A NEEDLESS INJURY

forum for kitesurfers

JMDPK
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

A NEEDLESS INJURY

Postby JMDPK » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:33 am

In the midst of convalescence from a needless injury...

I always thought with kitesurfing (in comparison to skiing/ snow boarding) that at least when you crash on the water - it don't hurt.

But was kiting in side onshore wind and incoming tides - and was seeing how shallow the water was that I could get away kiting in - (and partly because I wanted to get back to where I came from on the same tack rather than walking all of 30 seconds) -

reasonable fun kiting in one inch of water - and as the incoming wave came in - still a few mm of water to play in.

Then the wave retreats and I come off the board as the board digs into sand - and bang my knee. At this point the wind howls a bit more and I crash the kite from 9 o'clock to the ground - and I am flung to the ground hitting my right shoulder. This feels a wee bit painful so I wait and some one kindly stabilises my kite (I do not feel like letting the kite go onto the right handside wrist leash)

I pack up for the day and find I can't really move my right shoulder that well

To put and end to the story - I have a fractured hmerous with a crack on the greater trochanter - this is the attachment where the rotor cuff muscles insert - ie allow you to move the shoulder about. There might be rotor cuff muscle involvement also.

The point is I was not lofted; was not dragged; did not fly into anything - but have sustained a genuine injury that could potentially have been more serious.

I had never thought that being flung onto the ground - could break something

Perhaps fo has a point - anyone can injury themselves even in non 'kite-a-strophic' events - probably waist deep water affords the greatest protection.

And this was perfectly preventable by staying in deeper water

Hairy
Medium Poster

Postby Hairy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:25 am

Unlucky man..

It only takes around 2 pounds of pressure to break a bone.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:29 pm

Lots of guys have been injured in very shallow water. It looks so easy, right? Often it is, just not always. Heal fully and fast, thanks for passing along your experience.

Anything that reduces your buffer from hard objects, horizontally AND vertically puts the rider at greater risk. Bad jump landings are an obvious cause and have trashed a lot of knees and legs. Just catching an edge in very shallow water as happened to you can really do a number on you. It almost killed a visitor in Cabarete a few years ago. More at: #74 in the 2003 volume of the KSI at: http://fksa.org/index.php?c=22 . Even getting your board stuck in a soft or sticky bottom while under kite power can do some serious harm. Case in point #36 of the 2002 KSI volume.

All that power and an inch or few to go to digging in. It does look easy after all and usually is?

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:01 pm

you are not alone.

kiting buddy of mine only fell on his shoulder, not too hard, and bang, broken!
No hard impact. But that part, the back of a shoulder, can break easily.

Good luck recovering!

Greets
Toby

kiteboardingcentral.com
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboardingcentral.com » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:19 pm

Did a raley once in about 2" of water... didn't get enough height, nose dug into the mud and I ended up ripping a foostrap out.

Sucked.

Return to “Kitesurfing”