Forum for kitesurfers
fskite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why are the pros not using bows?

Postby fskite » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:02 am

Ive only had a quick shot on the Nova and I can definitely see them being used by pros whilst training ( everything happens so slooooooowwwwww and so Hiiiiiiiigghhhhhh) but I cant see the likes of hadlow or lenten using them for real. If this is wrong someone post a link of a pro really going off on a bow then I will eat my words.

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Phillipp » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:16 am

I could imagine a few reasons for that:

1. Not all brands have bow kites ready to use. Some of them are still in prototype stage and others don't have any.
2. As a pro rider I woud ride with the kites I feel more comfortable. It take time to learn how to do the same tricks with a bow style kite. The riding is different from C-shaped kites
3. A lot of the benefits from bow kites are not necessarily what pros require. If you are a pro, you generally have multiple kite sizes. So big wind range is not a problem. In addition, I'm not sure that they are too worried with safety that is offered by the bow kites.

let's see if some pros make a statement....

P

Larpy
Frequent Poster

Postby Larpy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:38 am

I have a friend that is a pro and he says that the pros that are being forced to use these bow type kites are really pissed. Because the big pro riders are really about wake style these days and not about jumping and waves (with a few exceptions. I'm talking about comps here) the bows don't offer any advantages and in fact are some what at a disadvantage because the kites are too quick. Kite loops are easier apparently but don't look as extreme. Just my 2 cents.

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:18 am

Check out Dre.

he's a pro.

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:26 am

I think when the pro's don't need kites that have big air, don't turn fast and kites that can't be ridden way overpowered the sport is heading in the wrong direction.

Buy a boat I say.

fskite
Medium Poster

Postby fskite » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:36 am

Rockstar wrote:Check out Dre.

he's a pro.
Id love to - Where?

Andy G
Rare Poster

Postby Andy G » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:41 am

No Pump ReQuired
Frequent Poster

Re: Why are the pros not using bows?

Postby No Pump ReQuired » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:45 am

fskite wrote:Ive only had a quick shot on the Nova and I can definitely see them being used by pros whilst training ( everything happens so slooooooowwwwww and so Hiiiiiiiigghhhhhh) but I cant see the likes of hadlow or lenten using them for real. If this is wrong someone post a link of a pro really going off on a bow then I will eat my words.

who cares??

Pros dont buy kites, its the weekend warriors that slap down their hard earned cash on new kites each year,

and they have been all been buying the bows by the truck load .

In My area you had to pre pay and wait 2 months to get one of these new kites and if you want one now you have to wait until November!!!!

Seems Joe average doesnt give a F#@K what Hadlow or any other kid
( pro) maybe riding...

NPR

fskite
Medium Poster

Postby fskite » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:45 pm

Cool! :D No kiteloops but give us some more :D so has anyone tried the switchblade and how is it diferent? Cabrinha says its more stable - so is the crossbow unstable? I think that the Nova somehow flies thru the air slower than a normal 12 but i have no idea why - maybe someone can explain.

btw no pump- I dont understand - you are saying that because the pros can get bow kites for free but dont - that is an endorsement? What planet are you on?

I could argue that all the weekend warriors are jumping the gun and would be better getting a 10 and a 14 nitro for the same price as a 12 bow! But maybe the switchblade will change that

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Postby kakanala » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:18 pm

PKRA Canada: Richman bros performed quite well on Xbows. They did climb well up in the ladder.

Someone :evil: will surely reply that if they are that good then they would have done even better on conventional C kites ...

Return to “Kitesurfing”