macca
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DIY 5th, help on BEST.

Postby macca » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:18 am

Hi
Going to set up a 5th line on my BEST kites.

At the moment running 5 lines from bar, might go North way if I like thge system.

A few probs, will I need to stich on a patch on the front LE of kite, or will pump leash do?, is it critical that the 5th leash be on the front of LE, pump leash is at the back, from center strut.

Going to run a 4mm line through the bar to a stopper then normal flying line, how long does the 4mm line need to be, arc on kite is about 4m from high point of arch to tip line, will 4m be about right.

Any info helps, Cheers.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:30 am

Hi Macca, this is what I did
Cheap 20m flying line, cheap leader long enough for stopper ball length + about 1m if I want to fly the kite, make the line as long as the other lines and use a long leader on the LE attached to the pump leash.
With the kite flying the line should be slack, with the kite on its back the stopper ball should stop the bar with the 5th and flying lines taught so it doesn't fly, fall over backwards or flatten the LE.
If you do a search there's more tips on settup and use in other threads
Great stuff
:thumb:

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteKarl » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:35 am

Just run it to the pump leash. I've done it with all my Bests all season and no signs of wear. From bar to stopper ball you'll want about 9 feet. Do some test ejections on a light day. If the kite flies in the air on the 5th then move the ball towards the bar. If it's still a little powered then move the ball towards the kite. Bigger kites need the ball further towards the kite and smaller, ball towards the bar. Better to start with the ball further towards the kite to avoid being powered on ejection.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:56 am

KiteKarl wrote:Just run it to the pump leash. I've done it with all my Bests all season and no signs of wear. From bar to stopper ball you'll want about 9 feet. Do some test ejections on a light day. If the kite flies in the air on the 5th then move the ball towards the bar. If it's still a little powered then move the ball towards the kite. Bigger kites need the ball further towards the kite and smaller, ball towards the bar. Better to start with the ball further towards the kite to avoid being powered on ejection.
Hi Karl, is there any way to check that with the kite on its back in light wind? I've set the position of the stopper ball so the kite just rests in a C shape, with the ball nearer the bar the kite sits in a flattened C with the LE crushed, with the ball further away it tends to fall over backwards and fly. With the ball in this position the tips are just a little back from vertical.
Does that sound about right to you? To me it seems like there's quite a lot of leeway like even about a 50cm zone where the kite sits ok, or does it have to be more precise?
Thanks
Jo

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteKarl » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:14 am

Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:
KiteKarl wrote:Just run it to the pump leash. I've done it with all my Bests all season and no signs of wear. From bar to stopper ball you'll want about 9 feet. Do some test ejections on a light day. If the kite flies in the air on the 5th then move the ball towards the bar. If it's still a little powered then move the ball towards the kite. Bigger kites need the ball further towards the kite and smaller, ball towards the bar. Better to start with the ball further towards the kite to avoid being powered on ejection.
Hi Karl, is there any way to check that with the kite on its back in light wind? I've set the position of the stopper ball so the kite just rests in a C shape, with the ball nearer the bar the kite sits in a flattened C with the LE crushed, with the ball further away it tends to fall over backwards and fly. With the ball in this position the tips are just a little back from vertical.
Does that sound about right to you? To me it seems like there's quite a lot of leeway like even about a 50cm zone where the kite sits ok, or does it have to be more precise?
Thanks
Jo
Yeah Jo, you're right on. Checking it on the ground works too. Just make sure there's not too little slack in the steering and power lines or else the kite will still be powered. If you fly in a place with nasty crap all over the ground it could be good to tune it to fly upside down a little. A couple of test ejections for fine tuning and yer good to go.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:19 am

Thanks man

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:51 pm

Thanks for input, Its a bit to windy this week for testing new systems, but all lines are now about right ready to fit.

Cheers

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:54 pm

macca you've seen the way that pump leash is stitched on, with a box, any serious sideways pull is real likely to tear it, it was only intended as a pump leash.

the three attachment points on the new kites are different.

Airhead
Frequent Poster

Postby Airhead » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:32 pm

I have just got news from our guy that does all our repairs and we are now able to offer a retro fit attachment to any kite for 5th line system, the price is a bit more than I would like but it will save you buying a new quiver.

If you are in the UK and would like to know more give me a call.

Best new 5th line bar coming soon

Return to “Kitesurfing”