Forum for kitesurfers
KiteHighTaco
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best lightwind kite

Postby KiteHighTaco » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:51 am

Ok...so has there been a test done recently on all the new light wind kites?
I need a new lightwind kite and I want to go to the MAX end for light wind use.

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:19 am

go for Contra Bow !!! Awesome performance in the light wind condition!

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:29 am

I think your choices this year are the Contra 17 or the Waroo 20 ... then again, I'm sure the Flysurfer boys will be all over this one, with the speed 17 ..

I was out today in some pretty light winds... see graph below.. doing small jumps between 5:00 pm and 7 p.m. on the Waroo 20 with a SS glide board .. (btw I am 220) so for me to be even moving....is a miracle.

I got to look at the speed 17 .. and it sure didn't look that impressive although he had no trouble going upwind during the gusts, but the tips kept folding during the lulls and it seemed to stall alots.. not to mention sure did not look like it turned very fast .. eventually the kite hit the water and bow tied... I'm sure they're good kites but it sure didn't look like the guy was having a lot of fun... and he really had to work in keeping the dam thing in the air.. (these are just my observations from today)..

he actually put up a xbox 16 and seem to be doing just aswell for going up wind...

anyways I don't think you can go wrong. These days with any of the large light wind kites .. it all depends on what you're looking for, and the conditions that you ride in... most of the kites today have huge ranges..

I'm anxious to see what the ozone instinct 15 can do... but personally I don't believe it will have the same bottom end you can find in the Warro, Contra or even the Flysurfer Speed ..

Cheers
Attachments
ash_june26.gif
ash_june26.gif (18.96 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:30 am

Flysurfer SilverArrow - perhaps the most expensive kite out there, but a foil with superlight fabric will go lower than anything.

Waroo 20m may have a less steep learning curve though.

dimach
Medium Poster

Postby dimach » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:56 am

Hey Airtime, thanks for letting me to try the combo.
It does go very well. The glide is a nice board and W20 feels nice for a big kite.

Later in the day the wind picked up a little, and I pumped up my Waroo 14. Was out there until dark with my big Rogue Wave.

Glide planes easier and goes upwind better. But I had enough power to stay upwind and do very small jumps at the end (I don't like to jump with straps).

I don't think Cherry sensor shows wind at ashbridges well. "Toronto Int." is more close to what it actually is ...
Attachments
toronto_jun26.gif
toronto_jun26.gif (11.48 KiB) Viewed 2795 times

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:07 am

dimach wrote:
I don't think Cherry sensor shows wind at ashbridges well. "Toronto Int." is more close to what it actually is ...
I'm glad it came up for you ... the sensor I showed was frenchmans.. on an ENE wind its usealy close to what Ash is at ...

dimach
Medium Poster

Postby dimach » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:14 am

ok! Frenchmans should be pretty close :oops:

mikedonovan
Rare Poster

Postby mikedonovan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:11 am

Liquid Force Assault 19. Got to demo one 2 days ago and was blown away by its pull, speed and smoothness. Nice thin leading edge makes it depower and fly fast to the edge of the window. I was able to stay upwind in less than 7mph no problem - I'm 165. I hear a bunch of people fly them in the lightwind mecca known as San Diego. Must be a good sign...

zedsdead
Medium Poster

Postby zedsdead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:48 am

The SS TD 16 and Glide combo are awsome in the light stuff. I kept up to a speed 17 no problem but the mac daddy of light wind belongs to the silver arrow. Saw it in action. Last kite on the water by a long shot.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:26 am

Still havn't seen anyone out yet when I am using my 23,5 contra and malibu board.
Nico

Return to “Kitesurfing”