Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The First Bladderless Kite.... HUH!?!?!

forum for kitesurfers

Pogibro
Medium Poster

The First Bladderless Kite.... HUH!?!?!

Postby Pogibro » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:11 am

Saw the Best press release for "the first bladderless kite" and was a little confused. I have been kitesurfing for about four years, and I don't remember ever having any bladders, and I have looked inside my kites many times. Did I miss something?

Could this be the expression of an "inflatocentric" point of view? Could that really be a word?

Nick-san
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Nick-san » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:20 pm

If you locate the intestines, you'll find the bladder...

I used to have some Davincis way back in the day. Must have been 5 or 6 years ago, but if I remember rightly they were bladderless. Definitely wouldn't want a bladderless kite now. Imagine having to repair you'r struts and make the repair air tight. Leaky bladders are bad enough. A leaky kite is a scary thought.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:47 pm

yeh almost as hard as repairing 'tubs' on a road bike.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:24 pm

LAMO, nick and sq don't get it!

Some of my oldest kites (purchased in 2000) have tiny pinholes all over the place from years of abuse/ launching on a rocky beach - I notice my kites also have no bladders but they still fly pretty well anyway.

Another thing no one has mentioned is these "incredible new" flatter wing shapes which might be available in 2006: they look just like the psycho 2 which was already on the market in 2004.

Why complicate a good thing by adding inflatable struts and leading edge? I thought simplicity was one of the main arguments for using LEI kites?

Trent

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:31 pm

i got it.... it just wasn't that funny... :wink:

difference with the new flatter wings is that their pivot point is well outside the frame of the kite. something you cant do with a soft kite.

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:37 pm

Ya, that humor was subtle.

I think another advantage of a bladderless LEI kite is it would be lighter than a foil because the foil needs the two skins.

A nice thing about inflatibles is they don't fold up during relaunch. I know some kiters are real good at untangling a knoted foil but it would be nicer to not have to deal with that.

Having the best features of both foils and inflatibles is a worthy goal.

dt

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mark van haze » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:03 pm

dt: my foils fold up at relaunch just about as much or little as my tubes. Dont spread pmu fairy tales please.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:21 pm

mark,how heavy is that speed ?

the_lone_wolf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby the_lone_wolf » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:04 pm

sq225917 wrote:difference with the new flatter wings is that their pivot point is well outside the frame of the kite. something you cant do with a soft kite.
with a full bridle on a Flysurfer you can alter the shape of the profile during flight (wac+/-). you can't so this with a solid tube kite without adding extra bridles like the old nexus

eg on the old PSYCHO:

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:56 pm

mark van haze wrote:dt: my foils fold up at relaunch just about as much or little as my tubes. Dont spread pmu fairy tales please.
I guess I have a different experience. I don't remember my LEI kites ever getting as twisted as the Flysurfer Speed in the recent video of the Speed. On the other hand, guys seem to do a great job of getting twisted foils relaunched like in the video. Also, in your defense, I have little experience with new foils because there is only one at the two spots I go to regulary and I rarely see that one in the water.

In my defense, do you really thing a LEI kite like the crossbow could get as twisted as a foil?

dt

Return to “Kitesurfing”