Forum for kitesurfers
JeffD
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Boxer kites

Postby JeffD » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:49 pm

I'm looking to buy another kite as having just 1 size will be a bit frustrating and I can only afford 1 more. I currently have a Naish Boxer 14. I thought the Boxer 9 but some people think it is too small & a 10 would be better(for the 10 - 14 quiver) but the Boxer doesn't come in a 10. The wind range for these kites are big according to the websites. I'd like to stay on the same model kite cause flying different models will just suck(getting used to different performance the whole time). So what is the general opinion on these kites.
I don't think wind strength will be the problem as it will be for Langebaan (South Africa) and I weigh 83kg if that helps. I'm still pretty new to the sport and I don't want to be out in nuking conditions.

Thanks!

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:28 pm

The Boxer is a great kite.
If you already have a 14 you may prefer a 10 as your next smaller size. I have a 9 as my smaller size from my 12m and the gap is fine, but a 9 to 14 gap is pretty big. I am 75kg and my 9 is good in the highest winds I want to be kiting in. At your weight, a 10 would be the same.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

JeffD
Rare Poster

Postby JeffD » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. I just found out that the Boxer 2 comes in a 10. That will be my best option then.

DrM
Medium Poster

Postby DrM » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:22 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm a big fan of the boxer (between my wife and I we have 7 boxer I & IIs).

The Boxer II is a little heavier than the Boxer I and doesn't fly quite as well in lighter and marginal winds. The Boxer I is the perfect beginner kite IMHO. It's the most predictable and stable kite out there.

I would say my Boxer I 14m flies better than my Boxer II 16m - FWIW.

I was in exactly the same dilemma - I bought a Boxer I 14m and then a 9m - the only problem is the 9m needs a LOT of wind and there is this big jump down from a 14m to a 9m. (with no I 10m as you mentioned). So, needing very little encouragement to spend money on kiting, I bought a Boxer II 12m and 16m with the plan to sell the 14m and 9m. But it hasn't worked out that way since I still love my I 14m - so go for the Boxer II 10 or try to hang onto the 14m until you can get on the 9m. The Boxer's have super depower - you can rig it to fly on very slack back lines giving you lots of range for gusty conditions.

Cheers
Derek

Return to “Kitesurfing”