Schumacher
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Water relaunch

Postby Schumacher » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:12 am

I have low-aspect ratio kite: SS GTO 13

when it fall into water upside down it very hard to relaunch it, because I can't jump to the kite in order to put him upside. The kite blowned by the wind drags me faster when I can swim to him.

If I take the front lines and start pulling it up to 1-2 meters and when throw them back, will it help me to put the kite wingtips up? Is it safe?

Also sometimes when it falls to the water, it looses the air, may be I shoudn't pump the kite too hard?

And also the question from newbie: The depower string doesn't work, when I ride? I mean, that I have the same power as with not depowered kite?

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteKarl » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:58 am

The GTO is very low aspect and therefore easy to relaunch with the right technique. Like you said, pull in a meter or two of your leading edge lines and as soon as you let them go, swim fast towards the kite. When the tips flip up, pull one side of your bar towards you and the kite will steer to the side and relaunch. When you swim towards the kite you may want to swim on one side of your lines to avoid getting tangled in them. This technique also auto steers the kite to relaunch.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:30 pm

The GTO is super easy to realunch with a little practice. If you can't swim fast enough, try 2 different things.

1st...take your bar in one hand and pull the bar over your shoulder. With your free hand, grab the lines as close to the kite as you can reach and pull those over the other shoulder. Now you will have between 4-5 feet of lines depending on how long your arms are. Release the lines and the kite should flip over. If not, try again. Be very careful though to make sure you know where your lines are before you release them so you don't get tangled.

2nd way...if it's really windy for the kite size, you can almost autorelaunch the kite while hooked in to the ckicken loop. Just point one side of the bar towards the kite and it may flip on it's side. Once it's on it's side, push the bar away and the kite will accelerate and launch you hot in the power zone. This is a more advanced way, but cool once you ge the hand of it especailly if you still have the board on the feet. Hope this helps.

Don't give up on this kite. It's a great kite.

Schumacher
Rare Poster

Postby Schumacher » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:32 pm

toyletbowl wrote:The GTO is super easy to realunch with a little practice. If you can't swim fast enough, try 2 different things.

1st...take your bar in one hand and pull the bar over your shoulder. With your free hand, grab the lines as close to the kite as you can reach and pull those over the other shoulder. Now you will have between 4-5 feet of lines depending on how long your arms are. Release the lines and the kite should flip over. If not, try again. Be very careful though to make sure you know where your lines are before you release them so you don't get tangled.

2nd way...if it's really windy for the kite size, you can almost autorelaunch the kite while hooked in to the ckicken loop. Just point one side of the bar towards the kite and it may flip on it's side. Once it's on it's side, push the bar away and the kite will accelerate and launch you hot in the power zone. This is a more advanced way, but cool once you ge the hand of it especailly if you still have the board on the feet. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your response!

Can GTO 13 work in 25+ conditions? We have 22 knots with gusts up to 26 and I feel to much overpowered. Going crazy, but very hard to stay upwind. Can depower helps? I mean, will kite pull less, if I'm complete depower it? I can't feel the difference between full powered/depowered

lucifer
Medium Poster

Postby lucifer » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:40 pm

Schumacher wrote:
toyletbowl wrote:The GTO is super easy to realunch with a little practice. If you can't swim fast enough, try 2 different things.

Can GTO 13 work in 25+ conditions? We have 22 knots with gusts up to 26 and I feel to much overpowered. Going crazy, but very hard to stay upwind. Can depower helps? I mean, will kite pull less, if I'm complete depower it? I can't feel the difference between full powered/depowered
sounds like you are at the top of its windrange for sure. How much do you weigh?

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:09 pm

lucifer wrote:
Schumacher wrote:

sounds like you are at the top of its windrange for sure. How much do you weigh?
Agree 100%. Over 25 is too much for that size unless it's 25-26mph. Just kidding of course. Unless you're fully depowered at the kite and super strong and have a narrow board. Then, maybe, but that kite is typically a 15-25 or so....

Schumacher
Rare Poster

Postby Schumacher » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:36 am

toyletbowl wrote:
lucifer wrote:
Schumacher wrote: Thank you very much for your response!

Agree 100%. Over 25 is too much for that size unless it's 25-26mph. Just kidding of course. Unless you're fully depowered at the kite and super strong and have a narrow board. Then, maybe, but that kite is typically a 15-25 or so....
My weight is 80 kg. The board is 156 cm. Also I have different attachment points at kite, may be if I change the connection points it will help in strong winds?

N_M
Rare Poster

Postby N_M » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:51 am

Your leading edge bladder must be fully pumped also. There can be a huge difference in water launching a soft bladder and a rock hard one.
/Niel

powerkiteaddict
Very Frequent Poster

Postby powerkiteaddict » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:15 am

Sounds like you need some lessons and hands on demonstrated advice. The internet is a good starting place-but the advice is worth what you're paying for it.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby toyletbowl » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:01 pm

Schu...your board is also guite big and will only make that kite seem bigger in stronger winds. Again, if you had a small and narrow board, those winds may be Ok if you have a lot of experience.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”