forum for kitesurfers

Ocean Lover
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

remember when...

Postby Ocean Lover » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:23 am

remember when..

you no longer worried about screwing up the line setup because you figured out a fool proof rigging system and you got to know your equipment.

the first time you felt like you controlled the kite instead of the kite controlling you.

you could hold and edge and get upwind from your launch instead of flailing downwind and having to walk back.

you no longer feared catching the front edge of the board.

you figured out how to sine the kite so that you could stay powered through the lulls.

you learned how to move the kite to the edge of the window and stomp the tail when a gust hit.

you actually wished it was blowing harder instead of praying that it would be gentle.

you had no fear of losing your board because you knew you could body drag anywhere you needed to go.

you were able to look down and enjoy watching the board turn on the waves and ride them out instead of staring up and straining to keep the kite flying in the right direction.

you could point to board down wind as you turned the kite down into the zone and locked in for a teeth chattering speed run.

you could reach out to the windward side and let your hands play across water zipping by.

you tried to turn the kite hard against your forward motion and felt the lift for a brief moment of floaty bliss.

you felt in control when, after 5 hours of pure play, you came back to the launch to drop the kite and call it a beautiful day.

after paying my dues to the kite gods for about a week i reached these milestones in one perfect session just yesterday.

sweeeeeeeet.javascript:emoticon(':D')

big thanks to this forum for all the tips, tricks, techniques, safety lessons, and laughs!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:27 am

good to hear you are having lots of fun.
Now comes the jumping part and you will be even more excited!!!

Enjoy
Toby

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:33 am

Great stuff, that magic day when it all clicks into place is a truly memorable one
:thumb:

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:13 pm

ahh yes....and now the fun starts.

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:20 am

The beginning of the tale
the purest, greatest high
swore there was nothing better
just wanted the learn to fly

I remember those days
very heady stuff
kept me coming back
could never get enough

The rushes will be sweet
and adrenaline in a flood
theres no hope for you
my brethren
cause now its in your blood!

Welcome :thumb:

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:54 am

Reminds me of my first session.
Controling so much power in the air was just too much (wipika classic 2 line).
Nico

GreenPat
Frequent Poster

Postby GreenPat » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:27 pm

Remember when...

you thought you had it all sussed out... and then...

Your body is so exhausted you can't hold an edge and blow downwind all afternoon

your eyes sting from the spray

you've got grazes all over from dragging on the sand, chafe from your harness not to mention between your legs from the boardies

you put down to change your line setup as the wind picks up then get your lines tangled, even though you've done it a thousand times before

the wind is gusty near shore and as you stand there trying to relax for a short break you keep getting jerks on the lines that seem like they're going to tear your exhausted body in half

your neck has an awful crick in it from shaking the hair out of your eyes all week

your harness tears in half and your kite ends up in the trees

you lose the board after a stack in the surf, almost get it back and miss it by a centimetre before a swell washes you 5 metres away again

you go in to get your board leash after doing the above ten times, put your kite down (alone), it flips over and your lines get all tangled up again.

You're just starting to get in the groove and the wind dies for the day. And you're 300 metres from shore and can't even get enough power to get out of the water to ride in.

You go home, have a beer, and go do it all again tomorrow.

Return to “Kitesurfing”