Light wind boards

forum for kitesurfers

Bertie
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Light wind boards

Postby Bertie » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:34 pm

Lots has been written on light wind kites but not much on light wind boards. What gets going sooner short fat Twin Tips (Naish Airush Gaastra)or mutants/ directionals? What are the effects of fins ? I'm 75kg. Also big kites can develop big power can a short fat board handle it ?

RipItUp
Frequent Poster

Postby RipItUp » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:42 am

Bertie

Actually if you do a search here on this forum for light wind board you will see that it has been talked about to some length here.

Basically how I see it is you have some choices depending on the type of riding you like to do. Boards like the Litewave 179 are very good at getting you going in minimal conditions, but there is a performance trade off in using a board that big. Large wide wake-style boards become hard to edge if the wind increases, but are great for cruising in light wind. Surfboards and other large directional boards offer similar low wind ability, but are a completely different animal when it comes to the way they ride. With a surfboard you are not relying so much on the edge of the board like the wake-style kiteboards, but more on the fins and weight placement to pivot the board. Skimboards have also been used for low wind machines. The offer a very loose feeling type of ride, and require some new skills to learn how to keep them on edge and not allow them to be ridden flat. No fins and a flat skimboard make for a slippery ride if ridden flat. The Litewave 179 is probably the easiest to ride out of the three board examples above, and is right up there as a contender for the ultimate light wind board in terms of minimal wind plaining ability. Now there is another class of board that doesn't quite have the ultimate low wind plaining ability as a LW 179 or a surfboard, but is right behind them, and they take another knot or two of wind to get them going upwind when compared to the LW 179. These are boards like the Litewave Freestyle 145, Hana Crew D2, and the Gastra Satellite. The nice thing about these boards is that you definitely gain some low end plaining ability, but you retain most of the feel and performance of a smaller board. These boards also have a better range to them; meaning if the wind picks up you can still edge the board well, and handle the increase in wind. With these type of boards it is more of a choice to come in for a smaller board rather than it being a must come in and change boards because you can't hold the power of the kite. The other thing I like is that they take up less room in the truck; rather than hauling around a surfboard or the LW 179.

Francis
Medium Poster

Postby Francis » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:18 am

I have tried different board for light wind and have built two twintips. What seems to work is the less rocker the board has the better it works. My latest custom built board is 150cm long by 45 cm wide with no rocker except the tips flip up 3/4" . I can stay upwind in 10mph and plane in 7-8 mph wind using a Contra 19.5. When the wind drops to less than 7 mph , the kite has trouble flying.
The reason directinal boards, surfboards and skim boards work well in lightwind is that they have a large flat planning surface.
The board makes a huge difference in low wind. I think the board is more important than the kite in many cases.
I do have fins on my lightwind board 1.5" because I like the way it make the board ride. I do know a few people who ride finless, but the debate is still out as to what works better. Go with what works for you.
If you can, try out some different types of boards and find out what works for you and your conditions.

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:56 am

Hana Crew has just come out with the Raven. Similar to a skimboard, but can be ridden with straps. I have heard it works well with a 16M in 8mph or a 12M in 12mph. From the site - The RAVEN is the ultimate light wind board machine. It was designed from a skim board but we add more goodies to it for different type of riding. You can just use the board as a skim board, or put some Footstraps and one trailer fin or just a skim board with a trailer fin or just footstraps and no fin.
http://www.x-tremekiteboarding.com/shop ... =3&rtype=b

Bertie
Rare Poster

Light wind boards

Postby Bertie » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:08 am

Thanks for the comments. I have narrowed the choice down to:

Hana Crew D2
Gaastra Satellite/Cazy 8
Naish TTPro
Airush Exile
LW 145

Anyone riden any of these ?

MH
Rare Poster

Postby MH » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:54 pm

Hey guys ,you definatly have to check out this one !
It´s called the door ( and it really looks like a door) but it´s the best lightwind board i´ve ever seen!

!!!great upwind performance!!!

Bye Markus
http://www.spleene.com/shopindex.htm

shawnwar4586
Medium Poster

Postby shawnwar4586 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:28 pm

try a skim board!!!!!!!! there verry fast i weigh 220lbs and ride a 15m kite and i can ride a skim board in about 8knts.

RipItUp
Frequent Poster

Postby RipItUp » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:58 am

Thanks for the comments. I have narrowed the choice down to:

Hana Crew D2
Gaastra Satellite/Cazy 8
Naish TTPro
Airush Exile
LW 145

Anyone riden any of these ?

I own a LW 145 and like it very much. It is a lot of fun to ride and feels like a smaller board. I like it better with four fins instead of the six fin setup. I would not want to go with a wider board than the LW 145 unless it was a shorter board, as toe side turns and riding can suffer if you go too wide. I like that the LM has a Petex bottom for durability too.

I have heard about Gaastra Satellite boards creasing and breaking under load. I haven't ridden one, but people seem to really enjoy the board. It has kind of a strange shape.

Naish TT Pro: Have also heard of people enjoying this board. Down side is that at least the first year they were made I understand they had a Gelcoat desk and bottom which chips if you abuse it at all. This board has round rails instead of sharp rails like the LW has.

Hana Crew D2: I have heard good things about this board too, but haven't ridden one. I have heard no negatives on this board except they cost way too much $$.

Airush Exile: Sorry I haven't heard anything about this board, but you could check the Airush Forum for feedback.

ROLAVI
Medium Poster

Postby ROLAVI » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:17 pm

I'm 220Lbs and and really enjoy riding the Naish TTPro 134x47 with my V4 20m and X4 16m. The board is short, flat, thick, rounded rail, stiff with fairly big fins. I think its a great set up for me. It is rare for me to be sitting on the beach when others are out.

A big mutant may get going sooner and a big directional will definitely get going sooner. However, I don't see myself getting either of these types of boards. If I added anything to my quiver for lightwind days it would be a skimboard or strapless surfboard.

Ripitup has summed it up well:

"The nice thing about these boards is that you definitely gain some low end plaining ability, but you retain most of the feel and performance of a smaller board. These boards also have a better range to them; meaning if the wind picks up you can still edge the board well, and handle the increase in wind. With these type of boards it is more of a choice to come in for a smaller board rather than it being a must come in and change boards because you can't hold the power of the kite. The other thing I like is that they take up less room in the truck; rather than hauling around a surfboard or the LW 179."

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kiteboarddog » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:16 pm

Rovali,
Are you my long lost brother
I am 214 lbs
Ride a Hana Crew D2 a V4 25 and an X4 18.
Very similar set ups
I looked at the TT pro but it cost more than the Hanna Crew
The D2 is shorter and wider with more concave.
I have 2" fins on it also.
Joel

Return to “Kitesurfing”