Local Beach: Montrose Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, NC & Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeriding and wave riding.
Gear: Kite - Slingshot Fuel
Board - North Jaime Pro (twintip)
Brand Affiliation: None at all.

Shockwave Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby kgb » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:14 am

I just went out on a shockwave on Maui in super windy conditions and rainy and overall gusty and guess what? I loved it!!!! one of the best sessions considering the conditions. Was it just me or are these kites awesome. I also saw one of the naish riders at hookipa and he was ripping!! what do you guys think about the shockwave?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:52 am

demoed the shockwave the otherday, in gusty Kailua conditions. I really liked the kite. I cannot understand why people say there is a lot of getting used to with this kite...I felt right at home, even though I have never ridden a bow type kite before.

a.

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rockstar » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:34 am

The Shockwave is a fantastic kite.

You can rely on Naish to get things right.

Your reaction was typical of bow kites.The "WOW" factor

MOST riders are super stoked with the performance.

Most,and I stress *most* users take to them straight away,and dont have to "get used to them". This is a myth perpeturated by those with a vested interest in "C" kites.For example,: A dealer with a warehouse full of C kites.Or someone that has just kitted themselves out with "C" kites.

This is one Myth. The others are: Bar pressure,too complicated,bridal tangle etc etc.
I had FAR more problems adjusting to a fifth line kite,believe me ,and MUCH worse problems when it rolled over in the surf and the 5th line wrapped around it ! Give me an inversion anyday !

Or,(to avoid the responses!) those rare individuals that either,(a) Prefer a "C" kite. Or the rare individual that find they have to "get used to them"

Trust me ( I know its hard!)

The vast majority of riders will have NO problems flying a Bow.

jeffrey
Rare Poster

Postby jeffrey » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:16 am

He guys is the range of the shockwave comparible to the crossbow???
Thx
Jef

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:34 am

jeffrey wrote:He guys is the range of the shockwave comparible to the crossbow???
Thx
Jef
The shockwave feels more like a C kite because its an SLE not a bow. The range is pretty similar although the crossbow probably has the edge due to its Flatter shape but its more prone to inverting so its a trade off.

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:07 am

Rockstar, when will you stop claiming you truth it the truth?
I have nothing to do with stock or sponsoring whatsoever. Like others I tested the Crossbow and Shockwave and I still prefer my C- Shape.

Please be a bit more open to opinions other than yours!
Rockstar wrote:The Shockwave is a fantastic kite.

You can rely on Naish to get things right.

Your reaction was typical of bow kites.The "WOW" factor

MOST riders are super stoked with the performance.

Most,and I stress *most* users take to them straight away,and dont have to "get used to them". This is a myth perpeturated by those with a vested interest in "C" kites.For example,: A dealer with a warehouse full of C kites.Or someone that has just kitted themselves out with "C" kites.

This is one Myth. The others are: Bar pressure,too complicated,bridal tangle etc etc.
I had FAR more problems adjusting to a fifth line kite,believe me ,and MUCH worse problems when it rolled over in the surf and the 5th line wrapped around it ! Give me an inversion anyday !

Or,(to avoid the responses!) those rare individuals that either,(a) Prefer a "C" kite. Or the rare individual that find they have to "get used to them"

Trust me ( I know its hard!)

The vast majority of riders will have NO problems flying a Bow.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:16 am

I think only the jumping is something you need to get used to, more like with a foil, but for not experienced rider it will be easier to jump with it. Just steer it to the zenith, pull the bar, and there you fly.

What amazed me the most was the short tacks you could do with the Shockwave. You can do several turns within a few meters. A C will pull you way more downwind. So if you have short running waves, you can still get some tacks on it with the Shockwave.

Greets
Toby

KidKiteRock
Medium Poster

Postby KidKiteRock » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:34 pm

I rode the Shockwave 12 for the first time on Monday.
The conditions were gusty 20-30.
I have spent most of my time on the Crossbow and Switchblade since August, But have not been out riding in a while to give a point of reference.
Two other kiters out were on 9 Meter C kites. another went out on His 13 C kite (experienced rider) and came back after a couple of tack as he was well overpowered.

Set up-: No hassles right out of the bag. Octopus (one pump) system works great.
There are Multiple Stopper balls with different levels of release. I was using the Middle one which is fairly easy to push through, For a more advanced rider I would put in the stopper which requires more force to release, this allows you to let go of the bar to un-spin with out the stopper letting go.

Construction; Okay, what the hell do I know? I don’t claim to be able to look at a kite and tell weather it is well built or not. I like to let time and abuse be the determiner of a kites build.
I have a lot of faith in Naish and their dedication to making a high quality product.

Feel :I felt instantly at home on the Shockwave. I know its not a "Bow" kite, But it behaved very similar to the Crossbow with a little more of the Switchblades C kite feel. it was very easy to tell where the kite was in the air.

Jumping: "to the moon Alice" Like the Crossbow it has the ability to get you up high and keep you there. One handed Jumps which can take some getting used to on a Flat kite were no problem. Keep the bar pulled in tight or you will drop quickly, once you get used to this it becomes second nature.

I did like the Landings after a big jump with the Shockwave. When you are ready to land pull hard on the front hand and come in hot with the kite heading almost in a down loop. Since you get a lot of hang time with these kites you will often slow down forward momentum. Getting the kite moving forward will smooth out the landing. The more comfortable you get with this the more fun you will have with it.

Turning: Very quick and responsive. Turning with a down loop is my test for kite Turing speed and responsiveness. The Shockwave will pivot turn so this is no problem. The first Time i tried the Down loop I was ready for the kite to hit the water. I was happily surprised when the kite came right around with little need for sheeting in.

Stability
: As I said in the beginning is was quite gusty, The shock wave felt very smooth. I attribute this to the "gas petal" like sheeting ability. I never got pulled off my edge or felt over powered in a gust.
I did give a few attempts to invert the kite. I will admit I didn’t try extremely hard as the water here on Cape Cod is not exactly warm. But I did get the kite wound up and then sheeted out quickly (which is a common cause of an invert in a flat kite) The Leading edge would luff hard but the kite stayed stable and did not invert.
Come warmer weather I will get this a more aggressive attempt.
I should also say that I have never had my Crossbows or Switchblades invert, So maybe Im just not good at it!.

Water Relaunch: No problem, Like the other flat kites I have ridden relaunching off the water is almost silly its so easy. Pull on an outside line, let the kite rotate and take off, Sheet out and you will not drag at all.

Self Beach Landing: Again No problems. Bring the Kite over the edge of the Window and sheet out past the stopper ball. The kite sit on its wingtip. It may move around a little. As with any kite I would not take me eyes off it, not because i think it will take off, but its just good safe practice.

You can then reach of and grab the center line ring and let the chicken loop go, the Kite will bounce a little until it settles to straight down wind.
Work your way up the line to the kite and secure.

Pack Up I will fist say that I never put my kites away right, and I am a slob. I decided since I was testing the kite I should test it all.
The kite folds up easily and fits in the bag with no problem. I know this can seen trivial, but for some reason a lot of kites don’t seem to go back in the bag easily once they have been used.
The pump has a place on one side of the bag and another for the bar.
The Board clips nicely to the back of the pack.
Being a general yard sale kinda guy at the beach I was proud to walk back to my van with everything easily in its place/

Overall impression Too be honest I was ready to be disappointed with the Shockwave. I have been so happy with the Crossbow and Switchblade and I was told the SLE was a different animal.
In stead I was very happily impressed with the kite from beginning to end.
I put three other riders on the kite that day and they were also impressed.
(two had ridden bows before).

For someone looking for a Very high Quality Kite with Excellent Control ,Massive depower, Tons of range. The Shockwave is a great Choice. Not to mention the Big air and hangtime.
I would put anyone from a beginner to expert rider on this kite with no hesitation although for a beginner I would attach a leash to the center line.

The Octopus System for inflating the kite from one point is defiantly a very nice thing to have.

Philip

I do sell Naish Kites, I also sell Cabrinha, Slingshot, Globerider and Gaastra.

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10

Postby Phil » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:38 pm

Thanks Philip for the review.

But what about bar pressure? :o
Especially in the low wind range....

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:48 pm

Bar pressure in light wind is nasty on most of the bows with the 2-1 depower, but to me its worth it. Small price to pay to have that much control at your fingertips. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”