Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is wrong with the kite you have now?

forum for kitesurfers

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

What is wrong with the kite you have now?

Postby windshreder » Fri May 13, 2005 4:16 am

With all the hype for the 2005s (H-fish, SS Machine, etc. ) what is wrong with the kites you own?

Nothing?
Something?
Everything?
Will a faster kite make you better?
Will a faster turning kite make you better?
Will a lighter kite make you better?
Will a kite that jumps higher make you better?
Will a smaller kite for the same conditions make you better?
Will spending $1500 on a kite make you better?
Will Cuben laminate make you better?
Will a Hellfish make you better?
Will you have more fun?

I think that the only thing that will make you better is more time on the water and pushing yourself.
What do you think?

(Not slammin anything, I'm sure the H-fish and Machine are great kites)
Last edited by windshreder on Sun May 15, 2005 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumball
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gumball » Fri May 13, 2005 4:48 am

The Hellfish will not make you a better kiter, but it will enable you to have more fun kiting compared to traditional kites regardless of your level. That's why we built it, to have more fun.

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Fri May 13, 2005 4:52 am

I love my current kites, I honestly coudn't ask for anything more, in fact I would still have a blast riding on the same 2002 kites I started on.

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Fri May 13, 2005 5:03 am

="gumball"]The Hellfish will not make you a better kiter, but it will enable you to have more fun kiting compared to traditional kites regardless of your level. That's why we built it, to have more fun.
Alex,
I hope you are right. I also hope the price comes down when you order massive quantities of the Cuben material.

I have having tons of fun on my current kites (including an 05 Yarga.)
looking forward to trying a H-fish this summer.

Trant
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Trant » Fri May 13, 2005 5:04 am

Well I guess most people focus on the negative aspect of the kite they fly (except in kiteforum, where suddenly brand x is the best thing since sliced bread)

e.g. I fly North Rhino Vs

everytime I pump it up, I wonder if the LE will explode
everytime I drop it in a wave, I wonder if the 5th line will shred it
everytime I pump up the kite, I wish I had a one pump system
everytime I unroll the lines, I wish there was only 4 of them as 5 tangles very easily
everytime I have to retrim a bar, I wish it was already set up perfectly

Am I happy with my kites? Absolutely. I'm stoked with them.
Do I wish they didn't have these problems? Of course.

But Fuels, Windwings, Cabrinhas etc. don't have these problems so they interest me.

On the other hand people flying those brands may wish they had the 5th line safety and other North features.

The grass is always greener my friend

:wink:

bluefalcon
Rare Poster

Postby bluefalcon » Fri May 13, 2005 6:14 am

My kite doesn't work when the wind sucks... or maybe it's me that sucks.

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Fri May 13, 2005 6:52 am

The kites I bought last year made me a better kiter. (Not that I am good.) They fly faster which made me better in surf and they are easier to jump with which made me a better jumper. If the Hellfish turns and flies even faster and has a wider range, theoretically the additional control should allow me to kite better. Does that make me a better kiter? I think it would allow me to perform at a higher level. So, whether or not kiting better is being a better kiter, I'm in and I want my 17M NOW.

dt

selah
Medium Poster

Postby selah » Fri May 13, 2005 7:38 am

I think the more wind you have the less difference you notice between different types of kites, so I think going to Maui or Perth or the Gorge or Fortaleza will make you a better kiter, regardless of what sort of gear you bring with you.

And what better way to progress than to fly something you don't mind crashing rather than freaking out if a wingtip gets wet. Seems obvious enough. Money is beside the point.

jason_ssr
Frequent Poster

Postby jason_ssr » Fri May 13, 2005 2:25 pm

windshreder, I think you have a valid point in regards to flying traditional kites. Most of them differ so slightly that buying a new quiver every year seems pointless. I own kites from Naish, SS, and Best, and they are fly just fine. in fact, I had a great session yesterday on my 16m X2 which was the first kite I ever owned and its still a great kite. I havent seen any significant evolution that would make me sell all and buy a new quiver.

Having said that, I think the Hellfish concept is different. It seems the prime limitation on kiting in general has been material. It limits everything from weight and size, to even color and availability (when there is a shortage). The new material allows for major advantages, from efficiency of flight to packing for a trip!! The idea of having a true 2 kite quiver is also a large savings compared to covering that range with another brand.

No, Im not on the list to receive a Hellfish, so dont think Im pre-hyping my future quiver. Im saying that as a kiter who doesnt really get into hype or industry bickering, and buys used stuff most the time, THIS is the first true breakthrough in the 3 years ive been riding that has made me even consider selling off and buying new at retail cost.

Well done, BEST!!

buttercutter
Frequent Poster

Postby buttercutter » Fri May 13, 2005 2:30 pm

It leaks air, and is dirty.

Return to “Kitesurfing”