intense to say the least.

Your right, there are more things then I stated that can go wrong with SkyDiving, but there are just heaps more that can go wrong with KiteSurfing. Especially on Croweded beaches.

vp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Gear: Ozone Reo 10, 12
Best TS 8, 10
Slingshot Celeritas 5'8 Woodie
Crazy Fly Raptor Pro 137
Ocean Rodeo Soul Drysuit
Neil Pryde Eclipse 5/4/3 Wetsuit
Mystic Majestic harness
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Postby vp » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:13 am

if you look at the pure numbers, then i guess driving is the most dangerous thing to do. :D
also, what i like about the kitesurfing danger, is that if you're smart and careful about it, there arent that many unexpected things that can go wrong from which you're not protected. If you dont go to a crowed beach, if you check the weather forcast, if you dont kite too overpowered, if you launch and land in safe places, if you wear a leash, if you have a good safety system (good snap shakle plus another one of those bar safety systems), if you wear a helmet, and of coarse if you are a good kitesurfer - chances of you getting hurt are very slim.. in skidiving, however, no matter what you do, there is still that chance of a shute not opening or getting tangled or some other shit.. and you cant really do much about it..

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:17 am

Yes, Driving is absolutely very dangerous, without a doubt.

As KiteSurfing Vs. Skydiving though. You have some valid points, but as I stated above, the chances of your Reserve chute not opening are next to none (I'm waiting for a SkyDiver/KiteSurfer on this forum to give me that stats on this). I still feel though, that the dangers involved with KiteSurfing, by Far outweighs the Dangers involved with SkyDiving.

Vega
Medium Poster

Postby Vega » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:13 pm

Peter almost covered it. You can't compare, wich is safer!
U can't use the statistics to say that one is more dangorous than the other, it depends a lot about how yu ride/dive. And how to measure broken bodyparts to be killed?

But what makes me wonder is, who cares? I don't kitesurf to walk around telling people - hey my sport is more dangerous than yours - and I donøt care if somebody tells me that it's more dangorous than their sport.

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:29 pm

thanks vega for the wonderful first post.

After all though, we are on a 'KiteSurfing' Forum, and we are all open to asking, and responding to questions in regards to KiteSurfing, and its relations.

If you have a problem with my asking in representation to skydivng, and which is safer, please do not respond with such degragatory, and insuficient efforts in trying to disrepect my inquisitions.

I know that there are SkyDivers on this forum, who KiteSurf as well, and I am clearly just trying to bring a point to justice about somebody whom I met last week at our beach...Out of My 'Own Curiosity' of Course. If You dont' have anything significant to input on my post, then do not reply at all.

ThanX.

Return to “Kitesurfing”