Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

slack lines when jumping

forum for kitesurfers

bucski
Medium Poster

slack lines when jumping

Postby bucski » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:55 pm

Tried a new board today, much shorter than I'm used to, was moderately powered, and loved the feel of the board.
However, I kept getting slack lines as I was landing jumps and felt a lot less stable in the air.
I tried to keep the kite moving whilst airborne, but I usually just park it over my head and then move it forward before I land, which in the past has worked fine.
Any idea why this is happening? Is it due to a shorter board or what?
Many thanks.

dutchy
Medium Poster

Postby dutchy » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:59 pm

sounds to me like you are swinging under the kite.... try to hold the rail in the water as long as possible and than go for take off. steer the kite and put your weight behind the bar. works fine for me :) :thumb:

bucski
Medium Poster

Postby bucski » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:56 pm

got that, cheers, just seems weird it has not happened before, maybe its because its easier to release the edge earlier with a shorter board.
And when you say keep your weight behind the bar, do you mean sheet in? Or push the bar away from you or.....? thanks.
Anyone else got any thoughts?

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitebored » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:13 pm

keep the kite overhead longer and dive it harder as you land... if you bring it forward too soon or too gradually, it will momentarily stall as you land... this isn't the end of the world but can cause some rough landings.

my guess is that the shorter board is allowing you to hold your rail better and thus jump higher. You're bringing the kite forward with the timing that you're used to, but since you're higher, this means you're bringing it forward too soon.

bucski
Medium Poster

Postby bucski » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:43 pm

right, that makes sense thanks

I also noticed that the landings were harder than I have been used to. Don't know if that makes anything clearer as to what I am doing wrong.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:00 pm

sounds like you are landing with the kite slightly behind you, or without anypower i.e stalled.

Review the timing :thumb: and or the release of the rail.

bucski
Medium Poster

Postby bucski » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:34 pm

I was thinking that maybe because the board is shorter it's easier to release the edge and that's why i'm getting slack lines. I'll try holding my edge for longer and seeing if that cures the problem
Thanks for your comments ,anymore advice would be welcome.

Lord of the Boards
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Lord of the Boards » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:53 am

The hard landings can also be caused by steering the kite back in too soon. By steering the kite down, you loose lift and make speed. If you land then, you have too much downwind speed, so after landing you will overtake the kite. This results in slack lines.
I think this is what you should try:

Jump just like you always do. Once airborne, steer the kite a little bit to the front, so it travels with you through the air. Just before landing, yank the kite down into cruising mode, land, get some grip, and get ready for the next jump.

bucski
Medium Poster

Postby bucski » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:39 pm

cheers lord, makes sense will give it a try.

Return to “Kitesurfing”