Questions about Hatteras NC before I visit this weekend

forum for kitesurfers

breathe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Questions about Hatteras NC before I visit this weekend

Postby breathe » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:36 pm

I'm heading to Hatteras this weekend with a couple of friends who are taking some intermediate classes at Real. The wind forecast on ikitesurf and windguru are looking promising, although I realise that it is still very early. Couple of questions:

Are and windguru forecasts accurate for Hatteras in general?

The forecast is for N and NE winds, so it looks like downwinders from Real (Waves) are south bound, what it a safe/good place to get out and hitch back (sound side)?

Is it really that easy to hitch back?

Does it make sense to bring a shorty?

Do you need booties?

Any other advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks and pray for wind!

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:09 pm

Breath, Ikitesurf is more reliable then windguru mainly because ikite gives a forcast from meteorologists and computer models together. Windguru give the wind put together from multiple sites combined to give its forcast.

If your in Waves and looking for a downwinder go to the parking lot @ 6-8 miles north. It is the 1st. lot you get to after leaveing town and it is just south of the ranger station. A good way to know where you are is when you get past the fishing pier, in between the 2nd and 3rd antenna towers, you are in front of Real Kiteboarding and you can stop there and walk back to Real. If you have 2 cars then leave one at Real so you have a ride back or you can thumb it. Most of the time you get picked up within minutes.

It always make sense to bring a shorty. When the winds change for too long, so does the temp of the water.NE and E bring warm water and sw s bring colder water.

Booties are just extra protection, especially in the sound.

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:37 pm

Hatteras kicks ass, I learned there 4 years ago and have been going back every chance since.
Are and windguru forecasts accurate for Hatteras in general?
No, not really any accurate forcasts for out there according to the locals, the weather changes so fast.
The forecast is for N and NE winds, so it looks like downwinders from Real (Waves) are south bound, what it a safe/good place to get out and hitch back (sound side)?
The best bet is talk to the guys at Real, they are all very friendly and will hook you up with all the info you need.

North winds are gusty but rideable in waves on the sound, s-nw are better. NE is side off and unrideable on the sound unless you have a jetski to come get you. On a north or NW launch at barton's Hatteras Island sail shop, just north of Real (and stop accross the road at top dog for killer burgers and sandwiches after riding), Real is not a public launch and although they would probably let you if you asked nicely they are trying to organise students and gear and you will be in the way. Anyway, ride downwind from bartons, past real to the slick, unfortunatly it will be gusty on a north, keep going from there to Salvo Day use area, which is just south of town, or keep going to planet of the apes for more flat water action, the landing area is another half mile plus downwind of the planet slick, make sure you know where this is ahead of time as it is very easy to miss. Bartons to Salvo is about 2 1/2 miles. Bartons to Planet is 7-8 miles. If you feel strong and adventureous you can keep going to Avon and any # of landing sites, But you're looking at a min. of another 12-15 miles past planet with very few access points to the hwy so be sure the wind is going to hold up.

If you are an intermediate to advanced rider the ocean is awsome on N and NE and offers endless downwinders. For sound riding on NE your choices are Kitepoint south of avon or a few Frisco sites.
Is it really that easy to hitch back?
Not that easy, but not too hard either. Drop a car if possible, if you only have one try and meet up with some kiters to give you a ride back.
If you're going to hitch:
Keep a shirt on.
Dry off as best as possible.
Make sure you do it before dark, forget about it after that.
Does it make sense to bring a shorty?

Do you need booties?
If you can, or if you get cold, bring a shorty and definitly a thermal top. N winds can be cool. Unless you like booties forgetu'm, although there are alot of shells in the sound, and people do cut their feet, unless you are a beginner walking all the time and paranoid of getting cut forget them.

Other advice:
If you wake up and it's windy go riding, now. It dosn't nessasarilly blow all day, and you'll be kicking your self if you missed 2 hours of 20 knots so you could get breakfast.

Watch for thunderstorms, they come in fast.

stay out of the grass on the sound side, snakes.

Go surfing if there is no wind.

Have a great time, I always do.

Cirrus
Medium Poster

Postby Cirrus » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:00 pm

One more last tip: if you don't get something to eat by 8:00pm or so, you may be searching around for a while ;)

It's a "family" vacation area so not much, IMO, in the way of nightlife, and a LOT of the restaurants close pretty early and/or stop serving much earlier than my NYC-schedule ass was accustomed to.

Beautiful place though - can't wait to go back next year!

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:08 pm

uncleneil wrote:Breath, Ikitesurf is more reliable then windguru mainly because ikite gives a forcast from meteorologists and computer models together. Windguru give the wind put together from multiple sites combined to give its forcast.

If your in Waves and looking for a downwinder go to the parking lot @ 6-8 miles north. It is the 1st. lot you get to after leaveing town and it is just south of the ranger station. A good way to know where you are is when you get past the fishing pier, in between the 2nd and 3rd antenna towers, you are in front of Real Kiteboarding and you can stop there and walk back to Real. If you have 2 cars then leave one at Real so you have a ride back or you can thumb it. Most of the time you get picked up within minutes.

It always make sense to bring a shorty. When the winds change for too long, so does the temp of the water.NE and E bring warm water and sw s bring colder water.

Booties are just extra protection, especially in the sound.
Your talking about the ocean right?

breathe
Frequent Poster

Postby breathe » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:20 pm

Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it.

Can you tell me more about the ocean side riding? I have done downwinders in Cabarete from a few miles north of kitebeach where there is rough shore break and fairly large and rough seas, so I think that I can handle ocean riding... but not sure. I know that it "depends on the conditions", but I'm looking for general conditions.

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:44 pm

Honestly,
What is your riding ability? Ocean riding on Hatteras all depends on wind strenghth/ swell size. In 20+ knot side shore (N,NE) there is alot of current and if the waves are med+ the shorebreak is reasonably heavy to pounding. It is all beach break and waves will be breaking up to 1/2 mile off shore if they are large and its windy, waves can be steep and break hard. Due to the current staying upwind is very difficult.

If you are a strong, confident rider who can keep your kite out of the water you will be fine. If you crash your kite alot you are not going to have much fun if the waves are more than waist high.

You will probably be able to tell once you see the conditions if you are up for it or not.

If you are, put your board on at the edge of the water, wait for a wave to wash up the beach then ride out on it, and don't be shy with the power on the way out.

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:37 pm

unsafe, Of course I'm talking about the ocean unless you know of a fishing pier on the sound side. If the wind is NE and you want to ride the sound then go to Kite Point just before Buxton. If the ocean then you can pick anywhere on the ocean between Oregon Inlet and the Hatteras light house. Don't worry about the current if your doing a downwinder either. You will have to go out pretty far to get around the piers so be prepared.

The waves in the ocean can be anywhere between knee high and triple overhead. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

thechenzo70505
Medium Poster

current

Postby thechenzo70505 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:01 pm

Last fall did an ocean d-winder with Unsafe and a few others on a head-high day, NE wind 15-20. If you can't keep your kite in the air, forget about it, as well if its big, ditch your kite leash. What surprised me was the power of the current, I had lost my board, came in and ran down-wind with kte in the air to where I thought my board was, fishermen were waving me 2000' downwind, I couldn't believe how far/fast my board was taken d-wind by the current. Moral- although fishing lines get in the way of some good breaks, fisherman are your friends.
wishing i was in the obx.
c.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:39 pm

find lots of Hatteras beaches here: