Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

is the 5th element worth it?

forum for kitesurfers

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

is the 5th element worth it?

Postby tweekster » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 am

i saw a guy from the UK selling a unit on ebay for over $300 USD. seems like for that kind of money you're better off learning how to relaunch your kite instead. no?

Sophus
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sophus » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:13 pm

If you are good at relaunching and/or don't drop the kite in the soup that often, the answer is no, it is not worth it (for that price anyway). However, if you have problems relaunching LE down, the 5E will surely be of great assistance. Only tried it about 7 hours on the water myself so far, but it works well. Also If you look to replace your lines, you midght as well go for the upgrade set instead.

Anyway, 5E will come with the 2005 Rhinos as far as I have understood. There it is supposedly necessary to brace the thin leading edge. It is not needed on any older kites, and to my experience, it does not add anything but the easy relaunching and spin free leash. North however, claims that it improves the kites response in strong winds and gusts, but I never had any problem in this respect before.

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Postby Freddy B » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:09 pm

The spinning leash is one of the nice features. The ability to unhook and have an easy relaunch/safety system is nice as well if you want to try handle passes. The recent info regarding kite performance is that it will add some stability for larger riders in certain conditions, but otherwise it is just an improved safety system and bar set for north.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor '12, 10, 7 & 5m, Flite '12 15m.
North X-Ride 129x38
Naish Custom Wave Global 5.7
Nobile Skim
Dynabar

Postby Janus » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:16 pm

Check the forum and the north site, its more then a safety system and also for the leight riders additional stability and more range.
oh and yes i think its worth it.
Arjan

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Postby Freddy B » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:22 pm

Janus,

Do you have it? I have recently recieved mine and will do a review on kite-surf.com as soon as wind permits me trying it out. If you have spent any time on it, I'd like to hear a review.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
North X-Ride 129x38
Nobile Skim
Dynabar

Postby Janus » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:06 pm

@Dank:
Yes i have it and tried it on my 16 and 12.
the session on the 12 was really good, high wind (sorry no measurment) depowerstrap 1cm left.... very comfort feeling with the 5th, gust (if they already were problems with R4's) no problem. Very comfort and smooth feeling. Till now best day of the year, Big smile all day!!
Still figuring out some fine tuning, once got line salad when trying the safety.. my fault not the 5th. (though a better manual could help)
Hoping for some wind friday to try it again (hopefully on my 8...)
I'll be back ;-)

Arjan

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:38 pm

Coming weeks a lot of user experience will appear, since 5th Element only just arrived in quantities. Then we will know more.

I used 5th Element only once. First impression is great.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
North X-Ride 129x38
Nobile Skim
Dynabar

Postby Janus » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:31 pm

Hi
Tried the 5th again yesterday, now on my R4 8m.
Great wind, extreme gusts could not hold it anymore.. just pull the 5 th line and you are still in control (and still planing.. pull more and all is ok) what a comfort.
Did not try the restart etc, will do that on a normal day. (an 8 restarts in high wind by looking at it so it would not be a problem..)
It gives a real safe feeling, still think its worth it.

I allready waxed the 5th line part that goes trough the bar, just like my depowerline otherwise it wears out really quickly i guess.
Problem area is the part were the depowerstrap is atached to the depowerline (i use it as a "second" lock, the first is the microloop) and there the fifth line is "crumbled" / locked between the knot and the bar and thus wearing out quickly. just got to have a spare line.

Arjan

joe f
Rare Poster

Postby joe f » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:42 pm

I have used it now about 5 times on my 16m Vegas and am lost as to how the restart works and would very much welcome any advice. I cannot find any way to get the kite to move out to one side once it is on its back (which it does very well). Once it is on its back, I can't see how you can pull it round to one side as the Y connector basically means that you are pulling both front lines together. I have had to pull A LOT of one of the rear lines to get it to move but so far (3 attempts) this has ended in disaster as it has rolled and the 5th line has wrapped round the kite.

I am sure that I am at fault but am frustrated at the lack of information in the instructions about how to relaunch. If anyone can give me an idiots guide, I would be very grateful as everything else about the set up is very nice.

My only other thought is that the red line (leash line) is wrapped around the grey one too much - could this be possible? If so, there are only so many times that you can spin before the relaunch is affected, as far as I can tell.

So far, my impression is mixed. The Vegas is an excellent kite, but I have had more fun on it using a Gaastra bar as it never dropped out of the sky and when I deliberately put it in the water, I relaunched in about 20 seconds. So far, I have put it in the water 3 times with the 5th element and swum in each time..........

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:58 pm

I used 5th element 3 times now - Rhino04 14m and 12m.

First feeling is that the kite is:

A little slower in turning (still very fast)
More hang-time
More power at depowerstrap fully open (at max-power)
Relaunch is a piece of cake. Even in non planing wind conditions.
Free spinning leash is a blessed feeling
Whole setup looks very KISS

Last time it even struck my mind:
Landing like we always did (2nd person needed to land the kite)
allready looks like "old school". Like something I did 5 years ago :wink: :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”