Riding Style - Underrated?

forum for kitesurfers

Dax
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Riding Style - Underrated?

Postby Dax » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:55 pm

It seems like a lot of riders focus too much on their quiver of tricks then how well they actually ride. Kiteboarding is pretty unique in that it doesn't require a lot of form to do it.

Snowboarders look great even when they are just crusing down the hill, but I see a lot of kiteboarders that look like hunchbacks.

Your stance is part of what makes this sport fun. Lean back, turn in the direction your going, lock your hips in, ride one handed, drag your other hand in the water as you go by. Enjoy the water! Go into every transition fast and slash it as hard as you can. Kill it!

:thumb:

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:07 pm

kitesurfing is two different disciplines.

Theres the riding part, carving turns etc.

then theres the jumping and tricks part.

Its a weird combination.

but there seems to be more importance put on the jumping and tricks.

Kaito
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown paulownia strapless kite surfboards

Postby Kaito » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:24 pm

Seeing someone with style, and without style ride are two different things.
I don't think style emerges unless the person is completely comfortable with what they are doing, and then there own personal 'style' is finaly able to be released. :thumb:
K.

tomtom
Frequent Poster

Re: Riding Style - Underrated?

Postby tomtom » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:46 pm

Dax wrote:It seems like a lot of riders focus too much on their quiver of tricks then how well they actually ride. Kiteboarding is pretty unique in that it doesn't require a lot of form to do it.

Snowboarders look great even when they are just crusing down the hill, but I see a lot of kiteboarders that look like hunchbacks.

Your stance is part of what makes this sport fun. Lean back, turn in the direction your going, lock your hips in, ride one handed, drag your other hand in the water as you go by. Enjoy the water! Go into every transition fast and slash it as hard as you can. Kill it!

:thumb:
Finaly!!!

Just riding with STYLE is great!!!

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Guincho, Sylt
Style: Big air, waves
Gear: Naish Pivot, Global, Monarch

Postby Dirk » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:44 pm

Agree. With family and job my time to ride is limited so the bag of tricks will stay basic. But I enjoy the riding and especially carving as much. Maybe thats why I like mutants because they give you a special ride and are great to carve.

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:47 pm

i love doing anytricks especially powerful kiteloop tricks but i still think that good waveriding looks absolutely AWESOM.

to be able to wave ride real well takes a lot a skill and balls in big waves.
very few go "out back" at our beach where the real big stuff is. except one guy who takes his surfboard out there :roll:

Mickey mouse
Medium Poster

Postby Mickey mouse » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:46 pm

While we are talking riding with "style", riding with one hand and the other running through the water = teh ghey.

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:50 am

Mickey mouse wrote:While we are talking riding with "style", riding with one hand and the other running through the water = teh ghey.
Geez you call that gay... I see somebody do that, I think: "That guy is having fun." I totally agree with Kaito... When you loosen up and start to have fun, that's when your style emerges, and you are a kiteboarder.

I think it was in Step into Liquid where one of the pro chick surfers said: "The best surfer in the world is the one having the most fun." I think that holds true in our sport.

After all the tricks have been done, the guy who's got the biggest smile and looks like he's having a blast is the best kiteboarder IMO. Guys who are out there killing it whenever they can, no matter what the skill level, those guys get my respect.

Ride hard and fast with control, but stay relaxed and remember to have fun. You focus too much on tricks and you will burn yourself out and forget that this isn't about what you can do, its about how you feel.

:bye:

Kaito
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown paulownia strapless kite surfboards

Postby Kaito » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:22 am

I think it was in Step into Liquid where one of the pro chick surfers said: "The best surfer in the world is the one having the most fun." I think that holds true in our sport.
:thumb: :thumb:

Great quote. Words to remember & ride by! :)

Just ride for yourself, and have fun doing the things you can!
Rgds,
K.

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

_

Postby ian c » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:34 am

It is great to watch any rider with a good style. Stink bug poo stance to ass dipper ain't such a pretty sight - they can have their fun but I ain't watching (unless they are REALLY sketchy.) TAKE OFF FAST - LAND FAST. I don't think a huge aircraft carrier suck to your feet helps style unless you are just waveriding either. The old unhooked video shows some sick styles - some of the riding in recent videos is very yawn.

Return to “Kitesurfing”