south africa report

forum for kitesurfers

gipseysurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

south africa report

Postby gipseysurfer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:02 am

just back from 10 days travel in south africa, rode 4 days in cape town and 2 days in the eastern cape near the town of george.
3 things i noticed.
1)the beach in langebaan is still going through renovation, all the kiters have gravitated south of cape windsurf center in front of pearly's restaraunt where there seems to be more beach. if its super windy you can head further south to shark bay.
2)domestic flights within south africa have a 25 kilo limit per passenger. sucks i ended up paying 90 bucks in over weight on a domestic flight that was ticketed at 200 bucks and that was after haggling.
3)plenty of spots to rip in the eastern cape, maybe some of the local riders can post these on kitebeaches.com
a)plettenberg bay: the lagoon is awesome flat water on any wind direction just make sure its high to medium tide so you don't run out of water.
b)buffelsbay and sedgefield offer wave sailing on south east ,south west or east and west directions. it's not as clean as blaauberg strand but still some nice faces for bottom turns and down the line rides.
c) these spots are a few hundred kilometers from legendary surf spots j-bay and cape st. francis.

happy riding for southern hemisphere members.
barry

webhiker
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby webhiker » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:43 pm

Just got back from 3 weeks in Port Elizabeth.
Don't know why no-one ever mentions it, its MUCH better than Cape Town, even has the nick name of The Windy City.
Very uncrowded, awesome wave riding, long unpopulated beaches....
No damm tourists....

Maybe I should shut up.

PS I did add it into kitebeaches some time back.

Return to “Kitesurfing”